PDA

View Full Version : Myth Debunked

MaHoTex
06-27-2011, 2:10 PM
So I made a trip to the local range to fire some shots out of my newly built AR. Got all set up and shot off a hundred or so rounds and needed a short break. So I go to my truck to grab a soda and notice a CHP motor officer measuring an AR15 upper. I thought "Uh Oh" here we go." I just kinda kept my eyes open and grabbed my soda and got back to business. Few moments later, the officer is standing in the range area kinda looking around. I thought it was going to be like one of those stories you read in the off topic area.

After a few moments his friend shows up with his new toy and they starting talking about this new rifle and having all kinds of fun. Well, as it turns out he was a normal guy that likes shooting guns just like me. :eek: (Shocking I know!) They both seemed like really cool guys and even referenced CalGuns a couple of time. In fact, the friend even made a comment to the officer and asked him if he was sure he was LEO. HaHaHa... I thought that was great.

Anyway, he and a buddy had this awesome rifle they were trying out. We all sat around and had some general talk about what we were going to acquire next etc. So, I went against the popular belief and actually talked to a cop and lived to tell about it and did not end up proned out! :rolleyes:

Bottom line is it is something in the blood with men. We like guns. We like shooting guns. We like loud noises from guns and the smoke, brass etc

Verdict: Myth Busted!

Yugo
06-27-2011, 2:20 PM
:).

ckim34
06-27-2011, 2:27 PM
wait wait...so youre saying that cops are just regular people too!? LOL

1911su16b870
06-27-2011, 2:28 PM
...Well, as it turns out he was a normal guy that likes shooting guns just like me. :eek: ...

We like guns. We like shooting guns. We like loud noises from guns and the smoke, brass etc

+1 thanks for the post, funny when real life turns out different than OT!

infernl
06-27-2011, 2:28 PM
I have LEO in my family, and I know that they're just regular folks - but still I'd rather just keep to myself while at the range. -Unless my LEO family members are present to ignore... lol

yzernie
06-27-2011, 2:45 PM
Thanks for your post, it is very welcomed here!!

MaHoTex
06-27-2011, 2:56 PM
Ya know, honestly, all of my experiences (not that I have that many) with LEO has been good. I have never had any issues like discussed in OT. In fact, my recent experience at the range is more on par with what I have experienced. This is including the instance where a local motor officer that gave me a ticket for 39 in a 25. (It was all his fault you know!) After he issued my fast driving award we just BS'd about flying airplanes (he saw my AOPA sticker on my window) for a few minutes. Huh... Again, I talked to an officer and didn't get arrested. Oh, the Humanity!

Shady
06-27-2011, 3:00 PM

hahahaha ya right

BigDogatPlay
06-27-2011, 7:29 PM

Someone alert the media..... quick!!!!! :D

MaHoTex you made my afternoon with that post.... thanks for sharing it.

tonelar
06-27-2011, 7:35 PM
The only time I was ever approached while at the range with a RAW was by a couple off duty Alameda Co Sheriff Deputies.

"we have a bunch of .223. can we try a couple shots with your bullpup?"

The ones spending their time at the ranges shooting aren't the ones to worry about.

MaHoTex
06-27-2011, 8:48 PM
To the CHP Motor officer and his friend. If you recall we were talking a little about learning to reload some Beowulf. After I left I realized I should have left you my contact info. Anyway, if you guys stumble across this post and want a basic crash course in reloading just drop me a PM and I would be happy to show one or both of you how to do some 9mm/38/357 and/or .223 Unfortunately I do not have a Beowulf, but the concepts are the same and you can take the same information and apply it to the Beowulf. Just find and use the appropriate components.

All, I was apprehensive to post the original message in here and based upon the responses I have made the right decision and am happy I did. Like you, I read that stuff in the other areas and my thoughts are typically like "Dude lose the tinfoil hat" or something like that.

Ron-Solo
06-27-2011, 9:00 PM
MaHoTex, welcome to the LE forum and reality. :D

Notorious
06-28-2011, 12:37 AM
How did you know he was a chippie motor? Was he in full uniform with his bike there? If so, was he on duty and wasting taxpayer time and money by playing with an unauthorized firearm, on the taxpayer dime?!?!?!?!

Or worse, he was there off duty but wore his uniform to get a discount at the range and maybe even ask for freebies at the concession stand! Then there's the possibility that he is an impostor! Wait, that is the most plausible since you didn't get harassed nor proned out and he didn't take your weapon without giving you a receipt.

