PDA

View Full Version : Building a full-size Uzi carbine from NoDak Spud

chead
06-25-2011, 1:59 AM
I wasn't quite sure if this should go in Gunsmithing or here in Rifles so if a moderators feels the need to move it, please do!

Rather than the process of building (which seems pretty simple using the pre-welded receiver from NoDak Spud), I'm curious what experiences Calguns folks have had with a carbine build using military parts kits and US-made barrels.

I love the wood stock look, and they're super cheap apparently. It looks like I could get the whole thing built for under $600 which is kind of astounding.

Can you DROS this receivers are rifles? I don't see why not, but it's a good question to ask!

The barrel drops in and is tightened with the lug, but doesn't need to be pressed or welded into the trunnion, right? The build instructions I've seen sort of skip that and just say "attach the barrel".

How difficult is the de-mill procedure from a military parts kit?

MrPlink
06-25-2011, 4:10 AM
yes, the receiver would be DROS'd like any other receiver intended for a rifle build.

Outside of that, I dont know the first thing about UZIs save for they shoot 9mm, and I have a buncha pre-ban hi-caps for one sitting arround somewhere from when I was a kid.

chead
06-25-2011, 4:50 AM
yes, the receiver would be DROS'd like any other receiver intended for a rifle build.

Outside of that, I dont know the first thing about UZIs save for they shoot 9mm, and I have a buncha pre-ban hi-caps for one sitting arround somewhere from when I was a kid.

From what I gather the barrels are 16" US made, and turned down for the semi auto barrel retainer, the NoDak receiver has the blocking bar pre-welded, and a parts kit should just "drop in"? Someone tell me I'm wrong and it's so hard so I don't spend money on the internet.

e: And the OAL with a fixed wood stock is 31" inches or so.

dachan
06-25-2011, 5:07 AM
1) Uzi barrels slip into the trunion and are held in place by a few spins of the barrel nut

2) Building a semi-auto Uzi from a semi-auto kit (from places like D&D) and a semi-auto receiver is easier than assembling some Happy Meal toys

3) Building a semi-auto Uzi from a semi-auto kit and a semi-auto receiver cost almost as much as a semi-auto Vector

4) A semi-auto receiver need to be DROS like any other OLL

5) Military kits usally comes with a demilled receiver, doesn't require DROS'ing; but will need to be re-welded/re-assembled as a semi-auto reciever

6) Alternatively, you can purchase & DROS a semi-auto reciever for use with a military kit

7) When building a semi-auto Uzi from a military kit, in addition to building or purchasing a semi-auto receiver, you'll need to purchase a legal length barrel, mill the bolt to fit the SA receiver and for closed bolt operation, block off the selector switch from entering happy mode and modify the sear. In additionk, if you're thinking of the wood stock, it'll have to be modified to become non-detachable. I'm sure there a few other mods required to satisfy BATF; also keep in mind 922R.

Bottomline, (a) you'll need to know what you're doing to build a SA Uzi from a military kit, (b) it's trivial to build a SA Uzi from a SA kit and SA receiver, but several $100's more, and (c) an off the shelf Vector is not much more than a SA kit and receiver.

chead
06-25-2011, 5:45 AM
Is it illegal to use a semi receiver, semi bolt, and unmodified FA lower? It's not like the gun could actually fire FA at that point..
I can't seem to find a Vector with a wood stock anywhere, but I know they make/made them.

Stamatos
06-28-2011, 10:47 PM
I built my Uzi from a FA kit from Numrich and an NDS receiver. I traded the FA parts I couldn't use for credit toward the parts I wanted from D&D Sales. Sat down and built the whole thing in an hour on a Sunday afternoon. Great learning experience and now I know my new weapon inside and out, part by part. I highly recommend this route.

BTW, I went for the wood stock too! :clap:

Lagduf
06-29-2011, 3:31 PM
Can someone recommend a website with a tutorial or direct me to some information regarding assembling/building an Uzi?

I would like to put one together using the NDS receiver and the relevant semi-auto parts.

I understand the increased cost, but I think it sounds like fun.

I have some experience building/assembling weapons. I've built an AK from an NDS receiver and completed an 80% AR lower.

If this is pretty nooby friendly it sounds like fun.

Peter W Bush
06-29-2011, 3:37 PM
tagged!

dachan
06-29-2011, 4:36 PM
Can someone recommend a website with a tutorial or direct me to some information regarding assembling/building an Uzi?

I would like to put one together using the NDS receiver and the relevant semi-auto parts.

I understand the increased cost, but I think it sounds like fun.

I have some experience building/assembling weapons. I've built an AK from an NDS receiver and completed an 80% AR lower.

If this is pretty nooby friendly it sounds like fun.

Uzitalk is your best resource; but assembly with a semi-auto kit is truely only 5 steps more than field stripping.

However, again a warning, if you are using a detachable stock, it must be modified; otherwise it rifle will not meet federal minimum OAL requirements. Here's instructions on one way of doing the mod:
http://files.uzitalk.com/reference/pages/review-fixedstock.htm

Stamatos
06-29-2011, 6:58 PM
There used to be a great video on youtube that took you through the whole process but it has been taken down since then. I'll see if I can dig up the series.