PDA

View Full Version : CMP forms question

SofaGeorge
06-24-2011, 3:38 PM
I am about to order an M1 Garand through the CMP. One of the forms I have to submit is that a range master observed me shooting a rifle for half an hour.

Does anyone know if they can do this at Burro Canyon? If so... Do I just ask the range master on the rifle line.

If not... Where in Orange County can I get this done? If I use a 22 can I qualify at the Brea indoor range?

I'm a little unsure who qualifies to sign off on this form.

BigfootHunter
06-24-2011, 3:43 PM
I too would like to know. I believe it's pretty open ended.

Josh3239
06-24-2011, 5:10 PM
It is proabably just a liability thing. CMP doesn't check it out. I've heard a lot of people fake a signature. I didn't do that, I just went to an indoor shooting range and at check in gave the form to the gentlemen behind the counter. He read it as a I explained what it was to him, he chuckled and signed it. He didn't even want to watch me shoot.

Animator
06-24-2011, 5:14 PM
You just have to show proof of safe firearms handling. It doesn't have to be a form signed off by a range officer, but you could ask any range officer to see if they wouldn't mind. The CMP told me that my CA hunting license, my CA hunting safety cetrificate, and my CA handgun safety certificate would fill that marksmanship requirement. On their site it says you could use any of the following:

•Current or past military service.

•Current or past law enforcement service

•Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).

•Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor).

•Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status. - Concealed Carry License.

•Firearms Owner Identification Cards that included live fire training. - FFL or C&R license.

•Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.

•Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. A form for use in completing and certifying your range firing can be downloaded from the CMP web site at http://www.odcmp.com/competitions/forms/marksmanship.pdf

SofaGeorge
06-24-2011, 5:22 PM
I'm not going to fake anything. I learned early in life that honesty and not lying are the only way you can ever build yourself into the kind of person you want to be... And that means not cutting corners for convenience on knucklehead stuff at times. I really want to just find the best way to do this honestly... And not have to pay for an expensive class (which is the other option).

I just wrote to Burro Canyon. I'm hoping their line officer can sign it.

It says too that a police officer can sign it... So I might ask at my local PD what day one of the officers will be at a range and see if he can sign it.

SofaGeorge
06-24-2011, 5:24 PM
Btw... Does it help to add a copy of your California handgun safety card? Or is that useless to add?

bballwizard05
06-24-2011, 5:24 PM
It is proabably just a liability thing. CMP doesn't check it out. I've heard a lot of people fake a signature. I didn't do that, I just went to an indoor shooting range and at check in gave the form to the gentlemen behind the counter. He read it as a I explained what it was to him, he chuckled and signed it. He didn't even want to watch me shoot.

this is what I did. shot a few rounds at the range, got my paper signed, and kept a clean conscious!

SofaGeorge
06-24-2011, 9:30 PM
Cool... So it sounds like so long as you do it it isn't major who signs it

Animator
06-24-2011, 9:38 PM
Btw... Does it help to add a copy of your California handgun safety card? Or is that useless to add?

CMP told me that's all I would have to send. If you have one, you won't have to have a range officer sign off on that form.

SofaGeorge
06-25-2011, 7:09 PM
Thanks all... I'm going to get the range officer to sign the form tomorrow just to play it safe. I figure with all the paper work needed... Even having to get a notary to sign the forms... I'm going to make triple sure I send them everything I can. I have been wanting an M1 Garand for most of my adult life ... And it is going to be a grand day when that rifle arrives.

SofaGeorge
06-25-2011, 7:14 PM
Footnote: my wife controls the checkbook in our household. I make the bacon... It gets electronically deposited... And I honestly haven't seen a paycheck in the 12 years we've been together. Whenever I get a bonus on a project her deal is I can get a new gun.

I don't have a clue how big a bonus my client gave me... But her only comment when she saw the deposit was "What gun do you want... 'cuz you can get it.".

dachan
06-25-2011, 8:15 PM
Suggest that you try participating in an actual CMP event. You may find something you really enjoy. When the CMP was still the DCM that was the only way, no simple signoff by a RO.

JamminJ
06-25-2011, 10:31 PM
I have been wanting an M1 Garand for most of my adult life ... And it is going to be a grand day when that rifle arrives.

Which grade of Garand are you planning on buying? So many good choices!

popeye4
06-27-2011, 10:16 AM
Thanks all... I'm going to get the range officer to sign the form tomorrow just to play it safe. I figure with all the paper work needed... Even having to get a notary to sign the forms... I'm going to make triple sure I send them everything I can. I have been wanting an M1 Garand for most of my adult life ... And it is going to be a grand day when that rifle arrives.

Yeah, and it will be delivered to your door by Fedex (used to be USPS), no CA waiting period or DROS. THAT'S the best part! In your FACE, California!

CMP (and DCM before that) were set up to promote rifle marksmanship practice. You used to have to show you actually participated in matches, now they just want to believe the rifles are going to shooters (not speculators or collectors, though a lot still do). They seem to have relaxed the requirements to demonstrate that of late.....

Homebrew2
06-27-2011, 10:47 AM
Here's a link (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=9364&highlight=handgun+saf) to the "Ask Orest" thread that confirms Hunter Ed. and Handgun Safety certs. Further into the thread he notes the relaxing of the Marksmanship requirements.