PDA

View Full Version : 930 SPX as a first gun?

Montu
06-24-2011, 4:21 PM
Have any of you regretted buying a 930spx?

what are your thoughts of one as a first gun for Home defense / fun with slugs

the price (of the slugs) makes me second guess whether it would be a good gun for me to get.

Should I just get an AR that would be more practical at the range?

the way I see it its primary purpose has to be home defense, but it will be used way more often for fun

I can't really see putting fun before self defense if it comes down to it

IPSICK
06-24-2011, 4:25 PM
I love mine and it's great with birdshot. I think it is a good first gun and great for home defense. You can get the barrel threaded for chokes if you like.

ABN-RGR
06-25-2011, 11:39 AM
You can't beat a shotgun's stopping power. If your primary purpose is HD, the only drawback (IMHO) to a shotgun for HD is the length and the length getting in the way of "cutting the pie" around corners.

Good luck (and have fun!) with whatever firearm you decide to purchase.

Montu
06-25-2011, 1:19 PM
Thanks guys,

I'll probably end up getting both at some point.

but I think I'm set..I'll get the 930 for now....and maybe down the line build an AR too lol

shortround1
06-25-2011, 3:19 PM
Shotgun ammo is still more affordable than rifle ammo.

vintagedude88
06-25-2011, 8:54 PM
Last time I checked, 12ga 2-3/4 slugs were bulk packed at 15rnds for less than $10 at Walmart.

TravisPitt
06-26-2011, 10:54 AM
I recently bought the Mossberg 930 SPX, added a Choate pistol grip. I'm also adding a Limbsaver recoil pad. I hope to shoot it next weekend. For the price you won't find a better semi-auto 12 gauge, Mossberg quality is very hard to beat (I have a Mossberg 500 12 gauge pump I love).

Regarding ammo costs, yes, Walmart has both Remington and Federal slugs, both priced about $8.99 for a 15-pack. I bought some a few days ago. Much cheaper to practice with birdshot, though, load it with buck for HD. Just my .02c.

MrExel17
06-26-2011, 11:16 AM
I love mine and will never let this baby go. Its pretty lightweight in my opinion, and eats every ammo with no jams. I add the bulldozer rail on it to add weight to help with recoil which it did a bit heavy but dont mind it. If you do decide to get one you will not be disappointed especially considering the price in comparison with other semi on the market.

MossbergMan
06-26-2011, 11:28 AM
I know money is tight these days and the 930SPX is an excellent SG. I even retired my trusty Benelli S90-A1 because the SPX is that good of a gun.
However, if you learn on a pump action gun first you will be able to shoot any SG well. It's been my experience that those that learn on a semi-auto first have all kinds of problems when confronted with a pump gun. Mostly they forget to "unload and reload" the gun for each shot. And the $200+ you save in price will buy some training.
I understand that being a well rounded shooter may not be a priority to many out there so if you don't see that as an issue, then the SPX is an excellent choice. I love mine.

JDPhx501
06-26-2011, 6:56 PM
Its a great shotgun. Was hard to find but definitely alot of bargain for the price. I keep a few slugs and 00 buck for HD but its downed hundreds of clay pigeons at the range. All my friends who've shot it love it and have a blast.

Sheepdog1968
06-26-2011, 7:50 PM
I love Mossberf 500s and 590s. I've also shot the 930SPX quite extensively. I am absolutely of the opinion that the Moss 500 and 590 are much better choices for home defense. I found the 930SPX to not have the same level of relability as the pumps.

shortround1
06-26-2011, 8:55 PM
Last time I checked, 12ga 2-3/4 slugs were bulk packed at 15rnds for less than $10 at Walmart.

Yeah, I bought a couple 15 round packs the other day for $8.97.

hcbr
06-26-2011, 9:13 PM
definitely both but the 930 is a great gun regardless if it's your first or 1207098098th :D

Montu
06-27-2011, 8:37 AM
Thanks Guys,

I checked one out at the Gun store I'm pretty sure I'll be buying one next week.

Now should I buy it with or without the pistol grip? I don't really like how it makes getting to the safety awkward...

