PDA

View Full Version : Feed problem with 1919A4

D53
06-25-2011, 10:35 AM
So I took my Allied Armament 1919A4 out to the range yesterday and was not able to get it to feed correctly. I was able to get the first round chambered and down range, but then the link would get caught up and would not chamber the next round. Even when I cycled the charging handle it still would not feed the next round. Mine is chambered for .308 which I am starting to find out from looking around that I should have gone with the .30-06. Any ides on what I can do to fix my feeding issue? Thanks

EBR Works
06-25-2011, 10:58 AM
What ammo were you using? The 1919 is very sensitive to cartridge OAL. Ammo regardless of caliber must be minimum mil-spec length or the cartridge extractor cannot grab the next round out of the link. If it's too long OAL, it will bind in the feedway. We run our .308 gun at with rounds at 2.775" OAL and it runs flawlessly.

wilit
06-25-2011, 11:31 AM
+1 on what EBR Works said. What ammo are you using? My .308 runs brass ammo like no other. I've heard of people having issues with Wolf because the OAL is a little too short.

D53
06-25-2011, 1:35 PM
I am using some mil surp linked ammo, i believe it was British mil surp.

EBR Works
06-25-2011, 2:11 PM
If you hand cycle the gun several times do the rounds feed through properly?

GMG
06-25-2011, 2:13 PM
I would normally suggest going over to 1919a4.com.

But it looks like that site has been down the 3 days.

Have you fired this gun before, is this a new problem?

SVT-40
06-25-2011, 3:59 PM
Did you properly check and set the head space before you started shooting??? Head space is adjustable in these guns, and will cause issues if not properly set.

GMG
06-25-2011, 4:34 PM
Head spacing a 1919a4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4kQNTcos9A&NR=1

50BMGBOB
06-25-2011, 4:59 PM
So I took my Allied Armament 1919A4 out to the range yesterday and was not able to get it to feed correctly. I was able to get the first round chambered and down range, but then the link would get caught up and would not chamber the next round. Even when I cycled the charging handle it still would not feed the next round.....
Any ides on what I can do to fix my feeding issue? Thanks

Is the belt advancing? Remember with a belt fed, two things are happening. Besides the round being pulled from the belt and chambered, it is also advancing the belt to position the next round. Ammo lenght is critical, but if there is a problem advancing the belt the next round won't be in place.

There are two paws, a holding paw that holds the belt in place and a feeding paw that rides on the shuttle and goes out and pulls the belt in. Both have a small sping that can weaken with time. If the belt slides out and in with the shuttle then check the holding paw. If it doesn't slide out but doesn't advance, check the feeding paw.

If it does advance like it should, how does it line up when in place? Is it square? To short of OAL in the ammo and the extracting arm can't grab it to pull from the belt. To long and it will bind or kick sideways and the arm can't grab it.

If it is a new gun, if the right side plate isn't fitted to the front trunnion properly, there can be a ridge that the used links can hang up on instead of ejecting out the side. That can keep the next round from advancing properly

Headspacing to tight or loose can also cause feeding issues.

A lot is going on so a little more info is needed.

smle-man
06-25-2011, 5:06 PM
Are you using correct links? The NATO links will not work in most 1919s. FWIW Wolf .308 ball works fine in mine. American Eagle ball is too short to feed properly in mine.

IntoForever
06-25-2011, 5:25 PM
Can you post a pic of the links you are using? Also, measure the cartridges and post their length. We'll start by eliminating the easy problems first.

smle-man
06-25-2011, 11:05 PM
An important question to answer is: has it worked properly previously and if so, what variables have been changed now that it doesn't work? I suspect the links if you are using the links that came with the RG Brit ball ammo.

D53
06-29-2011, 11:28 PM
Well after talking to some buddies and then coming home and checking it, my problem was a total newb operator error. The links that came on the brit ammo was the reason it would hang up. I grabbed the zip lock bag of the Israeli links that came with the gun (that I conveniently left at home that day at the range) and now everything feeds perfectly. Well other then a little damaged pride, I am stoked to be back on track.

edit: To answer some of the above questions, it was my first time out with the 1919, the headspace was GTG.

50BMGBOB
06-30-2011, 9:24 PM
Sounds great. Welcome to the belt-fed family!

D53
06-30-2011, 11:53 PM
Sounds great. Welcome to the belt-fed family!

Thanks, I am starting to spend some more time over at BFS and 1919. Maybe next time I won't make such a rookie move.

xibunkrlilkidsx
06-30-2011, 11:56 PM
at least it was an easy fix.

smle-man
07-01-2011, 5:38 PM
Well after talking to some buddies and then coming home and checking it, my problem was a total newb operator error. The links that came on the brit ammo was the reason it would hang up. I grabbed the zip lock bag of the Israeli links that came with the gun (that I conveniently left at home that day at the range) and now everything feeds perfectly. Well other then a little damaged pride, I am stoked to be back on track.

edit: To answer some of the above questions, it was my first time out with the 1919, the headspace was GTG.

That is good news. Interestingly enough you can use the NATO/Brit links with modifications. Snap off the tail and position the link so the large ring is positioned at about the same position where the Browning link would be. The cartridge isn't a super tight fit but they will feed if this is all you have on hand.

D53
07-01-2011, 8:10 PM
That is good news. Interestingly enough you can use the NATO/Brit links with modifications. Snap off the tail and position the link so the large ring is positioned at about the same position where the Browning link would be. The cartridge isn't a super tight fit but they will feed if this is all you have on hand.

Right on, thanks for the tip