PDA

View Full Version : Shilen and Noveske for an SPR (5.56/223)

shiv
06-27-2011, 5:47 PM
The pieces of my precision upper are coming together and it's time to buy a barrel. The rifle will be my own rendition of an SPR or MK12. The two barrels that I have narrowed it down to are;
1. Noveske 18.5" SPR for ~$465
2. Rainier Ultramatch 18" SPR for $365
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=815

THIS IS NOT A VS. THREAD!!!
I have no experience with either, but would love to hear from people who do.
The price difference is no object to me because after considering the included gas block on the Noveske the difference is more like $50.

I'm leaning toward the Rainier/Shilen because I really want to try the ratchet rifling and I like the 1-8 twist and the rifle length gas.

Every forum I have read, as well as reps from both companies, have reported 1/2MOA capabilities from either barrel with factory ammo. This would be exactly what I'm looking for! Barrel longevity is less of a factor, considering I will probably never be able to afford enough ammo to shoot out a barrel.

Has your Noveske or RA shot 1/2MOA? And what are your experiences with either style rifling or gas length?

IPSICK
06-27-2011, 8:48 PM
Not on your list but my 18" JP barrel shoots sub-1/2 MOA.

http://i51.tinypic.com/kaqfm.jpg

shiv
06-27-2011, 9:58 PM
WOW! That is really nice! What contour is that 18"?

fcr
06-27-2011, 10:29 PM
I have the Noveske and it is very accurate also, I have no pics, but I have had similar results as above. You will be happy with either.

IPSICK
06-27-2011, 11:05 PM
WOW! That is really nice! What contour is that 18"?

It's a proprietary contour by JP. Here are the specs:

Chamber: .223
Length: 18"
Gas system: rifle-length
Twist: 1:8 button rifled
Contour: .650 under hand guard/.875 in front of gas block
Diameter at gas block: .936
Muzzle threads: 1/2-28tpi
Crown: 11 degree
Material: 416 Stainless
Weight: 35oz

BigYellowApe
06-27-2011, 11:07 PM
have you considered the krieger spr barrel? mine is stupid accurate

m24armorer
06-27-2011, 11:59 PM
Barrel 1/8 p5 Schneider. I have the print for the correct 12th model can with brake and collar. You have Mod 0 and Mod 1. You decide.

shiv
06-28-2011, 2:54 PM
@ fcr: Thanks for the input, I'm glad to see what I can expect.
@ IPSICK: Thank you, I'm looking into it.
@ justinlemieux: I have looked into a Krieger, but their web site is VERY confusing to me (I have never ordered a custom barrel). Where did you buy yours from and do they actually call it an SPR contour?

Thank you everyone for the feedback on these tubes. I'm planning to make my purchase by next week.

IPSICK
06-28-2011, 3:16 PM
@ fcr: Thanks for the input, I'm glad to see what I can expect.
@ IPSICK: Thank you, I'm looking into it.
@ justinlemieux: I have looked into a Krieger, but their web site is VERY confusing to me (I have never ordered a custom barrel). Where did you buy yours from and do they actually call it an SPR contour?

Thank you everyone for the feedback on these tubes. I'm planning to make my purchase by next week.

If you do decide on the JP, consider their lightweight profile. It is the same (.650) under the handguards, but about .750 ahead of the gas block. Their proprietary profile can be a little nose heavy.

shiv
07-04-2011, 12:35 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm having a difficult time deciding. If only I could have the Noveske chamber and finish on the Rainier

SuperSet
07-04-2011, 1:01 PM
If you're not going to be running and gunning with it, have you considered White Oak Armament? I'm a very happy Noveske customer now but my WOA was very accurate, although short-lived (~7000 rounds it turned into a shotgun).

crowbar1
07-04-2011, 2:14 PM
If you're not going to be running and gunning with it, have you considered White Oak Armament? I'm a very happy Noveske customer now but my WOA was very accurate, although short-lived (~7000 rounds it turned into a shotgun).

WOW, is that a common thing with WOA?

killshot44
07-04-2011, 2:42 PM
You're complaining about a six-housand round barrel? :eek:

You should be more than happy with that out of a stainless match barrel. And .223s last longer than anything.

Most Benchrest and F-Class shooters rebarrel every season. Barrels are comsumable items, like powder and primers.

Shiv, check out http://www.whiteoakarmament.com and take a look at the SPR, SDM and Match barrels. You won't be disappointed.

shiv
07-04-2011, 3:19 PM
Shiv, check out http://www.whiteoakarmament.com and take a look at the SPR, SDM and Match barrels. You won't be disappointed.

I've looked at them. are they on par with the Noveske and RA? close to half moa with the right factory ammo?

SuperSet
07-04-2011, 3:20 PM
Since I take my guns to 3-gun matches and carbine classes, my rate of fire is probably slightly higher than highpower shooters :) No bumpfiring, though, promise.

PS. By 'factory ammo', I'm hoping you mean a big, long heavy bullet like 69gr/77gr Black Hills. So, yes, you can go sub-MOA with those with WOA/Noveske/JP.. any quality stainless steel.

shiv
07-04-2011, 3:29 PM
Since I take my guns to 3-gun matches and carbine classes, my rate of fire is probably slightly higher than highpower shooters :) No bumpfiring, though, promise.

PS. By 'factory ammo', I'm hoping you mean a big, long heavy bullet like 69gr/77gr Black Hills. So, yes, you can go sub-MOA with those with WOA/Noveske/JP.. any quality stainless steel.

Cool. Mine will be used for rec shooting and and occasional f-class. Either way, this particular rifle won't see high rates of fire.
And yes I mean 69-77gr Black Hills and PPU. Thanks SuperSet. Do you expect a longer barrel life from your Noveske?

SuperSet
07-04-2011, 4:14 PM
Yes, that's the primary reason I moved to Noveske. The Noveske Shooting Team is reporting barrel life at 10-12K with 0.75 MOA loss. So, they seem to hold up well. I have 3 of the 18" barrels now.

shiv
07-04-2011, 5:36 PM
So you've noticed a slight loss in accuracy with a Noveske? Or did I not understand that correctly?

SuperSet
07-04-2011, 6:05 PM
I haven't yet. The oldest Noveske barrel has around 5000 rounds or so. I don't expect to see anything until 10K or so, as reported by the Noveske Shooting Team.

shiv
07-20-2011, 4:13 PM
Thanks everyone. I went with a Douglas in a 1/8.