PDA

View Full Version : Range report- new (to me) M1A scout. With pics, How'd I do?

Lone_Gunman
06-26-2011, 4:04 PM
Went out to Sac Valley today to enjoy some free BBQ and sight in my new M1A. Wind was minimal at the beginning of the day, picking up to maybe 2-3 MPH out of the NW by the end of the day. Perfect day for shooting. I was shooting PRVI Partisan 145 gr. .308 Lot # 1001-01. I fired 170 rounds without any kind of hiccup out of the rifle. No FTF, FTE, ETC. The thing ran like a top.

100 yard zero with the 145 gr. PRVI was 10 clicks up from bottomed out.

This is my last and best target of the day. I had to use the orange stickies to make the aiming point a little larger, I was having a hard time getting any accuracy with the small orange dot. Iron sights 100 yards. How'd I do?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=104004&stc=1&d=1309132933

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=104005&stc=1&d=1309132933

Now I need to do an appleseed shoot to learn how to take this thing out to 500 yards with irons.

gotshotgun?
06-26-2011, 4:49 PM
Good shooting! You will get better with practice. Consider sending off the trigger group to a smith for a trigger job. It makes a great difference and isn't too costly. Glad to see you putting a substantial number of rounds downrange with it too!

RugerNo1
06-26-2011, 5:51 PM
Not bad for PRVI ammo. Try some higher quality (read: Match/best you can get) ammo and shoot some more.

What position? Standing, benchrest, etc.?

Knife Edge
06-26-2011, 5:51 PM
You did awesome. I was surprised when my Socom II busted out a 1" group at 100y with DAG 147. I still don't believe it so I will verify again that it wasn't a fluke. Great guns, never a problem and I find the stock trigger very smooth.

Lone_Gunman
06-26-2011, 5:57 PM
Good shooting! You will get better with practice. Consider sending off the trigger group to a smith for a trigger job. It makes a great difference and isn't too costly. Glad to see you putting a substantial number of rounds downrange with it too!

Yeah, the trigger left a little to be desired, I kept wondering when it was going to break. I miscounted my ammo too. I shot 170 rounds, not 230, but that was still enough that my shoulder is sore.

Lone_Gunman
06-26-2011, 6:00 PM
Not bad for PRVI ammo. Try some higher quality (read: Match/best you can get) ammo and shoot some more.

What position? Standing, benchrest, etc.?

Benchrest shooting. I'm entirely self taught, and have never shot prone, or sitting, and my accuracy is not so great standing. That's why I want to do an Appleseed, so I can learn how to shoot field positions and learn to properly use a sling. :)

Lone_Gunman
06-26-2011, 6:07 PM
You did awesome. I was surprised when my Socom II busted out a 1" group at 100y with DAG 147. I still don't believe it so I will verify again that it wasn't a fluke. Great guns, never a problem and I find the stock trigger very smooth.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of the M14 type rifle. I think I will get used to the trigger the more I shoot it. My goal is to become an Appleseed patched rifleman and shoot man sized targets out to 500 yards.

ZX-10R
06-26-2011, 7:52 PM
Nice.

Knife Edge
06-26-2011, 7:57 PM
Yeah, I'm a big fan of the M14 type rifle. I think I will get used to the trigger the more I shoot it. My goal is to become an Appleseed patched rifleman and shoot man sized targets out to 500 yards.

Awesome. Enjoy her, she's one of my favorites.

RugerNo1
06-26-2011, 8:14 PM
Benchrest shooting. I'm entirely self taught, and have never shot prone, or sitting, and my accuracy is not so great standing. That's why I want to do an Appleseed, so I can learn how to shoot field positions and learn to properly use a sling. :)

Aww come on! That rifle is meant to be shot off the bench. The Appleseed will help very much. If you do not have a sling, get something like a reproduction web sling (http://www.creedmoorsports.com/store/product.php?productid=889899&cat=574&page=1) and learn to use it. You may be suprised by how steady you can be without a bipod or bags.

West coast
06-26-2011, 8:31 PM
Nice shooting. Better ammo and practice will give you better shooting

Jonathan Doe
06-26-2011, 8:39 PM
That is not bad. At least the group is centered. Need to learn to be able to shoot from prone with sling like this (You will get there) :):

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq263/5topgun/Targets/DSC_0001Large-1.jpg
M-1A match rifle with reloaded 168 grain Sierra HPBT bullets at 100 yards 10 shot groups with iron sights.

Lone_Gunman
06-26-2011, 9:10 PM
That's some good shooting topgun! Eventually I will get there. I haven't fired a 30 caliber rifle in about 11 years, and back then it was only on a couple range sessions. I do love the sights on the M1A, that's for sure. I'm going to try to wring every bit of accuracy I can out of this plain old 18" barrel. I just need practice and money for ammo. Time to learn to reload.