PDA

View Full Version : Teach me about some of the lower end shotgun brands please!

bballwizard05
06-24-2011, 12:32 PM
I have a wtb add up about getting a shotgun, but if nothing comes through that will work I was going to look into some of the lower end companies. I'm looking for a coach gun first and foremost and was wondering what some of the cheaper ones are out there. Also may consider an O/U. If I were to get a pump I'd want an old one so I'm not so much looking for that new. I just don't even know enough shotgun companies to start pricing the new lower end ones. any help would be appreciated.

CJBrian
06-24-2011, 12:57 PM
Stoeger makes some inexpensive coach gun and o/u's

www.stoegerindustries.com

bballwizard05
06-24-2011, 1:01 PM
I know big 5 carries the stoeger brand, and for some reason I thought they were around 260$ bucks but the guy at Big 5 quoted 389$. Which is a bit out of the range I want to pay. I was hoping there would be some companies that made a less expensive one.

redrex
06-24-2011, 1:49 PM
I know big 5 carries the stoeger brand, and for some reason I thought they were around 260$ bucks but the guy at Big 5 quoted 389$. Which is a bit out of the range I want to pay. I was hoping there would be some companies that made a less expensive one.

There are, I saw some Chinese brand at Big for for $275. You couldn't pay me to shoot that thing.

Ok, so it had hammers but they were fake. And it was so loose when I held it, you could rattle it.

If you want cheap and decent get a pump gun like one of the Mavericks. It's essentially a Mossberg 500 with some cheaper parts that don't seem to impact them to negatively.

MossbergMan
06-24-2011, 2:27 PM
You can buy cheap crap anywhere for just about anything (guns,tools, etc.).
I've found that if you buy a cheap POS you will being buying something else sooner than you would have if you'd saved up and bought something of quality. Don't buy a Maverick, they are Mossberg lights and break. With the money you spend fixing them you could have bought the real thing.
You have a choice and at the risk of sounding Nationalistic...buy American:79:.

Guns are one of the few things of value that you can buy that are still US owned and operated.
Yea, yea, yea I know the best Field/Trap guns are European, but we ain't talking bird shootin' here.

aippi
06-24-2011, 4:48 PM
Buy Quality and buy once. Buy cheap buy often. My Dad said that and I didn't listen as a young man and bought by price. He has Craftman tool that are 50+ years old and some Snap On nearly that old. Me, Could have had some nice tools by now considering all the cheap socket set, pliers and wrenches I have bought over the years that are FUBAR now.

You don't have get a bank loan to get a quality shotgun. If you want to go pump then the Mossbergs or Remington 870's will still be shooting when you leave this earth as long as they are not abused and they receive normal cleaning and care. It would be a one time purchase. My Dad is 82 and just told me today he is giving me his Mossberg .410. YES PEOPLE I AM GOING TO OWN A MOSSBERG. I am looking forward to getting it but these Gophers tearing up my yard are going to hate it. I think it is about 30 years old and I assure you it is shooting as good today as the day he bought it. Of course if I was with him that day I would have convinced him to get an 870 :D

bballwizard05
06-24-2011, 4:51 PM
good input. really not looking for a pump right now though. But I'll avoid the cheapest of the cheap!

MossbergMan
06-24-2011, 6:43 PM
Egads, then you have one choice and one choice only....The Mossberg 930 series. I perfer the 930SPX for HD/SD duties. I retired my Benelli S-90A1 when I got the SPX, it's that good.
The Chinese knock offs of the Remingtons are just that cheap and you will be replacing it way before an actual Remington or Mossberg.
Something else to consider in your purchasing of a gun....Repairs and servicing of your firearm. Remington and Mossberg have top notch service departments and are responsive to their customers needs.

Did the tempeture in H-E- double hockey sticks just reach freezing??? appi buying a Mossberg, I'm just so proud at this moment....It's right up there with the birth of my children...:flowers: Welcome JD to the wonderful world of Mossberg and Sons. Just let me know if ya need any tips for working on them......
I'm about to wet my Depends right I'm laughing so hard....

para-frame
06-24-2011, 6:58 PM
If I where you I would be looking at used SXS's, find a Savage or fox and chop the barrels, sure it won't a a true hammer gun but you will end up with a quality American gun for about the same cost as a Turkish import.

aippi
06-24-2011, 7:11 PM
No, my 82 year old father bought it way back for pest control on his farm and since I am going to GA next month he is giving me his long guns as he moved into town and no longer needs them. He has them going to me in his will anyway and wants me to take them now. That .410 is going on Gopher Murder duty as they are digging up my yard. I will be like "Bill Murry" in Caddy Shack and rid my yard of those "Gopher Cong".

And yes there Mossberg man I will be sending you PM's on any issues so I don't embarass myself in open forum. Might even have to PM just to break it down as I doubt it has been fired or cleaned in years.

He is also giving me an 1100, his favorite and the 20ga single shot his Grandfather willed to him. I will keep these guns till my Grandson is ready for them. Can't wait till he is old enough, and yes, he will start out shooting that .410 till he is old enough for his first AI&P Tactical 870

Sorry for the thread jacking just wanted to clear things up on how a fine .410 pump is ending up in my safe.

shortround1
06-25-2011, 3:34 PM
Shotguns are already the best bang-for-the-buck guns out there. Why go for a cheap manufacturer when you can get a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 on Big 5 sale for under $300? Or less for something used. Check out the calguns classified section, some good sellers there.

runway1
06-26-2011, 4:30 PM
Buy used. I finally shot a Remington 1100 that I bought for $280 (not a misprint) from a very reputable gunsmith in OC. I paid another $100 for sizing and a new gel pad. $430 out the door with sizing, gel pad, DROS, and tax! Thing is AM-AZING.

Shot it side by side with a citori and I had to keep the comments to myself or the owner of that $1500 citori would have killed me. Also bought a near perfect Beretta Silver Pigeon for $1100 that shoots like butter.

Buy used.

BigDogatPlay
06-26-2011, 4:53 PM
My Dad is 82 and just told me today he is giving me his Mossberg .410. YES PEOPLE I AM GOING TO OWN A MOSSBERG.

Has the media been alerted that the earth stopped spinning for just a second there? ;)

.410 + gophers = dead gophers. :D

+1 to what aippi and others have said. Spend a few extra bucks now for a gun that will last lifetimes. If you want a coach gun, $389 is not out of line for the Stoeger and they are solid. I had one for years and shot the beegeezus out of it. Still going strong with the guy who owns it now, far as I know.

If a pump is your style, hard to argue with Mossberg or an 870. Both are solid, American made, value.

You can indeed find bargains on consignment racks, and here on CGN among other places. But you have to be careful with those bargains and evaluate their condition closely. Older guns can, sometimes, be a PITA to find parts for if something breaks.