PDA

View Full Version : First AR All Done!

hideboiler
06-27-2011, 10:58 AM
http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff437/dsloan394/SAM_0874Large.jpgJust finished. Stared life as a 7.62X39 System until I got tired of looking for magazines that have feeding issues when you do find them. Plus they're super expensive and I put ZERO thought into that before I started the project. So I built out a duplicate upper in 5.56 that I happen to have tons of mags for and was able to put 320 rnds down range yesterday after I dialed in the sights. No issues, even when I dumped 90 rounds thru it as fast as my finger would move. Specs on both uppers are 16" Citadel Mid Length Barrel, Troy Industries Rail, Magpul Sights, Stalk, Grip, Sling plate and trigger Guard. Both uppers are also JD Machine with FN Bolt Carrier Group and a BCM Gunfighter Charging handle. The Trigger Group is a Timney AR10 style with 4lb pull. EoTech is an EXPS3-0, that too is a very cool setup I must say. not the most expensive, but it's pretty f'n cool! In full disclosure I did custom order the upper from Alpha Shooting Sports in Long Beach. They had a line on 7.62 barrels and the matching JD Upper I wanted. They were so great to work with they earned my business back for the 5.56. The lower I did myself. Have not installed my JP Machine Muzzle Break yet, that's this weekend. Anyhow, this was my first AR Style hot rod and I must say I'm SUPER impressed. Would like to see what a gas piston operated version runs like, I hear all the stories but I need to try for myself. No onto my 3.08 after I digest the cost of this little project and have some fun with it.

RMTactical
06-27-2011, 11:01 AM
Has this one given you troubles? If not, how could a piston be any better?

hideboiler
06-27-2011, 11:06 AM
This has not given me an troubles no, i've only heard the Piston operation is for one cleaner since no gas comes back and dirties up the BCG and action, but also read some folks say it fires totally different. dont know what that means, which is why I would just like to fire one.

RMTactical
06-27-2011, 11:36 AM
Pistons are a gimmick. They make the gun generally heavier and less accurate. On top of that, they are all different from each other.

The DI AR15's have proven themselves in combat over the course of decades. It's all about buying quality parts and doing proper maintenance (lube).

mlevans66
06-27-2011, 11:37 AM
Niiice, set up! Looking good, real good. Like the desert tones and pelican case. What is the twist rate on your 5.56 barrel? I have to hate on something else I won't be me. I don't like your stock, so there. :D

mlevans66
06-27-2011, 11:40 AM
Pistons are a gimmick. They make the gun generally heavier and less accurate. On top of that, they are all different from each other.
What is your bases for this? Have you tried the newer systems such as Adamsarms, LWRC, POF?
The DI AR15's have proven themselves in combat over the course of decades. It's all about buying quality parts and doing proper maintenance (lube).
True to a point but think of the piston system as an evolution of the AR

I have to disagree on your above points and answered them in bold.

FatalKitty
06-27-2011, 11:50 AM

the biggest gripe with piston designs is parts availability.
say something goes wrong, breaks or you need a spare part - good luck.
if you have a conventional system as used by nearly everyone in the world then replacement parts are easy, and someone in your group may even have a spare laying around.

mlevans66
06-27-2011, 11:56 AM
the biggest gripe with piston designs is parts availability.
If you're referring to SHTF situations then there may be an issue. If not to call the maker of the upper and the parts can get to you in a couple of days.

say something goes wrong, breaks or you need a spare part - good luck.
if you have a conventional system as used by nearly everyone in the world then replacement parts are easy, and someone in your group may even have a spare laying around. Depends of where you're at. If fighting with the Brits then no, because they are still mainly using Bullpups. Other places still have different designs on there weapons. If anything just get an AK and call it a day.

I beg to differ, kitty.

hideboiler
06-27-2011, 11:59 AM
It's a 1-9 Twist. I had the MOE stalk at first but wanted somewhere to put my batteries so I bought the ACS. I was not sure if I'd like it other than the storage part but truth be told I actually like the additional thickness on the stock where the batteries go as a cheek rest, it's very comfortable. It was an unintended consequence however over the leaner MOE.

762.DEFENSE
06-27-2011, 12:23 PM
Congratulations on the build! :thumbsup:

MrExel17
06-27-2011, 1:46 PM
Nice build, diggin the FDE, congrats!

strakill
06-27-2011, 4:24 PM
I like it, good build. The more I see these two tone rifles the more I like the look.

HK Dave
06-27-2011, 5:03 PM

What he said, pistons in "AR15s" are a gimmick. They change the recoil pulse making the rifle lose accuracy... a DI AR uses gas to move the bolt, the Piston is a metal rod that moves as you shoot and slams into your bcg in a rifle never designed to do that.

LMT is the only maker that i know of that did everything possible to build a piston that fired like a DI. LWRC is also a great company with good piston guns, but if accuracy is your ultimate goal, LWRC is not the right choice.

I'm really surprised people STILL fall for the "Piston AR" thing.

HK Dave
06-27-2011, 5:03 PM
Oh and BTW, nice rifles! They look awesome!

fuzz415
06-27-2011, 8:41 PM
Hawt build! Looks awesome.

Outta Control
06-27-2011, 8:43 PM
Pistons are a gimmick. They make the gun generally heavier and less accurate...

FUD!!!! I went to an customer event and just came back from a 2-day Tactical Carbine II course with an piston driven AR with over 3K rounds through it w/o prior cleaning at a windy, dusty Nevada location with zero failure and an accuracy shot at 150 yards top steel target under heavy use.

http://s1085.photobucket.com/albums/j439/OuttaControl46/i-6BfMpP4-XL.jpg

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j439/OuttaControl46/i-LxLJ37F-XL.jpg

ZX-10R
06-28-2011, 7:17 AM
Nice.