View Full Version : swapping in a cartridge in a Benelli semi

06-26-2011, 8:40 PM
I'm thinking about buying a Benelli M2 or the likes, but there is one thing I cannot figure out despite having been googling for answers. I'm trying to figure this out because I shoot left-handed and I want to know whether I'll be able to operate a right-handed shotgun properly.

Okay, here goes. How, precisely, do you swap in a cartridge in a Benelli semi? So, say I have rounds in the magazine, one in the chamber, and I want to quickly swap in a slug. I understand that if I rack the bolt, the round in the chamber will be ejected, but that no round will be fed from the magazine.

My question is, does the bolt lock back in this case, or do I have to hold it back while I put the slug in the chamber? If it doesn't lock back on its own, is there a way to make it lock back?

Anyway, I figure anyone who uses an M2 should be able to answer this pretty easily.. thanks

06-26-2011, 8:45 PM
(1)Acquire slug with support hand and then support shotgun (2)use primary hand and hold back bolt (3)Drop slug into chamber then allow bolt to slide home (4)Fire Slug

06-26-2011, 9:04 PM
I have a Benelli Montefeltro. I think the actions are very similar.

It allows for very very easy round swapping, since rounds stay in the magazine until a round is fired, meaning you can just yank the bolt, grap the ejecton round and throw in a new round. Just let the bolt slide forward.

It's a little more of a chore if you dropped a round back from the mag. Not impossible, but you have to practice it a little more.

06-26-2011, 9:38 PM
that was quick :D

So, I guess the answer to my question is, "you have to hold the bolt back while you drop in the new shell"

Will have to find a shop to see how this works left-handed.. Anyone have any recommendations for a good place to buy a shotgun in the Bay Area (near SF)?

06-27-2011, 9:53 AM
Works fine shooting L/H. I've been shooting a R/H M-1 Super 90 left handed for 15 years. I've had no issues. I don't feel the need to buy a L/H Shotgun.