If he isn't an impostor, then I call bull on your story. Nobody talks to a chippie without some consequence, they even ticket other cops!

fullrearview
06-28-2011, 12:53 AM
they even ticket other cops!

HAHA!:D

RollingCode3
06-28-2011, 1:12 AM
They do. I heard so many horror stories about them. :).

Notorious
06-28-2011, 6:39 AM
To be fair to the chippies though, they have improved a lot lately and most of them act a lot more human now compared to before when they were pretty much automatons doing their state ingrained routine of deciding if they were going to ticket you before they even get out of the car and talking to you.

kayaker
06-28-2011, 6:55 AM
I've found that most LEO's are nice people. It's the 5% that are buttheads that everyone remembers.

Roddd
06-28-2011, 7:46 AM
What's wrong with shooting while on duty? Firefighters have barbecues and volleyball tournaments on duty, why can't officers train with their firearms?

Tripper
06-28-2011, 7:54 AM
Lies, lies, it's all lies I tell ya

MaHoTex
06-28-2011, 8:07 AM
How did you know he was a chippie motor? Was he in full uniform with his bike there? If so, was he on duty and wasting taxpayer time and money by playing with an unauthorized firearm, on the taxpayer dime?!?!?!?!

I will only say this, the 10-15 minutes he was there was a good investment for the taxpayers based upon the positive impression left on the guys at the range. You all know what the perception (at least as discussed here in the OT arena) is when LEO rolls into the shooting ranges. This short amount of time spent with us was a good investment.

1911su16b870
06-28-2011, 9:42 AM
What's wrong with shooting while on duty? Firefighters have barbecues and volleyball tournaments on duty, why can't officers train with their firearms?

Sadly...most admins do not value shooting as they did 20 years ago.

Notorious
06-28-2011, 2:44 PM
I will only say this, the 10-15 minutes he was there was a good investment for the taxpayers based upon the positive impression left on the guys at the range. You all know what the perception (at least as discussed here in the OT arena) is when LEO rolls into the shooting ranges. This short amount of time spent with us was a good investment.

Ask any patrol cop here what would happen if they spent work time at a gun range instead of driving around the streets unless it was authorized by the higher ups.

MaHoTex
06-28-2011, 3:10 PM
Maybe he was on lunch? I don't know.

Notorious
06-28-2011, 3:33 PM
Maybe he was on lunch? I don't know.

No such thing. We are on straight hours since we won a settlement regarding FLSA and overtime. We work our hours without meal or breaks because we are technically "on call" at all times while on duty and we can never have a duty-free period as required by law.

safewaysecurity
06-28-2011, 3:36 PM
Well cops at the range are usually good guys. I met an SFPD cop there who was telling me how he carries on him 24/7 and he showed me his USP 45 and his Benelli rifle and all the other cool stuff. But cops off of the range... that's a different story.

Falconis
06-28-2011, 3:43 PM
No such thing. We are on straight hours since we won a settlement regarding FLSA and overtime. We work our hours without meal or breaks because we are technically "on call" at all times while on duty and we can never have a duty-free period as required by law.

yup, nothing says yay! like asking your waitress to bag up your lunch right after you ordered :D

Triad
06-28-2011, 3:57 PM
I shoot periodically. Its actually encouraged by my Sarge.

MaHoTex
06-28-2011, 4:49 PM

Wow man, I am sorry to hear that. IMO, that is indeed major bogus. Everyone needs down time and lunch breaks to perform at their best. When I go out to lunch I always see LEO at the restraunts eating. Usually there are 2 or 3 of them together and just assumed they had lunch breaks like the rest of us folks.

d4v0s
06-28-2011, 5:21 PM
A local sheriff borrowed my Evil Black rifle to show his fellow deputies how a Civilian converted AR15 looks and feels like the real deal, but then showed them what to look for an walked them through the Assault weapons flow chart..

He also cleaned it for me, and commented on how his next rifles will all be chrome bolts because the carbon just wipes off with no work.. So yeah LEO are just regular guys.

SVT-40
06-28-2011, 6:25 PM

Or worse, he was there off duty but wore his uniform to get a discount at the range and maybe even ask for freebies at the concession stand! Then there's the possibility that he is an impostor! Wait, that is the most plausible since you didn't get harassed nor proned out and he didn't take your weapon without giving you a receipt.

If he isn't an impostor, then I call bull on your story. Nobody talks to a chippie without some consequence, they even ticket other cops!

