PDA

View Full Version : Optic Mounting

CBRKURT
06-27-2011, 2:01 PM
Is it ok to mount a red dot optic on the railed handguard of a AR15? The reason I ask is that I am going to get a Vortex Strikefire and 3x magnifier and I am using the Magpul BUIS. I have heard that the Vortex magnifier will not fit over the top of the Magpul sights. Any input would be appreciated.

tomd1584
06-27-2011, 2:11 PM
what type of handguard? even with a quality rail like the DD lite, you may have a wandering zero. I'd avoid it if possible.

I would get a good cantilever mount for the strikefire, and/or remove your buis. Removing it may be the cheaper way to go.

CBRKURT
06-27-2011, 2:17 PM
It's a Spike's Tactical Handguard. The magnifier comes with a cantilever mount but I may just have to take off the sites.

rdmax
06-27-2011, 4:07 PM
If the hand guard is solid and does not twist in any way, then mounting the sight on the rail will probably be fine. However, if you mount the magnifier forward of the BUIS, you may not have the proper eye relief. There is not much eye relief on those type of magnifiers, so you may have to take the BUIS out anyway.

CBRKURT
06-27-2011, 4:51 PM
Well, once I get the optics in and install I guess I'll find out for sure. I would like to keep my BUIS on the rifle. but if not it's no big deal.