PDA

View Full Version : The difference between Trap, Skeet and Sporting Clays is...

ysr_racer
06-25-2011, 8:34 PM
For those that don't know, trap uses one machine in front of you with 5 shooting positions in a semi circle. The targets always go away from you.

http://www.daviddobson.com/images/trapfield.gif

Skeet uses two machines, a high house on your left and a low house on your right, with eight shooting positions in a 1/2 circle. The targets always cross in front of you.

http://www.daviddobson.com/images/skeetfield.gif

Sporting clays is like golf. Every golf course is different and so is sporting clays. Most SC courses have between 12 and 24 stations with two to four machines per station.

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL856/883856/23833291/397387121.jpg

The Virus
06-25-2011, 8:47 PM
and SC is alot more fun!!!

POWG
06-25-2011, 9:04 PM
Great job on the illustration.

Fun is as fun does ...as POWG opines Forrest Gump would say!

All shooting is fun and we need all shooters of every kind to embrace all of the shooting sports. Our 2nd Amendment Rights and many others depend upon it!

Quick comment on the difference ...pretty much night & day!

POWG is out.

sargenv
06-25-2011, 9:33 PM
And then there is action shotgunning... stages designed like USPSA stages.. steel, static and aerial clays, plates, pipes, and slugs on paper.. with a timer and reloading on the clock.. targets at ranges from 23 ft to 50 yards (or farther for the bigger matches).. That game has usually semi auto's and pumps with extended mag tubes and sometimes optical sights and for the open guns, 4-6 round speed loading tubes. Ammo requirements can be bird shot, buck shot, and/or slugs.. :)

The Virus
06-25-2011, 9:35 PM
and 3 gun...........

aippi
06-25-2011, 9:53 PM
You should have added that most of us can bust a few clays in trap or skeet but them sporting clays can come from anywhere and the guys that shoot that well on a regular bases are some of the best shotgunners around. And I will add that I ain't one of them and could not even begin to hand with those guys.

tonelar
06-25-2011, 10:08 PM
As a kid, I busted clays with my family up in Calistoga, but it was with a spring loaded launcher that we loaded ourselves.
Today was my first visit to a formal facility and even though my shotgun was an 18" Stoeger coach gun, I had a GREAT time.
I'll definitely re-equip and head back to the Pacific Rod and Gun Club again.

Thanks YSR, I had no idea what I was shooting today... It was def the first two, but our third stage was this tower that launched overhead and away...

Thefeeder
06-26-2011, 12:53 AM
As a kid, I busted clays with my family up in Calistoga, but it was with a spring loaded launcher that we loaded ourselves.
Today was my first visit to a formal facility and even though my shotgun was an 18" Stoeger coach gun, I had a GREAT time.
I'll definitely re-equip and head back to the Pacific Rod and Gun Club again.

Thanks YSR, I had no idea what I was shooting today... It was def the first two, but our third stage was this tower that launched overhead and away...

Was dat you shooting next to Nancy on the Trap stage

I heard things Tonlar, I heard things.

Come to a Skeet clinic...

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=405000

ScottB
06-26-2011, 9:42 AM
The real difference is cost. SC costs too much

bob7122
06-26-2011, 10:28 AM
thanks for the post.

Williexcited
06-26-2011, 12:38 PM
Just shot sporting clays for the first time. It was the most fun out of all the games

oldguy870
06-26-2011, 3:42 PM
For me, trap is the easiest. I can consistently shoot above 20. Skeet is a mixed bag. Sometime I shoot a 23. Sometimes I shoot a 17. I can never figure out which version of "me" will show up to shoot.

Sporting clay is much, much harder. What is a respectable score on a 50 shot course?

707electrician
06-26-2011, 4:49 PM
Thank you! I have always wondered

JohnFLand
06-26-2011, 6:59 PM
Sporting clay is much, much harder. What is a respectable score on a 50 shot course?

25/50.

'Cause that's what I shot today (3rd time ever, and haven't shot trap/skeet in 38 years). That's my story for what's "respectable", and I'm sticking to it! ;)