PDA

View Full Version : Dang them Tikka's can shoot!! LOL

diego-ted
06-26-2011, 7:52 PM
I have been trying to develope a recipe for my rifle for about a month now, I think I am in the ball park. I want to first say thanks to those who have helped me out and answered my questions. I have finally hit the sweet spot and can now dial her in. I must admit I was skeptical about Newberry's node theory but have now seen it work for myself. The target on the right is the scatter node and is between 43 grains and 44.5 grains. I tossed the
( ) from the lands method out the window, these groups are 2.112 OAL measured from the OGIVE. I will brake down the powder charge to .1 differences and see it I can tighten this grouping down any further, if not I am still pretty darn happy. On the bottom photo, if not for the flyer that group would have been 1/4". These were all five shot groups @ 100 yards.

Thx agian

Diego

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/diego-ted/one.jpg

frankm
06-26-2011, 8:49 PM
Very nice!

RugerNo1
06-26-2011, 9:22 PM
Isn't real load developement and reloading fun?

Actually, I find it tiresome, but the results speak for themselves and becomes worth all that time.

Good stuff. If you want to play around more go for it! Or just accept that load and make a lot of it and just enjoy shooting while focusing on yourself.

Jonathan Doe
06-26-2011, 9:44 PM
Isn't real load developement and reloading fun?

Actually, I find it tiresome, but the results speak for themselves and becomes worth all that time.

Good stuff. If you want to play around more go for it! Or just accept that load and make a lot of it and just enjoy shooting while focusing on yourself.

It is a good thing. I have experimented about 1 1/2 years, every Saturday at the range shooting with my reloads (308 Win) to find the best one for my match rifle. Now I have a good recipe that will work pretty well in most rifles that I have.:)

send it_hit
06-26-2011, 9:56 PM
That's awesome. I'll be honest, I don't know what half of what you said means. I'm reloading-illiterate. However, I did just get a Tikka and am excited to see what it can do with factory ammo.

Anyway, very nice groups!!!

RugerNo1
06-26-2011, 10:04 PM
That's awesome. I'll be honest, I don't know what half of what you said means. I'm reloading-illiterate. However, I did just get a Tikka and am excited to see what it can do with factory ammo.

Anyway, very nice groups!!!

For your reading and learning pleasure:
http://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/long-range-load-development/
and
http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/

straykiller
06-26-2011, 11:26 PM
awesome shooting

diego-ted
06-27-2011, 12:15 PM
Thx guys I am really stoked to have this worked out. Now I can concentrate of shooting at greater distances.

Ted

762.DEFENSE
06-27-2011, 12:49 PM
Nice :thumbsup:

rumblebee
06-27-2011, 3:47 PM
Tikka's rock...I shot a 10 shot group yesterday that literally put a huge smile on my face....75gr Black Hills (blue box) = joy (until I can load myself) :cool:

I'll upload and post a pic later

Iggy
06-27-2011, 4:50 PM
Did you get a chance to crono? Are you using Varget?

The reason I ask is because I have found that between 43-45 grains in 308 there is very little change in small amounts of powder. You need almost 1 grain to see 50 fps on the high end. So breaking down the loads to .1 might be tedious and not yield much. Just my 2 cents.

Good shooting though!!

diego-ted
06-27-2011, 5:00 PM
Did you get a chance to crono? Are you using Varget?

The reason I ask is because I have found that between 43-45 grains in 308 there is very little change in small amounts of powder. You need almost 1 grain to see 50 fps on the high end. So breaking down the loads to .1 might be tedious and not yield much. Just my 2 cents.

Good shooting though!!

I did not, just all off the scale. I got lucky and hit a note and broke it down from there. Now I have two loads that are under.300 so I was going to work them by .3grains and then the best of that group by .1. Since we are only talking about 20 rounds or so, I figured I might as well see what shakes. Yes I switched to Varget from H335 and IMR 4064, what a diffrence, day and night!!

Diego

Iggy
06-27-2011, 5:01 PM
Absolutely, Varget is my favorite powder and I have always had good results in 308. Give it is a go let me know how it works out!