PDA

View Full Version : Three New General Discussion Topics

10TH AMENDMENT
12-27-2006, 7:46 AM
Kest:

What are the chances of adding "Politics", "Religious Discussion" and "Civil Liberties" to the Hot Topics forum?

I'll bet these would bring a whole lot of new life to the board!

Scarecrow Repair
12-27-2006, 11:05 AM
What are the chances of adding "Politics", "Religious Discussion" and "Civil Liberties" to the Hot Topics forum?
Those are separate topics?

Personally, I come here for discussion of California Guns, in particular how to work with the asinine laws and perfidious bureaucrats. I'd just as soon not clutter the forums with a zillion variations on Off-topic, just lump them all together.

blkA4alb
12-27-2006, 11:46 AM

Personally, I come here for discussion of California Guns, in particular how to work with the asinine laws and perfidious bureaucrats. I'd just as soon not clutter the forums with a zillion variations on Off-topic, just lump them all together.
I agree.

pacificcoast
12-27-2006, 12:11 PM

i agree i dont come here to talk about religion. theres a reason for the boards name/title.

bwiese
12-27-2006, 4:28 PM
I think Politics subject category is dealt with reasonably well as-is - keeping it into RKBA section keeps a gun focus on it yet still allows related side issues that are tangentially related to gunrights.

11Z50
12-27-2006, 8:02 PM
I'd rather keep religion per se out of Calguns. The Off Topic area allows discussions about nearly all topics, including philosophy and politics other than RKBA.

cnyankee
12-27-2006, 8:49 PM
I think those three subforums are an excellent idea. Having them would reduce the amount of clutter, when people post inappropriate things in the other forums.

It would be even better if those subforums were segregated, so that one doesn't have to get distracted by these irrelevant discussions when looking for California gun related information.

Ideally, those would be write-only forums: you can post to them, but the posts never show up anywhere, and can't be read. And while we are at it, anyone who posts on them is immediately banned from Calguns, for attempting to clutter it.

Look, if you want to discuss politics, go do www.politics.net (http://www.politics.net). If you want to discuss religion, please go to www.religion.net (http://www.religion.net). If you want to discuss civil liberties, try www.aclu.org (http://www.aclu.org) :D I, however, want to discuss California gun issues here, which are to a large part the strange legal environment we live in, and local issues like gun stores, leages and competitions, in-state PPT sales, and getting together with friends. And I do participate in several other discussion forums on issues such as religion and society (and my screen name there is not treelogger, hint: some of those forums are not in English).

+1 and seems its the general opinion

mblat
12-27-2006, 9:02 PM
I think those three subforums are an excellent idea. Having them would reduce the amount of clutter, when people post inappropriate things in the other forums.

It would be even better if those subforums were segregated, so that one doesn't have to get distracted by these irrelevant discussions when looking for California gun related information.

Ideally, those would be write-only forums: you can post to them, but the posts never show up anywhere, and can't be read. And while we are at it, anyone who posts on them is immediately banned from Calguns, for attempting to clutter it.

Look, if you want to discuss politics, go do www.politics.net. If you want to discuss religion, please go to www.religion.net. If you want to discuss civil liberties, try www.aclu.org :D I, however, want to discuss California gun issues here, which are to a large part the strange legal environment we live in, and local issues like gun stores, leages and competitions, in-state PPT sales, and getting together with friends. And I do participate in several other discussion forums on issues such as religion and society (and my screen name there is not treelogger, hint: some of those forums are not in English).

Really, why in a world we would want to discuss politics with our friends? Why would I care what other gun enthusiasts think about religion? After all there are some other site for it.

How about this: don't want to read what members of this forum think about general(non-gun related) politics - don't go to "general discussion" forum.
And about post in the wrong area - that is what moderators are for and they are doing decent job at it.

tankerman
12-27-2006, 9:26 PM
Kest:

I think it would be more fitting to name it the "Hostility forum"

10TH AMENDMENT
12-28-2006, 1:08 PM
I take it that would be a big fat "NO"!!!

Sorry guys...didn't have the slightest clue that this would be viewed as such a dumb idea.

I actually am rather surprised at the visceral reaction to such a naturally benign suggestion. :confused: Can't understand what is so threatening about having these type of subjects for those who would like them. Really, if one is so repelled or agitated by participating in such discussions, all he has to do is not read or participate in them.

It's kind of like those who get all wound up in their visceral hatred and fear of firearms...if you hate them or fear them so much, don't ever own one or be around them. In doing so, you will never be subjected to the agitation you experience regarding them because chances are you will never, ever encounter one in your entire life. Likewise, if you feel the same way about these types of disscussion topics, don't click on them and you will be fine.

Anyway, It was just a suggestion and I could really care less if it ever happens because I have no vested interests in pushing these type of discussion topics if it doesn't. :D

bwiese
12-28-2006, 1:23 PM
10th,

I think it helps keep Calguns focused if we keep to California gun issues, with RKBA issues as well. Things wander time to time (like me arguing about public employee pensions and cop IQ selection :) ) but generally stay on track. We also have one general off-topic forum.

MonsterMan
12-28-2006, 1:25 PM
Lets keep it focused on guns. We have an area for "off topic" stuff already. Thats just what I think.

QuarterBoreGunner
12-28-2006, 6:42 PM
Lets keep it focused on guns
Amen.

You know...

just to keep it topical.

ivanimal
12-28-2006, 8:38 PM
Kest:

I would hate to try and moderate a religion or political forum. Too hard to be impartial.

10TH AMENDMENT
12-28-2006, 8:49 PM
10th,

I think it helps keep Calguns focused if we keep to California gun issues, with RKBA issues as well. Things wander time to time (like me arguing about public employee pensions and cop IQ selection :) ) but generally stay on track. We also have one general off-topic forum.

Totally agree. Focusing on the important matters is what matters most in these trying times.

Suggestion is officially scrapped and filed in the dumpster.

Man, I love this place! Level heads always seem to prevail in spite of some of the hairbrained ideas that erupt from time to time. :D

mblat
12-28-2006, 9:01 PM
We need a medical forum.

Frank and I were sitting around our buddy Joe's Garage the other day talking about the CYA. Frank caught a fly and tossed it into the bug zapper. While I was watching Frank Zapp a fly, Joe blurts out "Why does it hurt when I pee?"

First thing I thought of was coming here to ask the Calguns hive mind.

;)

I just have to ask this: how do you manage to keep your post count at 0? I know that you no longer post here ( at least not that much - I think you were frirst to 1000 ), but still you do time to time. So how come it is 0?