PDA

View Full Version : Mini 14 help

vf116
06-27-2011, 4:51 PM
A buddy of mine has a Mini 14 and it has a flash suppressor on it. For the part I need help with, how are those put on? I have tried taking it off, but no luck. Are they pressed on or screwed on? :confused: We would use it a lot more, but don't want to get in trouble because of it.

Thanks everyone!

23 Blast
06-27-2011, 5:07 PM
It might depend on which model of Mini your friend has, but to my knowledge, most of them are pinned on.

762.DEFENSE
06-27-2011, 5:39 PM
Having a flash hider on a Mini-14 that isn't a registered AW is a felony in California. I believe they are pinned on, or screwed on over the barrel. Unless your model has a threaded barrel, in which case you could take the hider off like any other AR and replace it with a muzzle break.

Best of luck!

23 Blast
06-27-2011, 5:58 PM
Try this website for better info. Those guys are Mini experts over there:

www.perfectunion.com

vf116
06-27-2011, 6:17 PM
Thanks for the input!

Lone_Gunman
06-27-2011, 7:00 PM
Should have a roll pin that you get out with a punch.

TacticalPlinker
06-28-2011, 2:09 AM
On the older models I believe most muzzle devices were "slip on" but newer models should only have pins, unless the barrel is threaded...

Having a flash hider on a Mini-14 that isn't a registered AW is a felony in California.

Not to change the topic, but is that correct? Or would that only apply to a Mini-14 with a pistol grip and/or adjustable stock? What about a factory stock? My father is looking for a muzzle device for his Mini and I don't want to piss off the commies by using an illegal part. Thanks.

biloutkast
06-28-2011, 7:04 AM
That's correct. Flash hiders are considered 'evil feature' even with a factory stock. It's illegal unless you have a 'fixed' magazine' (mag lock) or registered AW . Be careful if you get the John Mason muzzle brakes that have six holes on top. I've read on PerfectUnion they also reduce flash.

NewbieDave
06-28-2011, 10:39 AM
If it's a factory FH like the one below... it's threaded.

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/4802/dsc01126vb5.jpg

The threads are 9/16 x 24 (IIRC). I helped a friend change out his hider for a Smith brake on his tac-model. It's PITA to unscrew cause they really torque it in there, but it'll unscrew. I used a barrel press to hold the barrel and pushed a screwdriver into the slots, get a 5 ft breaker-bar to it... popped it right off :)

Note, it'll jack up the hider...

~dpc

vf116
06-28-2011, 2:07 PM
I haven't seen it in a few weeks, but I think that is exactly it ^^ like you said its on there... TIGHT. I was going to use a screw driver like you said, but it's not my gun, I don't want to pay for damages, wasn't 100% sure if it even was threaded.

Thanks I'll look for a pin first then try the screw driver.... better yet I'll let him try.

Thanks everyone.

vf116
07-30-2011, 10:42 AM
To anyone interested, I saw this on Ruger's FAQ page.

"How do I remove the flash suppressor on my rifle?
A Torx T60 bit can be used to remove the suppressors, all of which are installed with standard, right hand threads. All newly made (2009+) rifles are threaded -28 (22 and 223 caliber) or 5/8-24 (6.8 and 30 cal.)."

dfletcher
07-30-2011, 11:15 AM
To anyone interested, I saw this on Ruger's FAQ page.

"How do I remove the flash suppressor on my rifle?
A Torx T60 bit can be used to remove the suppressors, all of which are installed with standard, right hand threads. All newly made (2009+) rifles are threaded -28 (22 and 223 caliber) or 5/8-24 (6.8 and 30 cal.)."

That's interesting - plug the Torx into the muzzle and twist. Twist hard, but that's a neat way of screwing & unscrewing th thing as opposed to the flats on most style devices.

I always liked the Ruger cage, too bad it's a "no no" or I'd use it on my Mini, currently have an AAC brake on it.