PDA

View Full Version : Deer decoy

Scarecrow Repair
12-26-2006, 7:17 AM
Not a hunter myself, but I wonder if anyone has any personal experience with these ... http://www.voanews.com/english/AmericanLife/2006-12-20-voa34.cfm

anotherone
12-26-2006, 10:10 AM
They're definitely cool and probably quite effective. However, fortunately for us animals aren't as smart as most humans. I say "most humans" because I'm confident a buck or mallard is much smarter than my sister-in-law but I digress...

Point being that you can get very effective decoys from Carry-Lite for about 1/10th the price of these robotic ones. The Carry-Lite pretty-boy and pretty-girl Turkey decoy set is only $99 and is incredibly effective at getting Toms to come up and challange pretty-boy. As far as other decoys go I use Greenhead gear for ducks and I've found everything from torn newspaper and magazines to white rags is effective at decoying snow geese. Snow Geese are really loud and really dumb... kinda like that guy at work who always wanders by and talks about last nights reality TV shows :P!

Scarecrow Repair
12-27-2006, 7:33 AM
I was mainly curious about the inner workings of these "robotic" decoys. I guess they have a remote control, probably wireless, so the game warden near the road can move the head etc. If I were doing it, my big worry would be bullets disabling vital parts, so I wonder if those are all in some sort of armored box, with just cables going out to the connections, and the box itself having sloped sides to hopefully deflect shots. But if one catch for loaded rifle in the vehicle, shooting from a vehicle, and no license pays for the decoy, maybe that is not a consideration, since probably only one out of ten decoys would be disabled.

NRAhighpowershooter
12-27-2006, 10:25 AM
I don't think these robotic decoys are legal for hunting use in CA... but I could be wrong.........

hoffmang
12-27-2006, 12:57 PM
It looks like their primarily being used for poaching enforcement.

-Gene