PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal? I feel guilty!

mrvash
06-26-2011, 5:34 AM
I just purchased a used Mossberg 500 12ga, it's a used, older model, 28" barrel, wooden furniture, scratched bluing, 1" tube(?) etc. I already have plans on getting a 18.5" barrel, black stock and forearm. Problem is, I don't even have it yet and I feel more love for it than my AR. Pointless thread, I know, but just thought I'd ask how many of you prefer your shotty than your AR?

plumbum
06-26-2011, 7:40 AM
AR's have no soul. Always something unnatural and mechanical to them.
Shotguns are beautiful creatures, especially with wooden furniture.

The older guns just have more character to them; dents and scratches tell their own story.

cmogi10
06-26-2011, 9:05 AM
Don't own an AR, but I prefer my Citori over EVERYTHING.

Marlin Hunter
06-26-2011, 10:33 AM
A box of 25 shot-shells costs between $5 and $6. A box of 20 .223 costs between $10 and $12.

To get the full benefit of an AR, you need a longer distance shooting range. It is a waste to shoot/plink at close range with a 223: a 22LR would work better/cheaper.

Water jugs explode when hit with a 12ga slug: They leak when hit with a 223.

You can throw things in the air and hit them with a shotgun. You can't/shouldn't shoot a 223 in the air.

bsg
06-26-2011, 11:07 AM

The older guns just have more character to them; dents and scratches tell their own story.

nice sentiment.

my old (1965) Remington 870 Wingmaster "Brushmaster" model is the one my eyes move to when i open the safe. it's not one of my most valuable guns; it is one of the last ones i'd part with.

aippi
06-26-2011, 11:34 AM
Don't own an AR. Seems you assumed everyone would. I have no use for such a weapon. There is an M1A within reach if I need a rifle.

santamonica9
06-26-2011, 12:40 PM
A box of 25 shot-shells costs between $5 and $6. A box of 20 .223 costs between $10 and $12.

To get the full benefit of an AR, you need a longer distance shooting range. It is a waste to shoot/plink at close range with a 223: a 22LR would work better/cheaper.

You can throw things in the air and hit them with a shotgun. You can't/shouldn't shoot a 223 in the air.

WELL SAID - i love shooting clay birds with my shotguns :D what moving targets have you shot your rifle @?

Beetle Bailey
06-26-2011, 2:55 PM
WELL SAID - i love shooting clay birds with my shotguns :D what moving targets have you shot your rifle @?

While I totally agree that breaking clays is fun, I recommend you get a hunting license. Although I prefer bolt-action rifles, I did varmint hunt once with an AR. Heck I even hunted with my 870 Police a couple times.

As for which one I love more, 870 or AR, I love all my guns the same :D

cannon
06-26-2011, 2:56 PM
It's normal.

oldguy870
06-26-2011, 3:37 PM
I just got home from busting jackrabbits with my AR15 with anTA11 ACOG. I walked 5 miles and got about 15. This is about as much fun as you can have with a gun. I Love my ARs.

That being said, I love my 870s even more. Many early mornings in a duck blind makes for good memories.

PANTyRAiD
06-26-2011, 3:39 PM
Don't own an AR. Seems you assumed everyone would. I have no use for such a weapon. There is an M1A within reach if I need a rifle.

He did not assume everyone owned an AR, his question was directed towards those that do...

However, you incorrectly assumed that he assumed though! :p

aippi
06-26-2011, 7:20 PM
Well Pantyraid, when a guy brings up "Shotty" he get a curt answer around here. I am 58 not 4 and don't have a Shotty or a dinky or blanky either.

PANTyRAiD
06-26-2011, 7:48 PM
I see where you are coming from...kind of...

Id say its not as big of an offence as say, calling a magazine a clip...But hey, with your sig line perhaps you feel the opposite way.

Speaking on your sig line, Id say that it can be deadly to think so rigidly...I mean sure, if Im going to kick someones door in and clear their house, then great, hand me my Saiga 12 and call it Disco.

However, If im going to be in a heated urban street battle, then I will take my AR no questions asked, no regrets posted...

Why such a strong favoritism towards scatter guns, may I ask?

1998 m4a1
06-27-2011, 2:37 AM

sure, it tells you that the owner is clumbsy and doesn't know how to handle a firearm!

older guns are just that, old. thats it!

mrvash
06-27-2011, 3:34 AM
By the way, in the state of California, what is the minimum legal length of a pump shotgun barrel? Also, what is the minimum overall legal length of the shotgun?

PANTyRAiD
06-27-2011, 3:44 AM
Google is your friend...

Its 18 for the barrel, and Im pretty sure its 26 OAL...

tonelar
06-27-2011, 4:44 AM
...Water jugs explode when hit with a 12ga slug: They leak when hit with a 223.

just sayin' even fmj .223 has violently exploded water jugs from my AUG (velocity=ferocity)

But I agree with the spirit of this post... There isn't an AR made that can compete with the grin factor of shooting my Benelli M1 or Spas12.

mrvash
06-27-2011, 6:37 AM
One more question! On the price tag of my Mossberg it reads, "Mossberg 500, 12ga 1" " What exactly does that measurement mean?

