PDA

View Full Version : New LAPD cruisers

bigevil
06-25-2011, 6:58 PM
looking spiffy.

New LAPD cars : video (http://translogic.aolautos.com/2011/05/23/translogic-55-lapd-chevy-caprice-ppv/)

Ubermcoupe
06-25-2011, 7:45 PM
Looks Good. Has LAPD officially endorsed this as fleet vehicle? or are they still in trial phase?

GMG
06-25-2011, 8:34 PM
From what i can gather most munisipalities are being pushed toward GM and Chrys because they owe big bucks to the government.

I have talked to the BP and local PD's about changing away from the Crown Victoria's and E series vans at the garage level they are not happy!

JS89
06-25-2011, 8:41 PM
Looks clean and I'm a GM guy but my vote for a pv would be a charger pursuit.

ZirconJohn
06-25-2011, 8:55 PM
Hhahaa.. okay there BIG CITY fellers... keep it clean and legal now...

What'cha gonna DO when they come for YOU...!?!

BaaaH-wooP-wooooooP...! :surrender:

hitman13
06-25-2011, 9:02 PM

Too low to the ground and the brakes suck....

yzernie
06-25-2011, 9:25 PM
AND, the biggest problem is they do not have boxed frames. Cop work is tough on cars and a channel frame cannot withstand the beatings like a boxed frame can. Several departments have had to shelve some of their Chargers because of bent frames and Dodge won't stand behind the product.

Dodge has gained a bad reputation in LE because of that. They tell the depts to bad, you overloaded the car and caused the damage yourself....WTF???...it's supposed to be a heavy duty use Police car!!! Bad rep justified imo.

JS89
06-26-2011, 12:11 AM
Too low to the ground and the brakes suck....

I disagree. I have seen first hand what the Dodge can do when going from chasing a motor at just under 150 mph on the freeway and having to shave off enough speed to exit the freeway and clear an intersection at the bottom of the ramp. I am not saying that the Dodge is the "perfect" PV.

I would say that the three biggest problems would have to be the trunk space, getting use to blind spots (compared to the crown vic) and the shifter. Reverse is incredibly hard to get into when having to do it in a hurry. Often times it will say that the car is in reverse, but in fact, it's still in neutral and requires just a bit more play to get into R.

ironcross
06-26-2011, 12:23 AM
Well so far there are four new patrol vehicles.

The Caprice (Seen above)

Ford Taurus;Ford Explorer;
d-fiFAq-kOs

Carbon E7
mcJcw6fm498

415dog!
06-26-2011, 2:30 AM
chargers are awful....no room for mdc's, tranny is picky about gears, yes they are fast but in a city where stop and go is constant the ride becomes jerky...the acceleration is way to sensitive

Scratch705
06-26-2011, 2:46 AM
that carbon e7 is like vaporware. been hearing about it for years and yet none has come out.

BigDogatPlay
06-26-2011, 9:55 AM
The Chargers in service around my neck of the woods have not been durable at all. Suspension and brakes have been problematic. Streets and roads here have been neglected, in some cases for decades and those rough roads become that much harder on cars that have to drive on them 24/7.

yzernie
06-26-2011, 11:02 AM
that carbon e7 is like vaporware. been hearing about it for years and yet none has come out.
Cost prohibitive. Maybe one for the dog and pony shows but I don't know of any dept that would spend that kind of money on a car that will just get beat to hell in a couple months.

hitman13
06-26-2011, 11:20 AM
I disagree. I have seen first hand what the Dodge can do when going from chasing a motor at just under 150 mph on the freeway and having to shave off enough speed to exit the freeway and clear an intersection at the bottom of the ramp. I am not saying that the Dodge is the "perfect" PV.

I would say that the three biggest problems would have to be the trunk space, getting use to blind spots (compared to the crown vic) and the shifter. Reverse is incredibly hard to get into when having to do it in a hurry. Often times it will say that the car is in reverse, but in fact, it's still in neutral and requires just a bit more play to get into R.

