PDA

View Full Version : Normal scratches on these bullets?? (pics)

hotfire
06-26-2011, 8:04 PM
Hello everyone!

I have yet to shoot my AR 15 but I decided to load a few rounds in the chamber and ensure all was working well. Don't worry it was pointed in a safe direction with no fingers in the trigger well.

I extracted the live round and inspected it and I noticed some scratch marks on the copper jacket. I proceeded to try another round and after extraction, the same marks were on the copper jacket. I took the upper apart and lubed up all the working parts including the feed ramps.

I tried a 3rd round and the same scratch marks were there. I have a Spike's tactical mid length upper with the standard BCG and charging handle and it has not been fired yet. Please advise if I am a paranoid freak and all this is normal. Many thanks for the responses!

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5154/5875289731_4ac11eb78b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/63515139@N08/5875289731/)
DSC_0669 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/63515139@N08/5875289731/) by Hotfire15 (http://www.flickr.com/people/63515139@N08/), on Flickr

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3126/5875848976_a162dcd32e.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/63515139@N08/5875848976/)
DSC_0666 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/63515139@N08/5875848976/) by Hotfire15 (http://www.flickr.com/people/63515139@N08/), on Flickr

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2140/5779746441_b394c5044a.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/63515139@N08/5779746441/)
DSC_0445.JPG (http://www.flickr.com/photos/63515139@N08/5779746441/) by Hotfire15 (http://www.flickr.com/people/63515139@N08/), on Flickr

Pthfndr
06-26-2011, 8:15 PM
That's normal if you chamber and extract a loaded round.

Most people chamber a round and shoot it :)

ETA: Don't lube the feed ramps. It will attract crud.

Freagan
06-26-2011, 8:15 PM
It's just the bullet meeting the rifling inside the barrel, no worries

Edit: You didn't drop those rounds on the carpet did you?!

Spearo
06-26-2011, 8:26 PM
Oh hell naw!

wrightb
06-26-2011, 8:41 PM
Those things look better than my rounds that have never seen the inside of a barrel

hotfire
06-26-2011, 8:41 PM

Thank you all for the comments. And Freagan, I dont think they touched the carpet. I extracted them on my bed and put them back in the box (PMC 55gr). What would the rounds hitting the carpet do?

Thanks Pthfndr's for the not lubing the feed ramp tip :)

Low-Pressure
06-26-2011, 8:54 PM

^^^+1^^^ Normal!

chad68
06-26-2011, 9:00 PM

Off topic but is your avatar suppose to be a referance to the Movie Red Dawn?

Wolverines!????
http://goremasternews.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/red-dawn-wolverines1.jpg?w=301&h=400

Vinrx7
06-26-2011, 9:11 PM
Dude, just shoot it!

r6raff
06-26-2011, 9:11 PM
What would the rounds hitting the carpet do?

Not sure if you are serious or not, but in case you are... He's just busting your nuts. There was a guy once who legitimately thought his rifle was broke when he dropped it on the carpet. You should see what these weapons and ammunition go through on a regular basis while in service, a scratched round is nothing. Most the ammunition I use doesn't look half as good and thats before its even been pulled out of the boxes.

Just for future reference, the wear marks on the inside of your receiver and on the BCG contact points is normal and scratched and marks on your case deflector is also normal. You should just throw your rifle in the dirt and jump on it once or twice to get rid of your fear of scratching it. lol. Seriously though, this **** is built to be beaten to hell, so don't fret over little things like this, or else your will go insane trying to do the impossible.

p.s. good looking AR, now stop posting and loading and ejecting live rounds nucklehead (ever hear of a slam fire?), go shoot the damn thing and let us know how well it does.

phamkl
06-26-2011, 9:21 PM
Just in case it needs to be said...

invest in some snap caps. And maybe mark them with whiteout so you know which is a snap cap and more importantly, which is NOT a snap cap.

r6raff
06-26-2011, 9:44 PM
Just in case it needs to be said...

invest in some snap caps. And maybe mark them with whiteout so you know which is a snap cap and more importantly, which is NOT a snap cap.

Magpul makes those black ones, I have some red ones so it would be hard to mix them up, but you should consistently check to make sure you don't accidentally mess up. Either way, every round is live, the unload weapon fires the loudest and comfort kills... those are a few of the rules I live by.

arsilva32
06-26-2011, 10:02 PM
Magpul makes those black ones, I have some red ones so it would be hard to mix them up, but you should consistently check to make sure you don't accidentally mess up. Either way, every round is live, the unload weapon fires the loudest and comfort kills... those are a few of the rules I live by.

^^^++1 good advice! ^

straykiller
06-26-2011, 10:24 PM
shoot them those scratches will go away

hotfire
06-26-2011, 10:29 PM
Thank you all for the heads up. I will be sure to get some lead down range asap. Now i need to find a great outdoor place to shoot near El Cajon/Santee in San Diego.

CK_32
06-26-2011, 10:49 PM
That's normal. Just when the bolt pushes the round into the chamber/grooves of the barrel. I wouldn't load your AR unless your planning on shooting. That's just bad practice asking for a unwanted "desk pop"

r6raff
06-26-2011, 10:56 PM
That's normal. Just when the bolt pushes the round into the chamber/grooves of the barrel. I wouldn't load your AR unless your planning on shooting. That's just bad practice asking for a unwanted "desk pop"

Or an apartment pop LOL, funny *** movie.

nagorb
06-26-2011, 11:02 PM
Not sure if you are serious or not, but in case you are... He's just busting your nuts. There was a guy once who legitimately thought his rifle was broke when he dropped it on the carpet. You should see what these weapons and ammunition go through on a regular basis while in service, a scratched round is nothing. Most the ammunition I use doesn't look half as good and thats before its even been pulled out of the boxes.