Vandal.
06-27-2011, 7:22 AM

i did that with my Glock... ;)

Marlin Hunter
06-27-2011, 7:31 AM
One more question! On the price tag of my Mossberg it reads, "Mossberg 500, 12ga 1" " What exactly does that measurement mean?

The 1" doesn't mean anything. If the tag was hand written, it should be 3" for a 3" chamber.

sargenv
06-27-2011, 7:33 AM
"Mossberg 500, 12ga 1"

Look again, that 1" is likely a 3" meaning chamber capacity. IOW you can safely shoot 3" or shorter shells in that chamber.. you cannot however shoot 3 1/2" shells safely.

mrvash
06-27-2011, 7:46 AM
Yeah it was hand written, most likely a misprint, I will have to ask when I go and pick it up. Standard length of shotgun shells are usually 3"?

plumbum
06-27-2011, 8:06 AM
Yeah it was hand written, most likely a misprint, I will have to ask when I go and pick it up. Standard length of shotgun shells are usually 3"?

Well, most will say that the 2 3/4" shells are the standard, or at least the more common. I personally think 3" shells should be reserved for deer, ducks or geese (but if 3" 000 buck for playtime floats your boat then have at it!).

Riodog
06-27-2011, 10:20 AM
Well Pantyraid, when a guy brings up "Shotty" he get a curt answer around here. I am 58 not 4 and don't have a Shotty or a dinky or blanky either.

Thank you aippi.

SHOTTY is a term usually used by FNG's trying to be cute, or trying to impress others with knowlege or exerience that they don't possess. It is a term that anyone that has ANY respect for a shotgun would never use.
Totally disgusting.
Rio

sniper4usmc
06-27-2011, 10:44 AM

$10-12? for box of .223:eek:
Where do u buy ur ammo??
you can buy PMC,Federal .223 for $5.50-6.50 from Cabelas or palmetto

tonelar
06-27-2011, 12:50 PM
As per the terms; "shotty" or "guages" if the poster gets their point across, neither bother me. Then again; I'm not bothered by "clip" vs "magazine" either.

Marlin Hunter
06-27-2011, 12:53 PM
Where do u buy ur ammo??

I have not purchased 223 in over 20 years. I bought several battle packs back when they were about 7 cents per round. I just did a quick search for 223 price, and that is what I found. I was looking for local single boxes, and not case price.

giants_fan24
06-27-2011, 12:59 PM
I love AR's but it sure it a ton of fun shooting at clays

CaliforniaSon
06-27-2011, 12:59 PM
I have 2 shotguns (20ga Moss cruiser 500 and a single shot 16ga Stevnson) and am picking up a Remington 1100 semi-auto 12ga from a buddy of mine and you know what...I love them -all- more than any AR I've ever handled (with the exception of an old Armalite AR-10 ;) )

so no, don't feel guilty. It's a beautiful shotgun. If it were like a chi-com knockoff or a .25auto? then yea...you'd have to hang your head in shame. lol

tacticalcity
06-27-2011, 1:22 PM
Could be that it's the shinny new toy (new to you) and thus the focus of all your attention and affection for the moment.

Could be that you're a shotgun guy more than an AR guy.

I am an AR guy, much more than I am a shotgun guy, but when I get a new toy/project I am all about it until I find a new toy/project to focus all my attention and affection on.

:31: Oh, and my ARs have plenty of soul. It's just that their souls are dark as the night. :31:

mrvash
06-27-2011, 2:23 PM
Thank you aippi.

SHOTTY is a term usually used by FNG's trying to be cute, or trying to impress others with knowlege or exerience that they don't possess. It is a term that anyone that has ANY respect for a shotgun would never use.
Totally disgusting.
Rio

Wow, I had no idea that some people were so sensitive! If some of you have felt personally offended because I have used the term 'Shotty' I am sorry you feel that way, however; I do appreciate the advice and/or information you have inputted in this thread in regards to my questions.

PEBKAC
06-27-2011, 3:10 PM

This.

Many more ways to have fun with your shotgun than your AR.

I'd say it's normal to start feeling an affinity for it. ;)

plumbum
06-27-2011, 6:23 PM

I have had more fun with scatterguns (especially the lowly .410) than with any centerfire rifle. Besides, my vision isn't so good; shoot 300 yards with your .223, I'll have to take your word that you hit something!

knucklehead0202
06-28-2011, 11:53 AM
an AR won't shoot near the variety of ammunition types that a shotgun will. nevermind the fact that a good shotgun ALWAYS WORKS! urban street battle? shotgun with buck and slugs much better than a fast .22 IMO.

hcbr
06-28-2011, 4:06 PM
my shotguns have a bit more of a slight edge over my AR since i own about 4, but don't worry my AR's going to have a batch to keep it company lol :D

To answer your q, no it's not bad, love all of em equally lol

coyotebait
06-28-2011, 4:56 PM
Wow, I had no idea that some people were so sensitive! If some of you have felt personally offended because I have used the term 'Shotty' I am sorry you feel that way, however; I do appreciate the advice and/or information you have inputted in this thread in regards to my questions.

