PDA

View Full Version : sight picture question

NYY
06-26-2011, 4:20 PM
So i went shooting today with my AR using iron sights only. At 50 yards i had the front post directly under the outer black circle and it was bullseye no problem. BUT, when i went to 100 yards, about 10 shots later that didnt hit the paper.. i realized that i had to actually LOWER the sight picture to the outer white line (much farther down than at 50 yards).. why is that?? shouldnt the sight picture have been higher?

CK_32
06-26-2011, 4:50 PM
Did you move your aim down or did you move your sight post down? 2 totally differant things.

Also depends on your ammo.

NYY
06-26-2011, 5:02 PM
i moved my aim down. sorry

CK_32
06-26-2011, 5:13 PM
either your sites moved or this..

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p14/sportin3s/fghfgh.png

Thats the only thing I can think would explain it.

G-forceJunkie
06-26-2011, 11:43 PM
You don't have a 50 yard zero on your rifle. You have somewhere around a 250 yard zero on your rifle. The bullet crosses your sight line at two places, the second one is typically called the "zero." It also just happens to cross the sight line at around 50 yards. With this zero you have, the impacts will be low from0 to 50 yards. High from 50 to about 250, and then low from 250 out. Did you look at those graphs I linked to in your other post about your AR hitting low at close ranges?

NYY
06-27-2011, 1:47 AM
You don't have a 50 yard zero on your rifle. You have somewhere around a 250 yard zero on your rifle. The bullet crosses your sight line at two places, the second one is typically called the "zero." It also just happens to cross the sight line at around 50 yards. With this zero you have, the impacts will be low from0 to 50 yards. High from 50 to about 250, and then low from 250 out. Did you look at those graphs I linked to in your other post about your AR hitting low at close ranges?

ahh i see. Yeah i rested the front sight directly below the black (which is a little below the bullseye) and hit bullseye. for it to be "zero" i would have to put the front post directly on the bullseye. And yea i did, but i guess i didnt understand it enough unless i wouldnt have posted this thread hah. Well, now i get it. Thankyou. I should probably learn to "zero" better...

jshoebot
06-27-2011, 3:23 AM
for it to be "zero" i would have to put the front post directly on the bullseye.

Yes, if you're going for a center-of-target hold (COT) zero. 6 o'clock hold is what you were doing, which is also correct for zeroing. It's all on what the shooter likes. I prefer a 6 o'clock hold, and zero all my rifles that way. It makes the bullseye easier to see at longer distances when using iron sights.

Don29palms
06-27-2011, 6:33 AM
If you zero at 50yds your gun will shoot high aot 100yds. www.handloads.com has a ballistics calculator you can use to show the ballistic curve. Remember line of sight is straight and bullets fly in a curve. I believe the top of the curve for 223 is close to 100yds but I'm not positive.

mskochinski
06-27-2011, 9:28 AM
It's all about the bullet drop. Might need to change your zero to a bit futher out to help level the flight path for you.