PDA

View Full Version : Zeroing an Optic..

CrossedRifles
06-26-2011, 9:39 PM
Hello. Just recently purchased my first glass and I'm wondering which method of zeroing it will be the easiest and fastest. The optic a Leupold MR/T 1.5-5 M2.

Are there inexpensive devices out there that can help me zero the rifle without shooting a lot?

The ammunition I use is around a buck a round so I don't want to keep guessing.

Thanks.

chead
06-26-2011, 9:42 PM
You can use a laser bore sight (either one that you can chamber like a bullet or one you put at the end of the barrel). Alternatively if you have irons that are zeroed you can get pretty close just working from them. Those methods will just get you on the paper, though.

RugerNo1
06-26-2011, 9:43 PM
Four shot sighting method (http://www.accurateshooter.com/optics/4shot-sightin/)

Timberwolf
06-26-2011, 9:46 PM
Start with a bore sighter to align the scope with your bore. The put a target at 30 - 35 yards - fire one round, then with your rifle sand bagged move the turrets until your reticle is centered over the hole. Fire one more round to confirm them move target to 100 and fine ture.

Divernhunter
06-26-2011, 10:22 PM
I do the above but at 25 yards to start with.

supertrooper
06-27-2011, 2:02 AM
dont waste money on a laser bore sighter. take out the bolt and look through the barrel at the target and without moving the gun adjust the scope. use the knobs to move the retical to the same point that you see looking down the barrel. that should get yoi close. this has be covered a couple hundred times befor. search is your friend.

The War Wagon
06-27-2011, 3:02 AM
Cartridge-style laser bore sighter. Best thing since sliced bread.

I charge friends $10 a pop to laser bore sight THEIR optics. If you have three friends and a common caliber (.223, .308), the cartridge MAKES you money by the time you're done. :D Saves you on ammo, too.

frankm
06-27-2011, 8:13 AM
Four shot sighting method (http://www.accurateshooter.com/optics/4shot-sightin/)

Oh that's good. I would count my clicks and move my crosshairs, then shoot again, repeat until on target. Der.

thrillhouse700
06-27-2011, 8:54 AM
Cartridge-style laser bore sighter. Best thing since sliced bread.

I charge friends $10 a pop to laser bore sight THEIR optics. If you have three friends and a common caliber (.223, .308), the cartridge MAKES you money by the time you're done. :D Saves you on ammo, too.

Wow you are a really good "friend"

Almost as good as my old friend who would charge people for gas money and wear and tear on his vehicle when it was his turn to drive.

NewbieDave
06-27-2011, 9:45 AM
Well... all I have to add is "Sandbag"

Whichever method you want to use... 1, 2, 3, 4, etc shots... that don't matter as much as having both your front and rear sandbag and supported.

~dpc

CK_32
06-27-2011, 9:50 AM
if your shooting from a bolt action or something at 100 yards I mark my own boards every 1" and take 4 shots and where ever the center of that is I made the adjustments of how many MOA im off... Then I do a 3 shot string to either confirm or fine tune my scope.

This is more twords a rifle scope not a red dot and for a longer range gun.. So this may not apply. But it should be the same just do it at 25 to 50 yards.

CrossedRifles
06-27-2011, 10:31 AM
It's an AR. So I'm wondering if it's the same.

Would I just take out the BCG and look down the barrel? Or is there a different process?

Z.1
06-27-2011, 12:09 PM
It's an AR. So I'm wondering if it's the same.

Would I just take out the BCG and look down the barrel? Or is there a different process?

Yup. Same thing.

MTG Firearms
06-27-2011, 12:16 PM
dont waste money on a laser bore sighter. take out the bolt and look through the barrel at the target and without moving the gun adjust the scope. use the knobs to move the retical to the same point that you see looking down the barrel. that should get yoi close. this has be covered a couple hundred times befor. search is your friend.

This is what I do and it works great. Good luck

r3dn3ck
06-27-2011, 12:29 PM
a 15 dollar bore collimator will do just as well provided your scope is low on the gun. for AR's, that's never the case thanks to the gas block height.

I use the 25yrd - 100yrd method. Then fine adjust at 100yrds.

NewbieDave
06-27-2011, 10:00 PM
If it's an AR... take that upper off and place it on sandbags. Bore sight it to targe at 25 yds, now adjust your scope's crosshair onto the same target. Now you put it all together and put 3 rounds downrange. Go from there.

kozumasbullitt
06-27-2011, 10:39 PM
I zero at 50 yards,
eye ball the scope so I can hit paper on the first shot,
Fire a round with the crosshairs at bullseye,
Steady the rifle (a second person or vise) and get the crosshairs to the bullseye and now adjust the crosshairs to the bullet hole from the first round fired.

Zeroed! I personally prefer to shoot a 3 round group and align the crosshairs to the center of the group.