....and to top it off, you apologize??? Now I'M OFFENDED!!!:eek:

motorwerks
06-28-2011, 5:46 PM

The thing is I can make them leak from 400 to 600 yards with .223 or 1000 with my AR in .308 with a shotgun its more like 50 yards, possibly 100 with slugs and some serious time behind said shotgun. ;)

Oddly enough some of us have both. :D

motorwerks
06-28-2011, 5:49 PM
an AR won't shoot near the variety of ammunition types that a shotgun will. nevermind the fact that a good shotgun ALWAYS WORKS! urban street battle? shotgun with buck and slugs much better than a fast .22 IMO.

HAHAHA because we're all involved in street fights

motorwerks
06-28-2011, 5:51 PM
This.

I'd say it's normal to start feeling an affinity for it. ;)

I disagree, but then again I own one shotgun that does double duty between 2 barrels and 5 AR's in various forms so I'm a little biased much like some of you guys, that swing the other way. :D

motorwerks
06-28-2011, 5:52 PM
Where do u buy ur ammo??

For sure I was just going to say he was doing it wrong.

repubconserv
06-28-2011, 6:04 PM

Thank you aippi.

Totally disgusting.
I could also say that "FNG" is used by fat COD4 addicts who play the training mission too often because they cant pass any other level... but I don't because I don't want to sound like a know it all jerk :)
Rio

Oh get off your high horse already both of you. I don't care if he calls his shotguns "queenies" or his glocks "gats." It's not like he is doing anything illegal, or immoral, unethical, dangerous, FUDdish or even a-holish. he came on here to talk about his guns, and have a good time. quit thread dumping.

Don't listen to them, they are old prudes (or young arrogant jerks) who "know everything" and dump all over you for "not knowing everything when you think you do"

I love my mossy 500 shottys, especially with the high base loads (not too much though if you don't have some sort of recoil management.)

runway1
06-28-2011, 6:56 PM

:D:p:):D

twotap
06-28-2011, 10:04 PM
I am in FULL agreement with "appi" of course I just happen to be the same age also.
That being said I also do not own an AR ,but own many shotguns, many. And I feel they are alot like herion once you start it is real hard to stop owning more and more.To me they are the most practical of all weapons. Where I live I would not want to trust my seatmeat to a small gauge rifle round that would just piss off a bear or mountian cat not to mention a dazed cooker. Slugs and buck just makes sense to me. My side arm is 45 but that is just to get me to my shotgun.

mrvash
06-28-2011, 10:55 PM
once you start it is real hard to stop owning more and more.

Hm, I haven't even gotten my Mossberg out of it's 10-day jail period and I'm already looking at double, side-by-side, shotguns.

Don't listen to them, they are old prudes (or young arrogant jerks) who "know everything" and dump all over you for "not knowing everything when you think you do"

Thank you for the reassurance, I don't take most things personal, especially anything online.

....and to top it off, you apologize??? Now I'M OFFENDED!!!:eek:

I did not apologize for me using the "newbie" terminology, Although I did apologize for their sensitivity on the term.

Could be that it's the shinny new toy (new to you) and thus the focus of all your attention and affection for the moment.

Could be that you're a shotgun guy more than an AR guy.

Well, I seriously thought I'd love my AR more than any firearm that I would ever own! But now that I have a shotgun in 10-day jail, I'm actually having dreams about it (lol!) and really can't wait to get it and shoot it! I'm somewhat of a perfectionist and I did not mind that is heavily used and abused! then again, it was $199 out the door for it, including DROS.

repubconserv
06-29-2011, 8:58 AM
Hm, I haven't even gotten my Mossberg out of it's 10-day jail period and I'm already looking at double, side-by-side, shotguns.

Oh no. you are getting the sickness bad :p

Once I get a better job I am so getting an O/U... after many other guns... but dang O/Us just look so awesome...

Volksgrenadier
06-29-2011, 3:19 PM
AR's have no soul. Always something unnatural and mechanical to them.

That statement, sir, is hand forged from win.

CaliforniaSon
06-30-2011, 8:38 AM
You know, I'm picking up my Moss 500 cruiser 20ga shotfun (yes, I said shotFUN!) after work today and I'm about as excited as you. It's my first usable (non-early 1900's) shotgun and I look forward to have a blast (pun intended) with it!

mrvash
06-30-2011, 12:25 PM
I've already ordered Tac Star grip foreend, factory Mossberg Mariner pistol grip and heat shield. All I need now is a Tac Star side saddle.

Bedpan Bandit
07-01-2011, 10:26 AM
Perferctly normal. Actually, as soon as the shotgun bug bit me and gave me "claybrain" I started selling off my other guns including my ARs to buy more shotgun stuff. Can't stop. Love my shotguns. So much more exciting to bust clays than ambushing paper.