PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding CLP and solvents

meglawho
06-25-2011, 3:42 PM
I apologize in advance if this has been already addressed, but my preliminary searches did not give a really clear answer....

My question is on gun cleaning solvents (ie Hoppes No. 9) and the various CLPs out there. Is there any difference between using a solvent (and then regular oil/lube), and an all-in-one CLP, with respect to cleaning and lubrication effectiveness? I've always used the tried and true clean with petroleum based solvent and then lubing with oil, but I would be nice to use an all-in-one product like a CLP, especially if it works just as well. A non-toxic and environmentally friendly CLP would be even nicer.

Just wanted to know people's thoughts, preferences, and experiences.

Thanks in advance.

justin15w
06-25-2011, 4:23 PM
The solvent alone and oiling after will, in general, do a better job.

That being said, I use CLP liberally, don't use hard solvents, and am running strong. It tends to burn off quickly, though, so I use a grease/Slip2000 on the hard wear areas. Also, it only really gets the carbon off. If you have a heavy buildup of something else that is effecting accuracy/reliability, go with the solvent.

Save the solvents for your 1-2krnd cleaning and use CLP in between.

reidnez
06-25-2011, 4:41 PM
CLP is alright as an all-in-one, it is all you're allowed to use in the service--besides the occasional solvent bath at the armory.

That said, in my opinion the service went to an "all-in-one" product primarily for logistical reasons, not because it is superior. In my opinion you are better-served by using a good solvent and a good oil. In fact, you're even better served by using grease at key friction points (automotive hi-temp bearing grease works great. A $5 can will last you years.) It's more slippery, stays where you put it and doesn't bake off with heat. Firearms love grease. In fact, it used to be standard issue--but that has gone away with the advent of teflon coatings and the like. Nonetheless, modern firearms still benefit from grease.

Just my 2 cents. But yes, you can use CLP for everything and it's ok...

The Virus
06-25-2011, 4:54 PM
Wait for it............

carnelianbay
06-25-2011, 4:59 PM
CLP is great stuff.

PS: How many posts before an FL cult member chimes in? :sleeping:

anothergunnut
06-25-2011, 5:28 PM
CLP is complete crap; you should use a product made out of ground up amphibians. Just because the military uses it exclusively doesn't mean you should. After all, what does the US military know about sustained automatic fire in combat situations?

Seriously, CLP works fine but many people prefer to use a cleaner and then a lubricant as they don't need to worry about having to deliver two different products to troops in the field and they can get an optimal product for each job.

popeye4
06-25-2011, 7:07 PM
CLP is a good all around cleaner and a great preservative. But like many things that try to do it all, you can find specialized substances that will do one thing better (like removing copper fouling). But if all you have is CLP, you won't have a problem, especially with an AR type weapon. For one of the older designs, like an M1 or M14, you need grease in the high wear areas. Oil for protection, grease for lubrication on those.

patobravo
06-26-2011, 10:05 AM
I've been cleaning & lubing with CPL on my AR since I put it together earlier this year. I had been using BVAC ammo with no issues but for the last 500 rounds bought some Wolf which result in many failure to load issues, more CLP didn't help much. I finally solvent cleaned/oiled it and the feed problems went away. Part of it may be it's easier to inspect a solvent cleaned part than one with a film of CLP, at least for my eyesight. With the solvent I had noticed a small amount of crude on the feed ramps, I suspect that was causing the misfeeds.

So, if one chose to go the solvent/oil route at particular cleaning intervals what are the high wear areas where it might be a good idea to use a bit of high temp grease?

Pryde
06-26-2011, 10:09 AM
CLP is a bottle of compromise that does nothing well.
As a lube it burns off too fast.
Official policy for military snipers is apparently to NOT use CLP in bore cleaning of precision rifles because it has a long term detrimental effect on accuracy.

xxINKxx
06-26-2011, 10:18 AM
Wait for it............

Hahahaha.. +1

xxINKxx
06-26-2011, 10:30 AM
I only use clp (rem oil) as an emergency lube I keep in my bag. Also I like to use it after I clean my guns and plan on putting them away in the gun safe for awhile. Ide rather put them away with light lube then dry.

Also, it's too oily, messy and wd-40 like to be used as a good cleaner (doesn't seem to do anything as far as cleaning gunk goes) and too thin and dries up too quick when you shoot using it. I do like spraying it in my mags on the springs after I wash them out, gives me a better feeling to help keep rust away and function smoother. Also a light mist and wipe down on the exterior of the gun makes it look shiny and clean befor putting them in the safe.

meglawho
07-06-2011, 2:10 PM
Thanks to everyone for the input. I think the best bet may be to try different things out and see what works best for my needs.

1911su16b870
07-06-2011, 3:20 PM
I have used the Otis bore cleaner/clp since they rolled it out and it has worked very well for me. I like the fact that after its solvent evaporates you can see the lube on the surface where it was applied. It works well with bore cleaning.