View Full Version : Please school me on the PTR-91

06-26-2011, 6:53 PM
I am thinking about picking up a PTR-91. Unfortunately I dont know that much about them (I am pretty much thinking about buying one due to I like the way it looks.) I was wondering if anyone had any expierence with them. I mostly shoot AR-15 and how does the PTR-91 compare.

Thanks for your time

06-26-2011, 7:01 PM
based on the Heckler and Koch G3 battle rifle aka HK91.
Part of the same generation of the FAL and M14 battle rifles.

Strong recoil, almost fun, esp compared to an AR15, on top of the fact that it shoots a full powered rifle round, it operates via blowback. Fairly simple action, pretty reliable too.

PTRs are made here using old HK factory machinery, so most HK or G3 parts will interface with a PTR with little to no modification.

Magazines are plenty and cheap
Ammo is plenty too, just not so cheap

Good company, good gun.

My older cousin had a Hk91 back in the day when I was just a JrPlink. Always wanted one. Almost bought one myself earlier this year, but bought a SCAR instead. PTR is still def on my short list though, Im just not sure if I want another .308 mouth to feed!

heres a wiki page on the G3 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_%26_Koch_G3

06-26-2011, 7:08 PM
hit or miss on them. i talked to people who got good one's right out of the box some who got bad one's like myself...not saying its a bad company or gun i guess i didnt get lucky " dam this sounds like a date gone bad " check out this sites lots of info here.

06-26-2011, 7:15 PM
I don't understand, just curious perhaps... but why would someone want to get a gun they don't know much about?

06-26-2011, 8:23 PM
I was literally about to pick up a PTR-91GI

After some reading, I decided against it.

-Ammo is expensive
-Scattered issues with front trunnion developing stress cracks
-Scattered bolt gap issues
-Not ergonomic
-Does not lock open after last round is fired
-Can be a bit difficult to work charging handle
-Known to be ammo picky (not so much with the GI model).
-Not light on recoil

Despite some of this stuff, it obviously has many pros.

-Simple design
-Cheap mags
-Full power cartridge
-Good irons
-Match grade barrel

06-26-2011, 8:26 PM
From what I've heard recently, they've isolated the trunnion issue and everyone who had a problem (including myself) is having their rifles repaired for free. The first one that went in just came back to its owner and the report is it's like-new and no trunnion problems after 800 rounds.

That said, obviously there are going to be rifles out there on shelves that still may have trunnion problems. I really like the PTR PDW I have, except for the trunnion problem obviously, but I'm not sure if I could really recommend going out and buying a PTR right now.

06-26-2011, 9:27 PM
I don't understand, just curious perhaps... but why would someone want to get a gun they don't know much about?

he said based on looks, and Im with him! Its a good looking rifle! :cool:

06-26-2011, 9:34 PM
Learning about a gun is half the fun! Other people don't take their new guns apart before they shoot them?

06-26-2011, 9:47 PM
Learning about a gun is half the fun! Other people don't take their new guns apart before they shoot them?

first thing I do!

Reading manuals and all that comes after some serious fondling..

But I def do a lot of homework before I buy.

I usually obsess about something for a month or so before I buy it.
Even if I have disposable income, you'll never get an impulse sale out of me for
serious purchase, esp a firearm.

06-27-2011, 12:09 AM
I've had my PTR91 carbine for about 4 years now, with about 3k rounds through it, never had any problems. I did have a MSG90 buffer installed for a while, which made it very comfortable to shoot, I later swapped the MSG buffer back onto my HK911 and put a meatgrinder on the PTR, which is a little tough on the shoulder now, but still fun to shoot nonetheless. It will eat up just about any ammo I throw at it, but seems to perform best with Radway Green and South African. The only malfunctions I have had were with 35 year old Indian surplus.

Never had any trunnion issues, which seems to be a problem with some of the newer GI models with US made trunnions. The good news is that PTR is standing by their product and fixing them: http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-clone-talk/140364-ptr-91-gi-quality-thread-2-check-your-trunions.html

I dont know if I would by one of the newer PTR's, I think maybe I would try to find an older JLD Enterprises model with HK parts or save up some scratch for a real offlist HK such as a HK41, 911 or SR9.

06-27-2011, 12:13 AM
I have one that was perfect ( 3 times out no problems always cleaned after shooting) till last weekend. It seems to have a cycling problem. I also brought 2 M1As, a FAL, an AR10 all 308's only the HK had issues............just sayin.

It was pretty dirty out there tho

06-27-2011, 12:57 AM
Also: the fore-end that comes on the PTR PDW doesn't have threads on the under-side rail mount mount points.

06-27-2011, 11:59 AM
I think it is a great rifle. Only ones better are the HK branded ones and the Springfield SAR-8(Stamped NOT cast receiver). The quality issues supposidly have been fixed and other than the charging handle being a bit tough, I have no other complaints and even that isn't an issue really. The rifle fits me very well and the only other 308 platform that I would say is better ergonomically is the FAL. Bolt hold option on the g3 series would have been a nice option though. Overall I am impressed with it. The fit and finish on the firearm is very well done. Tons of parts for the G3 series out there so you aren't buying into an obsolete platform. The action is simple and easy to work on. I would say go for it.