Off duty chippy motor officers are easy to spot.....The highly polished knee high boots, and the mirrored aviators are a dead give away...

Well make that any off duty motor officer......:D:D

JS89
06-28-2011, 6:31 PM
Motors get take home bikes, he could have been enrt home from work and stopped off to talk to a friend.

Notorious
06-28-2011, 6:37 PM
yup, nothing says yay! like asking your waitress to bag up your lunch right after you ordered :D

Heck, the very first meal I ordered on duty, I watched from my table as it came and right as it got to my table, a hot call comes out and we were out the door before the food was set on our table. When we finally got back, the chef felt so bad he made us new dishes instead of letting us just eat the cold food.

Wow man, I am sorry to hear that. IMO, that is indeed major bogus. Everyone needs down time and lunch breaks to perform at their best. When I go out to lunch I always see LEO at the restraunts eating. Usually there are 2 or 3 of them together and just assumed they had lunch breaks like the rest of us folks.

It's neither good nor bad and I don't want pity nor am I rubbing it in anyone's face. It's just a fact of life for us. We have a radio code to put out that is supposed to indicate we are on meal break (every cop knows it) but it makes no difference. Even if you put out a meal break, if a hot call comes in, you go. You don't sit there while **** goes down. You just don't.

I don't even bother putting it out anymore. I just go eat when I can and pray I get to finish it. As for the fact that you see cops in groups eating, yeah, it happens all the time but wait for a call to come out and see how fast they all drop their food and run out the door to go to work.

It's the nature of the job. We can go 8-10-12 hours without one call and basically be driving around all day, and taking it easy in break mode. Or we can have those days when it's call to call to call and not have a break or meal the entire shift. I have lost 5 pounds in a month when we were super busy because I skipped meals for that month.

Notorious
06-28-2011, 6:41 PM
Motors get take home bikes, he could have been enrt home from work and stopped off to talk to a friend.

Not allowed! Portal to portal! Go straight to home from work if you are wearing the uniform. No conducting personal business while in department uniform. He was at the range too long playing around. Gave the impression that he was wasting taxpayer money by playing on duty even if he is off duty. We can't have that perception even if it is not true. God bless community activists who have nothing else to do.

JS89
06-28-2011, 6:45 PM
Not allowed! Portal to portal! Go straight to home from work if you are wearing the uniform. No conducting personal business while in department uniform. He was at the range too long playing around. Gave the impression that he was wasting taxpayer money by playing on duty even if he is off duty. We can't have that perception even if it is not true. God bless community activists who have nothing else to do.

hahaha, nothing says wasting taxpayers money more than getting paid by DMV fees.

five.five-six
06-28-2011, 6:47 PM
Cool Story Bro
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-PYEHGJV6lTQ/TY-qHOUoIOI/AAAAAAAAH8I/0JcfSFPe_1E/s1600/chips-01.jpg

Notorious
06-28-2011, 6:52 PM

Too bad I didn't get to this before you edited it. Cops aren't supposed to get tickets. We are also supposed to get free coffee, donuts, and food. We also get to carry guns and buy guns nobody else can buy. It's food to be LE.

Everytime a cop gets even a warning instead of a ticket thanks to professional courtesy, cop haters here poop their pants over the injustice.

Tripper
06-28-2011, 6:53 PM
It's quite a misconception.
A lot of people see cops at starbucks or dunkin donuts or whatever burger joint it might be, and seeing them in groups of 3 to 6 or 8. And think why are we paying them so much to sit on their •••• drinking coffee for hours. Little does the public realize that they converge in those place because it's fast to get a bite and they can drop it and go or take the fast food with them in a flash, they tend to be in groups because they all got a bit of down time at the same time or they are simply taking a break, or even having all their discussions about the previous bust/call, but like he said up above, they are in call back status and when the radio beeps they're done, and might be another 5/10 hours before they get a break again.

Aside from that
No way a cop was nice and such. Check your stuff you've been setup
Sweep for bugs and nix that cell phone, they're coming to get that rifle of yours

JS89
06-28-2011, 7:05 PM
Notorious, I was just having some fun. I am a firm believer in extending professional courtesy whenever it is granted. What most people don't under stand is LE extends "profession courtesy" to the non-LE community as well, it's just call "spirit of the law."

five.five-six
06-28-2011, 7:11 PM
We are also supposed to get free coffee, donuts, and food. We also get to carry guns and buy guns nobody else can buy. It's food to be LE.

giving free coffee and food to LEs makes good business sense, especially in high crime areas, it cheep random security

Everytime a cop gets even a warning instead of a ticket thanks to professional courtesy, cop haters here poop their pants over the injustice.
how many citations have you actually written to LEs? seriously

ETA, given the path you are taking this thread, it belongs in OT now, I won't be posting in it anymore till it gets there

Notorious
06-28-2011, 7:34 PM
Forget it, I will stop joking here as well. I guess the cops here don't joke the same as the ones I know and work with. I don't ticket cops and I hardly ticket civilians. I don't accept freebies and I don't call out breaks. I just take it when I can get it.