Just for future reference, the wear marks on the inside of your receiver and on the BCG contact points is normal and scratched and marks on your case deflector is also normal. You should just throw your rifle in the dirt and jump on it once or twice to get rid of your fear of scratching it. lol. Seriously though, this **** is built to be beaten to hell, so don't fret over little things like this, or else your will go insane trying to do the impossible.

p.s. good looking AR, now stop posting and loading and ejecting live rounds nucklehead (ever hear of a slam fire?), go shoot the damn thing and let us know how well it does.

Yep^

Rebellious
06-27-2011, 12:19 AM

I almost fell on the floor from laughing so hard after reading that. Classic:D

^ This, C-L-A-S-S-I-C

metalliman545
06-27-2011, 3:06 AM
I don't know how you guys do this. I open these threads thinking it'll actually be something crazy, like a treasure of information but then its this crap. Your bullets get scratched when going up through the feed ramps. Even I figured that out when I first started shooting. Some people need to learn to do basic trouble shooting and use process of elimination. Not only is it fun, its very educating, you learn new things through 'problems'. Learn your weapon.

This is almost as bad as the "my ar fell from the couch to the carpet, is it ok??!?? :(" Thread

PANTyRAiD
06-27-2011, 3:37 AM

Those marks are NOT from the rifling! Unless those are handloads loaded to touch the lands, those marks are from the m4 style feed ramps which can be very sharp, esp in a brand new rifle.

BTW does anyone have a link to the Carpet AR thread?!

xibunkrlilkidsx
06-27-2011, 6:46 AM
jesus. you have copper hitting against steel at high speeds. its going to leave a mark . its called friction, its a normal process...

GettoPhilosopher
06-27-2011, 7:44 AM
It's a little hard to use a rifle for defense if you never chamber any rounds outside a range. :P

r6raff
06-27-2011, 8:16 AM
It's a little hard to use a rifle for defense if you never chamber any rounds outside a range. :P

I personally don't leave my AR in condition 1, I leave it open magwell, bolt locked to the rear with a full mag right next to it. ( I have kids so I am a little cautious.) Also, there is a difference between chambering a round in self defense and chambering a round because your bored and just want to.

MaHoTex
06-27-2011, 8:27 AM
shoot them those scratches will go away

Off topic, but I couldn't resist...

I have to say that I really like the picture in your sig line.

CK_32
06-27-2011, 8:29 AM
Or an apartment pop LOL, funny *** movie.

It's funny because at work I talk to this fire department guy and we shoot the sh*t all the time and we were talking about hang guns and he got onto this story about how he was cleaning his gun and it went off in the kitchen and went into a cabinet and his wife doesn't allow cleaning of guns inside anymore........

I just looked at him and was like WTF you don't do a chamber safety check before you clean your guns from the range. And he said eh it happens... And I was like no it doesn't if you safety check..... :shock:

And he was really non chalant about it like it's a everyday thing... Surprised the he'll out of me.

mif_slim
06-27-2011, 9:51 AM

Oh com'on!! Everyone's done a desk pop before! Right everyone?!

These guys do it all the time!

wWZTTtE5_zQ

jk, DONT DO IT!!

On a serious note, like many said before, its the bullet vs ramp vs chamber vs rifling marks. Usually copper looses to steel.

RRichie09
06-27-2011, 9:53 AM
It's funny because at work I talk to this fire department guy and we shoot the sh*t all the time and we were talking about hang guns and he got onto this story about how he was cleaning his gun and it went off in the kitchen and went into a cabinet and his wife doesn't allow cleaning of guns inside anymore........

I just looked at him and was like WTF you don't do a chamber safety check before you clean your guns from the range. And he said eh it happens... And I was like no it doesn't if you safety check..... :shock:

And he was really non chalant about it like it's a everyday thing... Surprised the he'll out of me.

Probably just protecting his pride. I wouldn't go shooting with the guy though haha.

CK_32
06-27-2011, 9:54 AM
Oh com'on!! Everyone's done a desk pop before! Right everyone?!

These guys do it all the time!

wWZTTtE5_zQ

jk, DONT DO IT!!

:smilielol5:still SO funny!

CK_32
06-27-2011, 9:57 AM
Probably just protecting his pride. I wouldn't go shooting with the guy though haha.

Yea Im not planing on it because he spreads FUD and mis-info like a MF lol

Hes one of the guys i just sit and think wrong... wrong.. wrong wrong wrong... But just keep smiling and let him spread his gun "knowledge" lol

hotfire
06-27-2011, 11:27 AM
For the record, I was not loading the rounds because I was bored. Sure it was poor judgment but I am very careful anytime live ammo is in the same room with any gun. I will buy some snap caps soon to get some safe practice in.

This has turned to one funny a** thread with the whole carpet thing and deskpop comments.

762.DEFENSE
06-27-2011, 11:28 AM
Totally normal, the same goes for a Desk Pop.

cabinetguy
06-27-2011, 1:11 PM
normal, i do it all the times to throw of the csi units with the strange rifling in deadly evil rifle

straykiller
06-27-2011, 1:13 PM
Off topic, but I couldn't resist...

I have to say that I really like the picture in your sig line.

lol thanks