PDA

View Full Version : routine at the range

sonnyt650
06-27-2011, 7:17 AM
So a question for all you factory barrel Remington guys that can consistently shoot sub-moa groups all day: when do you clean your barrels? If at your range you have twenty minutes how many groups do you fire off? I'm interested in other-than-Remington opinions too, but those apply most to me.

For my stainless (Cabela's has them) .308 SPS Varmint I noticed I get really tight groups that are easily sub-moa at the beginning but this degrades until I get 1" or worse groups by shot 70. I haven't historically cleaned barrels at the range but I'm thinking about cleaning after every other group now. I'm also going to try slowing down to two groups every 20 minutes with extra time spent shooting one of the ARs.

CK_32
06-27-2011, 9:42 AM
After every 50 rounds. Or after the day is done. That barrel break in stuff is all bs and mind over matter.

And for that sps v look at getting a used sps tac hoague or 700p stock it will make the world of difference being pillar bedded and a tad stronger and better made than the v model.

thrillhouse700
06-27-2011, 9:51 AM
Your groups might also get worse because the same reason mine do. Fatigue....

I used to be able to shoot consistent groups for 20 mins then they would start opening up. Now I can shoot consistent for about 45 mins. Take a break and don't bother aiming much with the red dot AR or go BS with friends then come back.

I don't really shoot for groups anymore now its fun to bang steal plates and blow up water bottles.

NorCalK9.com
06-27-2011, 10:07 AM
Your groups might also get worse because the same reason mine do. Fatigue....

I used to be able to shoot consistent groups for 20 mins then they would start opening up. Now I can shoot consistent for about 45 mins. Take a break and don't bother aiming much with the red dot AR or go BS with friends then come back.

I don't really shoot for groups anymore now its fun to bang steal plates and blow up water bottles.

Off topic.
Where do you guys go that you can shoot steel targets or warer bottles? Im in the bay area and only have seen paper targets at our ranges

bender152
06-27-2011, 10:14 AM
Off topic.
Where do you guys go that you can shoot steel targets or warer bottles? Im in the bay area and only have seen paper targets at our ranges

Los Altos has a tin can area. You can shoot soda cans and water bottles (which you can fill with water if you want).

One area is at 40yds, the other is at 100yds.

NorCalK9.com
06-27-2011, 10:18 AM
Los Altos has a tin can area. You can shoot soda cans and water bottles (which you can fill with water if you want).

Thanks bud Im in byron ca so its a little drive but I may have to head over there one of these days.

thrillhouse700
06-27-2011, 10:25 AM
I'm in Socal so I shoot at Lytle Creek most of the time and sometimes at Angeles.

RugerNo1
06-27-2011, 11:42 AM
Your groups might also get worse because the same reason mine do. Fatigue...

From personal experience, fatigue (body and eye) is the biggest cause for groups opening up.

Either shoot more and build up your stamina, get a brake for your rifle, or both.

diego-ted
06-27-2011, 12:14 PM
About 50 rounds of precision shooting and I am done! tired pooped, ect. That's when I clean, at home when I am done shooting.

Diego

sonnyt650
06-27-2011, 1:34 PM
I haven't considered fatigue where after .308s start to get wild the .223s make me feel better about my shooting, and I sometimes just shoot until I'm out of ammo :p. I'll also still shoot handgun afterwards since my situation unfortunately involves over a half hour drive to get to the range I like to frequent.

@Diego -- that's pretty close to the round count of the first two sessions for me so I'd be done in less than an hour. How long do those 50 rounds take you?

MrPlink
06-27-2011, 2:58 PM

Los Altos Rod and Gun I take it?

UBFRAGD
06-27-2011, 6:17 PM
Not one mention of the CCB. That's always the money shot, and how a sniper (and a hunter too for that matter) kills. Or am I being too MallNinja?

I was at Chabot a couple months ago and the rifle line was full or nearly full. Only two tables had cleaning rods, one was mine.

Nate87
06-27-2011, 6:25 PM
I clean my 700 after every trip with Bore Tech and Wipeout foam to get what got missed.

When at the range I always take a few rounds to foul the barrel and record the results for the cold bore(which consistantly shoots the same every time) as well as the follow on shots. For my rifle I've noticed my rounds walk down until they settle to the zero'd position then I fire away.

I would also say fatigue is a major factor in group sizing. The best thing I did was get a Karsten cheek riser so that way I'm not stressing out my neck/head to look down the glass, but rather just laying in place and resting the entire time.