Tripper
06-28-2011, 7:37 PM
Cops usually can't get stuff free at businesses it's usually frowned upon, but I agree it should not be prohibited
It used to be that way

MaHoTex
06-28-2011, 8:45 PM
Too bad I didn't get to this before you edited it. Cops aren't supposed to get tickets. We are also supposed to get free coffee, donuts, and food. We also get to carry guns and buy guns nobody else can buy. It's food to be LE.

I am all for professional courtesy... I am a professional too! It's all good.

MaHoTex
06-28-2011, 8:47 PM
Aside from that
No way a cop was nice and such. Check your stuff you've been setup
Sweep for bugs and nix that cell phone, they're coming to get that rifle of yours

:eek: Dang! I knew something was to good to be true! :D

jerkyg
06-29-2011, 3:53 AM
I feel bad for all of you....

I walk out my front door and shoot my AR and all my guns...that is the nice thing about living on a ranch.

Stay safe...

jerkyg
06-29-2011, 3:59 AM
BTW....this is my daughter...who loves lady GAGA...I know...I have to deal with it.

But, this is off my back deck...she is cute...that's my girl. Good form...

Stay safe...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjD2hj-eMzo

geeknow
06-29-2011, 5:36 AM
good story by the op. Even better responses by our LE brethren here.

LaLa
06-29-2011, 12:02 PM
Cute story OP!

Heck, the very first meal I ordered on duty, I watched from my table as it came and right as it got to my table, a hot call comes out and we were out the door before the food was set on our table. When we finally got back, the chef felt so bad he made us new dishes instead of letting us just eat the cold food.

As a "waitress" (and an aspiring future LE :) ) I know that I'm more than happy to box things up for our local LE's if they get a call and need to leave in a hurry or just redo the order when they get back. We usually try to seat our LE somewhere they won't have public interaction so they can at least eat in peace because more often than not someone will walk by them and say "hey can I ask you guys a question? I have these really annoying neighbors..."

Notorious
06-29-2011, 1:06 PM
BTW....this is my daughter...who loves lady GAGA...I know...I have to deal with it.

But, this is off my back deck...she is cute...that's my girl. Good form...

Stay safe...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjD2hj-eMzo

What?!?!? You didn't teach her the magpul way way forward vertical grip and left arm cocked up at a perpendicular angle style of shooting? She is not keeping up with the latest fashions and she'll be made fun of by her Lady Gaga peers!!! Oh noes!!!

jerkyg
06-29-2011, 5:41 PM
LaLa...

I too was a service person and bartender when I went to San Jose State.

I appreciate that you would have the LEO's seated away from the crowd. I remember having some guy as we were eating come up to us to share that our parking lights were on. And I remember my FTO ask him what those lights are called. When the customer stated "parking lights"...my FTO said..."and what are our cars were doing?"...Parked. LOL

Stay safe...

Cute story OP!

As a "waitress" (and an aspiring future LE :) ) I know that I'm more than happy to box things up for our local LE's if they get a call and need to leave in a hurry or just redo the order when they get back. We usually try to seat our LE somewhere they won't have public interaction so they can at least eat in peace because more often than not someone will walk by them and say "hey can I ask you guys a question? I have these really annoying neighbors..."

Falconis
06-29-2011, 5:53 PM
I always appreciate the 20 to 30 minutes of calm I can get each day. Calm or laughter depending on who else can join me for that past midnight meal.

Cute story OP!

Falconis
06-29-2011, 5:59 PM
joke? what's that? I think the pinheads in our department are trying to write it into our GO's that joking is now punishable by terminiation. My whole squad is ****ed.

Notorious
06-30-2011, 9:45 AM
We actually get to laugh a lot when we can but that's in between the crying we do from the sheer stupidity of what we see.

1911su16b870
06-30-2011, 10:36 AM
We actually get to laugh a lot when we can but that's in between the crying we do from the sheer stupidity of what we see.

+1 and a bunch to that brother!