PDA

View Full Version : what price is reasonable for a Wingmaster?

taloft
12-26-2006, 4:31 PM
What is a reasonable price to pay for a new from the factory 870 Wingmaster? Just the 28" barrel, standard furniture, and nothing special model.

mike100
12-26-2006, 6:26 PM
I recall seeing one for more than $600 on the rack at turner's. It didn't last very long. Remington made like 8 million 870's. I personally have scored two 870 wingmaster police models unfired (25 years old) for $290 each. I'd say a deluxe sporting model would be from $250 to $350 ($350 for like new or new).

ON EDIT: bud's gun shop prices are somewhat indicative of distributor pricing, CA price would be more than $600, but not more than $650.
Clicky (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/37_64/products_id/96927)

CalNRA
12-26-2006, 7:16 PM
and you wonder why the express is so popular with shooters.

Altahick
12-26-2006, 8:12 PM
i seen the wingmaster at sportsmans warehouse for $5 something i know it was under 600.

taloft
12-26-2006, 8:28 PM
Man, you hit the nail right on the head! I saw one at turners today for $617.00. I would be amazed if it is still there come this weekend. Every time I call someone else, it is between $595.00 and $620.00. I just wanted to make sure I didn't have turnip leaves hanging out the back of my jeans. The price at buds is good but, after shipping and transfer fees it is a push. I might just wait until someone has a sale and then swoop.

CalNRA, I here what you're saying but, all the Express Models around my neighborhood are matte black finish with synthetic stocks. I want Lumber and Bluing. That and the Rem chokes. Although, I could get two Express Models for the price of one Wingmaster....

......Thanks for screwing me up further!:p ;)

Seriously, I just love the way they feel. Something inside just says, "YES!" every time I pick it up. Although, price wise the Express is hard to beat. Well, I've got until this weekend to make up my mind. Thanks for the input guys. Any other input is welcome, especially from people who own an 870.

Davidoff
12-26-2006, 8:48 PM
I got an express with only 25rds through it for $200 from a friend not to long ago. It's the Matte/Synthetic 18" model, but a new barrel brings me up to around the cost of a new express. I really can't justify spending twice the money for a finish and some sticks.

metalhead357
12-26-2006, 8:49 PM
Seriously, I just love the way they feel. Something inside just says, "YES!" every time I pick it up. Although, price wise the Express is hard to beat. Well, I've got until this weekend to make up my mind. Thanks for the input guys. Any other input is welcome, especially from people who own an 870.

I've got 'em both and LOVE my Express; can beat the snot out of it and it comesback for more. ((And)) my Wingmaster is a lot older- non removable choke so its kinda limited.

If it were my cash and I wasn't hell-bent on a wingmaster I'd do the express in a heartbeat.

taloft
12-26-2006, 9:06 PM
I've got 'em both and LOVE my Express; can beat the snot out of it and it comesback for more. ((And)) my Wingmaster is a lot older- non removable choke so its kinda limited.

If it were my cash and I wasn't hell-bent on a wingmaster I'd do the express in a heartbeat.

This is exactly what I needed, someone with both to do a side by side.

That's partly why I want it new, for the changeable chokes. If I wanted a fixed modified choke wingmaster, I could pick one up for $350.00 tomorrow. Do you find that the balance/recoil is different on the wingmaster compared to the express when using the same load? I would tend to think that the weight of wood would be a bit more than the synthetic stock. This would move the balance point back a bit and soften the recoil, or am I barking up a tree here? I suppose I could fill the synthetic stock with expanding foam. Synthetic would certainly hold up better in the field over time.

ivanimal
12-26-2006, 9:14 PM
Alll you have to do is rack the wingmaster once and you will be sold. The expresses are tanks but the WM's are smooooooooothhh.:cool:

metalhead357
12-26-2006, 9:19 PM
Do you find that the balance/recoil is different on the wingmaster compared to the express when using the same load? I would tend to think that the weight of wood would be a bit more than the synthetic stock. This would move the balance point back a bit and soften the recoil, or am I barking up a tree here? I suppose I could fill the synthetic stock with expanding foam. Synthetic would certainly hold up better in the field over time.

Ah see~ this is precisely why I cringe when I answer threads like this- HARD questions follow:p And unfortunately those are very difficult to answer as I relegated myself to the Express for hunting more than 10+ years ago and the Wingmaster is now only brought out for newbies to shoot on occasion.

I can honestly tell you this- I DO think the wingmaster 'handled' the load better...it always seemed a heavier gun and (therefore...seemingly) recoil was not as bad. I was after the light gun for the afieled days & the rough & ready finish. Do enough clay shooting to toughen that shoulder and you will soon never know the difference. Both mine are 2&3/4 inch only so I dunno if that makes any difference to you as I know there's ones out now that can handle the bigger loads but I've found the 'standard' shell to work well with everything I've hunted (arguably I gave up Duck & goose about 10 years ago...to pricy for my tastes & dont like duck all THAT much...).

At about half the cost of a wingmaster- the express would be my choice & find a decent load between kick and functionality that works for you. If money's not THAT big a deal then by all means get the wingmaster; BOTH are excellent guns. I just always look to my express when I think of hunting...and I own a variety of shotguns (OU, auto, pump in a couple manufactures) and yet I still always go back to my express.....

CalNRA
12-26-2006, 10:33 PM
CalNRA, I here what you're saying but, all the Express Models around my neighborhood are matte black finish with synthetic stocks. I want Lumber and Bluing. That and the Rem chokes. Although, I could get two Express Models for the price of one Wingmaster....

......Thanks for screwing me up further!:p ;)

don't tell me you ain't got a big 5 around where you live. :p They always seem to have a few express around with wood stock and a 28 inch barrel with a removable modified choke.

I would like a Wingmaster though, when I have 700 bucks to spend on a shotgun(600+DROS+tax gets to 700 real easy.)

modenar1
12-28-2006, 4:36 PM
if i were you, i would look into older remington wingmasters. they are of much better quality than the new ones. i have a 1980 wingmaster, and when i compare it with the new ones, you can see a difference in fit and finish

taloft
12-28-2006, 7:46 PM
Well, fate stepped in this morning and said no wingmaster(for now!). The brakes on my truck crapped out on the way into work. I took her in for repairs and this made it necessary to dip into my mad money. Since I had some free time until the truck was fixed, I decided to go gun shopping.:D

CalNRA: Funny you should mention that, the Big 5 in my area has never had an express with wood when I've gone there, today was no exception. Always black synthetic stocks when I go in. When I ask them if they can order it they say no, they only carry what they carry.:confused: So I decided to go to the Big5 in El Cajon. This store has a much larger rack to pick through. They didn't have the one I wanted in stock so they called up another store and had them send one over. What a difference in attitude.

metalhead357: Nothing wrong with that answer, it helped me make up my mind. That and finding out that the finish is parkerized didn't hurt.

To cut it short, I dropped coin on the 870 Express today. $316.19 out the door for those who care. I still need to purchase a couple more choke tubes. I'll post details with pics in ten days, provided I don't go insane from the waiting.

modenar1, I couldn't agree more. The only problem with the older shotguns is that they tend to have fixed chokes. I haven't given up on getting a wingmaster yet. considering my recent purchase, most likely I will get a used one with a fixed modified choke. Like ivanimal said, "smooooooooothhh.:cool: "

Thanks for all the help.

mike100
12-28-2006, 8:22 PM
so you just purchased that 870 in time before the factory $30 rebate expires from Remington.