PDA

View Full Version : Looking to move, where is the best waterfowl and big game hunting in the US?

anotherone
12-26-2006, 12:17 AM
Well tonight my wife broke the news to me again: we're gonna be moving when we have children. Much like myself, she wants to move somewhere where we get to decide our children's values, not the state. However, it would be great if we could go somewhere where there was some seriously kick ***** hunting and fishing and she did give me room to pick where we would go. Where are some of the better spots to live to hunt waterfowl and big game in the United States? And please be realistic because we do have to move somewhere where there is work available not the backwoods of Arkansas heh!

Somewhere with better gun laws wouldn't be bad either but I'm much more concerned about good hunting than I am about CCWs, etc.

50ae
12-26-2006, 12:44 AM
Just north of Dallas is a great place to raise the kids and you're with in driving distance of great hunting. The gun laws are excellent of course.

anotherone
12-26-2006, 12:50 AM
I've heard the snow goose hunting in Texas rocks. Is there a lot of public land to hunt down there or do you have to spend untold thousands to get onto private land like you do in Cali?

whomper
12-26-2006, 2:31 AM
Honestly. God Blessed Texas. Just watch out for the southern end of the state, its hot and humid as hell. I'd take a look at northern Arizona (Flagstaff), southern Colorado, and northern New Mexico (i.e. FOUR CORNERS!). I can't say much about the waterfowl, but at least you'll have a lot of other hunting opportunities. Not only that, but you might be able to trade hunting rights. Example: Joe in South TX wants to trade a guided goose hunt in the Coastal Bend of TX for a Mule Deer hunt in North New Mexico It does happen. I've seen listing for guys who wanted to trade hog hunts in different states.
Also, look into NFA items (MACHINEGUNS!!!). You can own them in non-commie states. Another reason I'm leaving this God-forsaken state.

50ae
12-26-2006, 4:25 AM
Their is a huge number of private leases but you can usually get in pretty cheap, set up a feeder and deer stand and be set. As far as fowl goes, down in Matagorda Bay I saw the guys going hunting down there for free a lot.