PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions

Jrock408
06-27-2011, 12:31 PM
Hey guys went out to the range about a month ago and shot a shotgun for the first time. It was a Remington 870 I think.anyway came home with a sore shoulder and a want for more shooting time. My question is what are the proper techniques for shooting a shotgun and if I were in the market to purchase would a 870 be the way to go or is there something better out there for a newbie.I am 20 and would want to use this for home defense and some fun shooting at the range or maybe even try out skeet shooting. I know not just one gun can do every single task but maybe a couple suggestions for HD then some fun shooting ones. Thanks guys

SoCal Bob
06-27-2011, 12:40 PM
Hold the shotgun as tight as you can to your shoulder. There are a variety of recoil pads available, some are worn kind of like a vest while others replace the existing buttstock pad or will just slip on. Big 5 frequently has a Mossberg combo set on sale for about $300 that features both an 18 1/2" and a 28" barrel.

Good luck.

temilotzin21
06-27-2011, 12:52 PM
I don't know about better but I got my Mossberg 500 for the very reasons you stated. I would recommend getting the combo too, after I tried trap shooting I loved it and had to get another barrel.

FUBAR
06-27-2011, 1:49 PM
I second the Mossberg 500 combo at Big 5.