View Full Version : Shell pouches, vest, or what??

06-24-2011, 11:45 AM
What is useful on the skeet/trap ranges? Are vests the prefered accessory or do pouches work better? Is it just preference or is one 80% over the other? Or...is it just a nicety you can do without?

I don't want to show up at the range and say; Darn, a $15 pouch would have been a big help! Or....this $15 pouch is a waste; should've have gotten the vest....you get the idea. Thanks all!

06-24-2011, 11:56 AM
I used to have pouch and it worked fine. But then I tried a vest and bye bye pouch. The got a Browning mesh vest, little more pricey, but way worth it. It has two pockets for shells on both sides. I can, but don't put 50 rounds in a pocket, it has a large pocket that spans across the back and is accessible from both sides. I've seen people use it to collects the spent hulls, but I put my water bottle back there. It has 2 spots for chokes (where a left breast pocket would be), but the best thing is that it has a gel pad insert that helps absorb recoil.

06-24-2011, 12:06 PM
So one or the other is a definite? My son is thinking he's just gonna carry a box of shells station to staion.

06-24-2011, 12:28 PM
I would definitely get one or the other. Carrying a box of shells station to station....is he only planning on shooting 1 round? I usually shoot on the sporting clays range, so when you go out, you're out for a while.

06-24-2011, 12:51 PM
I prefer a pouch. It's location on my hip works well for how I shoot.

06-24-2011, 12:55 PM
I just bought a pouch at WallyWorld that says it holds one box of shells; I think you just tear the top off the box and put the whole thing in there.

It was only $5.00, so if I decide I don't like it, no big woop.

06-24-2011, 1:10 PM
Single box shell pouch and a shell pouch with hull bag on a good belt. range bag with a case of shells, cleaning rod, and ears. Citori case has room for chokes and tools. Hull bag plus plastic bag if someone else is throwing away aa's. I use my shell pouch/hull pouch for dove also. Ten dove will just about fill the hull pouch and I have never needed more then 25 rounds to limit out. I hate shooting vests due to gun mounting issues. While I am a little sore after shooting a case in a day I have never found the need for another recoil pad even after multiple days of 200 plus round competition. save the money for a good set of glasses.

How to add five points to your trap score, use an extra full choke and after yelling pull say to yourself one thousand one one thousand two then squeeze the trigger. It will break you of the habit of jumping the bird.

06-24-2011, 1:54 PM
I hunt ducks, pheasants and quail with a vest, but hunt dove, shoot skeet and trap with a shell pouch and bag. For me it comes down to how easy is it to get the shells for loading. Low volume shooting a vest works fine, high volume put as little in the way of getting the next shell as possible. On trap ranges they often have a little stand at the 16 yard line, so unless you are shooting handicap you need only a box of shells.

06-24-2011, 2:05 PM
A pouch is always good!!

Summer: A vest could be hot and sticky.
Winter: Hard to shoot with a sweater or jacked AND a vest.

06-24-2011, 2:26 PM
I have a double pouch, duck cotton and leather, clips on belt.

You can have it for shipping for free if you come get it.

06-24-2011, 3:31 PM
Just what I needed. Thanks all!

all torque
06-24-2011, 7:38 PM
I use cargo shorts, a box of 25 in each pocket.:D

06-24-2011, 9:28 PM
I use cargo shorts, a box of 25 in each pocket.:D

Swing looooooooowww, sweet chaaaaa-ri-ooot!!:43:

06-24-2011, 9:47 PM
Sporting clays...Cabela's shooting vest with leather front so the gun does not stick to the vest with a low gun mount.

Trap...Belt with shell box holder and hull bag. Keeping the shells in the box makes it easier to remember how many shells you have fired at each station.

Both the vest and the hull bag make it easy to keep my hulls for reloading.

06-24-2011, 10:10 PM
Just what I needed. Thanks all!

Lemme know if you want this, its barely used.

06-25-2011, 6:49 AM
Lemme know if you want this, its barely used.

See pm.