Also what kind of range can I reasonably expect from slugs?

resident-shooter
06-27-2011, 10:47 AM
it nice. I buy.

clbshooter
07-19-2011, 7:44 PM
Hi Montu, have you got the SPX yet? When I was deciding which I was going to get I looked over every shotgun forum I could find. What I came up with was the unit# 85360. This is the one with the ghost ring sights and the straight stock (not the pistol grip). You are right about the location of the safety. With the pistol grip it will make it harder to use. There are/were problems with these from the factory that you can solve by paying attention to what people are saying about them in the forums. As far as slugs go I would not use them as a HD round as they will go thru alot before stopping. I do shoot them but only at the range to break my SG in and have some in the gunsafe just in case. I think the best round for HD is 00 buck low recoil from Federal. You can buy shells online very reasonably in bulk. If you or your GF are not accustomed to shooting there are courses here and other places to learn. If you decide to go this route the question of how you are going to store it is as important. God forbid that the guy next door breaks in when you are not there and uses it on your GF, or even steals it and uses it on someone else. I am not trying to upset anyone I just think that the decision to buy a gun is a small part of the responsibilty of being a gun owner. I am sure I am leaving some things out but if you go to all the forums and read all you can and get as much info on shooting and gun responsibility you will be fine. The 930 may be too much for your GF to learn with so the classes will be helpful to her as well. If the 930 is too much you may be ok with a 20 guage with the proper ammo.

GW
07-19-2011, 9:01 PM
930 SPX as a first gun?
Why not? Its a good solid gun and fun to shoot too.
go for it!

SDS-Ruger
07-19-2011, 9:21 PM
does anyone know anywhere that has them in stock i can not seem to find them. I'm really wanting to get one of these.

prc77
07-19-2011, 9:29 PM
does anyone know anywhere that has them in stock i can not seem to find them. I'm really wanting to get one of these.http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=9535172.0

another option

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/37_246/products_id/17641

SDS-Ruger
07-19-2011, 9:47 PM
I was looking for local in solcal because of all the fees

clbshooter
07-23-2011, 11:17 AM
I picked up mine (930SPX w/o pistol grip item # 85360) from Turners in San Diego on 7-5-11 for $640 plus all the fees. It is the 3rd Gen and looks ok except the mag spring issue. It sounded like they have a few in the warehouse from what the salesman said. Good luck

SDS-Ruger
07-24-2011, 11:52 AM
thanks clbshooter. what is the mag spring issue?

clbshooter
07-24-2011, 3:26 PM
There have been several problems with them since they hit the market. Either search here for the info or go to the Mossberg Owners group forum, either way the 3rd generation is practially problem free, Mine came with a 39 inch spring and would not handle any 00 or slugs without being trimed to proper length. Don't let some of the info keep you from getting a SPX.

21SF
07-25-2011, 7:36 AM
I looked at some this weekend with intent to purchase, looked at the SPX pistol grip and regular stock, and even the blackwater special edition.

They left a lot to be desired as far as quality and fit and finish.

I'm still seeing some of the problems reported from the beggining,

Canted front sight

Loose forearm

Loose trigger group

The pistol grip stock made by choate is probably the worst synthetic I have ever seen.

It makes my Remington SPS synthetic stock look like a McMillan.

I really wanted to like the gun, but ill probably save up for the SLP or benilli M4.

Im sure they would function fine and have heard good reviews I guess im just picky.

Good luck.

GaryS1964
09-23-2011, 3:23 PM
I recently bought the Mossberg 930 SPX, added a Choate pistol grip. I'm also adding a Limbsaver recoil pad. I hope to shoot it next weekend. For the price you won't find a better semi-auto 12 gauge, Mossberg quality is very hard to beat (I have a Mossberg 500 12 gauge pump I love).

I have the SPX with a pistol grip. It beat me up the first time I took it to the range so I want to add a quality recoil pad. I actually bought the Limbsaver 10201 but it would require extensive modification to fit. So I'm still looking.

Which model Limbsaver did you get and did you get it to fit properly?