My bad, the brakes STOP the car, bu don't last very long:)

jeep7081
06-27-2011, 11:29 AM
looking spiffy.

New LAPD cars : video (http://translogic.aolautos.com/2011/05/23/translogic-55-lapd-chevy-caprice-ppv/)

Very nice!

El Gato
06-27-2011, 11:45 AM
having driven an impala interceptor for a few years....

the front seats were fine.. except I eventually had to trade cars to a Crown Vic as the way the pillar in the impala sits in relation to the front drivers seat.. I kept injuring my back getting in and out...

the front drive is a front drive.. I prefer rear wheel drive.. but the gun was pretty peppy in the mountains esp.... and I could make way better time on the mountain roads in the impala than the CV...just gotta drive front wheel drive different...

the Impala was faster than the CV.. no question...and more nimble...and once the factory rotors/brakes wore out and were upgraded...the thing would stop on a dime...

the back seat was a joke to put large prisoners in.. but the CV is too if you are looking at a 3 hour drive with a prisoner to jail...but in both cases the hard plastic seats work well enough...

if this new vehicle is larger... should be a nice enough car...

put 50000 miles on my CV, personally, over the last couple of years (assigned vehicle)...and kept up the car service... was very pleased overall with the CV as a vehicle both as a driver and as a person who often has to place people in the back seat....but that was the Interceptor version... Ive driven the non-interceptor version... what a boat...geez...

SeanCasey
06-27-2011, 3:45 PM
I think the Caprice has a chance at making an impact. Rear drive, good power, good brakes, good handling, looks like there is a lot of room to store gear. The car is basically a long wheel base version of the car (Holden Commodore) that was sold as the Pontiac G8 GT (which was a pretty darn nice car). I think the Commodore is used as a police vehicle in Austrailia.

tyrist
06-27-2011, 8:17 PM

Charger is total junk. The charger is extremely small on the inside and sustains thousand of dollars in damage when a crown vic sustains none.

Patrick Aherne
06-29-2011, 11:08 AM
To the poster whO stated that we are purchasing GM and Chrysler vehicles because the govt owns them: not true. Ford is ceasing production of the crown vic. Most agencies would be content to continue purchasing CVs because we just transfer cages, racks and consoles from old cars to new which saves money. FWD cars suck for police work; transmissions and half shafts hate running over curbs and medians.

saigarocks
06-29-2011, 11:57 PM
chevy may bring this back as a civilian car - of course it was already here as a pontiac - and did not sell

chiselchst
07-01-2011, 1:54 AM
chevy may bring this back as a civilian car - of course it was already here as a pontiac - and did not sell

Really? Pontiac announced it doors were closing 2-weeks after the 2009 G8 GXP was launched. Both the GT and the GXP received very good reviews...from normally harsh critics.

Funny thing is, I'm shopping for a Pontiac G8 GT right now, basically the same car, shortened by 1'. The Caprice can be purchased outside the US, like in Saudi, etc. Rumors are it might be released here, in a tamed down version no hood scoops, etc).

I've done a fair amount of research on this platform, and most LE reviews I've read really liked it. The seat is designed for 12 hour shifts, and suppose to be quite comfortable. Maybe not as comfy as the Vic...but way sportier ;)

The gadgets on that car are impressive.

Sorry to bust in here, I'm not even a LEO...:eek:

George Loony
07-04-2011, 12:27 AM
From what i can gather most munisipalities are being pushed toward GM and Chrys because they owe big bucks to the government.

I have talked to the BP and local PD's about changing away from the Crown Victoria's and E series vans at the garage level they are not happy!

Not to mention the fact that this administration is trying to control LE through funding.

kemikalembalance
07-04-2011, 3:38 AM
first off, the car is nice. but no way is the city or county gonna give that much horse power! but with all the accidents ive dealt with in the north county, we need full frames, big cars, skid plates, and better brakes. and the cost to retrain the motorpool to maintain a beast like that, $$$$$. guess we'll see. that sucks about the gov forcing purchase like that. quality goes way down without competition.