PDA

View Full Version : AAaaahhhh Dude..what an idiot.. what are you thinking!!!

Bongos
06-24-2011, 10:28 AM
Anyways, just came back from the Stockade in Westminster, I needed a powder pan for my powder dispenser and there was a kid in the store, trying to sale a M1 Garand and M1Carbine, anyways here is the kicker, I asked if I can examine it and the kid (whom was knowledgeable but kidda dumb) was telling me how rare his M1 Cabine is with the flip up sights and barrel band with TE and ME, how it was WWII bring back, the M1 Garand was a Korea correct SA with a sanded down stock.. Anywho.. I asked if he wants to sale it and he sale yes, I said how much... he said $500 for the M1Carbine and $400 for the Garand, I said OK, I'll buy it.. he said he doesn't know if the Stockade did any paperwork on it yet, I said so you sold it to the store? he goes no, the store haven't agreed to his price, I said find out "here and now", ofcourse the store employees are hearing all this, so the response... YES they started the paperwork.... yea Right.. Glad I was able to help the kid out from getting squeezed out anymore money. The sad thing is those guns are worth and easily can be sold for at least double if not a $300-$400 more...

Oh well, it is amazing these days with the internet and research... there are still idiots out there who haven't a clue..

thrillhouse700
06-24-2011, 11:06 AM
Yeah its funny people bust my balls for googling a lot of stuff. But in the end I have the last laugh because I save TONS of money by doing research first and buying things cheaper online. Some people still feel that if you use the internet your a nerd, sad the world will pass those people by.

pyro3k2
06-24-2011, 11:20 AM
A garand for 400...I would have bought it.

thevic
06-24-2011, 11:24 AM
Sometimes you find those screamin deals. Last find was a brand new HS precision stock for rem700. $50 :)

CK_32
06-24-2011, 11:32 AM
Thats stockade for you...

762.DEFENSE
06-24-2011, 11:49 AM
People still shop at the Stockade? :rofl:

xxINKxx
06-24-2011, 11:57 AM
LOL stockade. Last time I was there was in 07 trying to look at both XD and Glock subcompacts. The guy started an argument with my friend trying to proove how the Springfield XD could be field stripped much faster then the glock. Umm ok, doesnt mean squat if 1 gun takes a few seconds longer.

Funny thing is, the XD you gotta lock back the slide, drop the mag, flip the switch on the slide up, release the slide, pull the trigger, then the slide will come off. The glock you pull the 2 side things down and it slides off. LOL, Not that any of that matters whats faster. But Just shows how dumb these gun shop workers make them self out to be trying so hard to proove something that 1, isnt true, and 2nd really doesnt matter.

ERdept
06-24-2011, 12:00 PM
Stockade give terrible buy prices. But will ALWAYS buy if you need the cash.

motorwerks
06-24-2011, 12:03 PM
Yeah some folks have no google-fu! Hell I google stuff from stores on my phone and comparison shop. :D

blazeaglory
06-24-2011, 12:14 PM
LOL stockade. Last time I was there was in 07 trying to look at both XD and Glock subcompacts. The guy started an argument with my friend trying to proove how the Springfield XD could be field stripped much faster then the glock. Umm ok, doesnt mean squat if 1 gun takes a few seconds longer.

Funny thing is, the XD you gotta lock back the slide, drop the mag, flip the switch on the slide up, release the slide, pull the trigger, then the slide will come off. The glock you pull the 2 side things down and it slides off. LOL, Not that any of that matters whats faster. But Just shows how dumb these gun shop workers make them self out to be trying so hard to proove something that 1, isnt true, and 2nd really doesnt matter.

sounds like some people around here.

anyhoo, the stockade is one of those hit or miss shops but is always overpriced. i have found some good deals on used guns there though, mostly shotguns. but it is funny how some people dont know what there items is worth and there is nothing wrong with googling information when it is done properly.

iatrogenic
06-24-2011, 12:16 PM
Yeah some folks have no google-fu! Hell I google stuff from stores on my phone and comparison shop. :D

I do the same, I take a picture of the barcode with my phone and the app does the rest.

duggan
06-24-2011, 12:18 PM
A Garand for $400, I wouldn't care if he was trying to sell that thing to Jesus H. Christ himself. If I overheard that and had the money I would've swooped in on it.

CK_32
06-24-2011, 12:23 PM
People still shop at the Stockade? :rofl:

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

prerunners4life
06-24-2011, 12:44 PM
Stockade and it's brother fowlers are probably the worst places to get anything..

They r double the price of any where else, and last time I went the guy said my armalite AR-30 in 338lm was trash and I should have gotten a barrett 98B

That was the last time I went there

Bongos
06-24-2011, 2:12 PM
Well, in a Pinch and if you reload, and need it quickly, they have it and stuff like Dillon where it's $5 but to ship it cost another $7, Stockade wins hands down and you get it today. And, Oh, I said Yes, have cash lets do it, it's the guy whom said...aaagh let me check if it's OK with Stockade...what made it worst was the guy was including a Blackhawk double drag bag ($150 used value) in on the deal LOL. I got the feeling, he had no clue and this stuff was probably passed on to him by a dead relative (whom is probably cursing and turning in their grave)

FuzzyBrows
06-24-2011, 2:17 PM
i only buy from field time just down the street ever since it opened. great and friendly employees, great prices, and the store in general is roomier and well lit plus they're partnered with davidsons so they can special order you pretty myuch anything u want (ca approved ones anyways). gawd i love that store.

89 Vision
06-24-2011, 2:18 PM
I hate the Stockade. I refuse to go back there. Too bad too, cuz they got a lot of stuff.

LBDamned
06-24-2011, 2:29 PM
I was in the market for a 24/7 a while back... Filed Time Sports had it for 30-40 less than Stockade, so I asked Stockade if they would match (since I was already there)... they said no, and they didnt know how FTS keeps there doors open with that price...

I replied they sell guns :rolleyes:

I dont know how a store stays open by not moving product due to inflated prices... but Field Time isnt much better... these days I buy everything online.

BTW, I did get the 24/7 from Field Time Sports - right after I left Stockade.

MrPlink
06-24-2011, 2:36 PM
that has stolen written all over it

Ford8N
06-24-2011, 4:52 PM
This story reminds me of an old guy selling a Winchester 1873 .22 rimfire at a gunshow. The dealer was feeding the guy some bs about doing him a favor by taking that "old worn out" .22 off his hands for $100!!!!! Sad.

m1a1driver
06-24-2011, 5:02 PM
Yea , I was at the stockade a few months back, guy behind the counter asks if he can help me, I say yes, i'm looking for a tin of #10 percussion caps, and he looked at me like i'm from another planet

CK_32
06-24-2011, 5:03 PM

Good I hope they get caught up in some sh*t for it or take a loss

xibunkrlilkidsx
06-24-2011, 5:06 PM
damnit!!! why cant i ever find anything like this!

jealous of your purchase that is all.

Bongos
06-24-2011, 9:00 PM
damnit!!! why cant i ever find anything like this!

jealous of your purchase that is all.

Well sadly, I didn't get to buy it...Stockade did...

In all fairness, these guys had to pay for the overhead as well as rent for the business, a couple of years ago, at that time I didn't say anything, a retired Cop was at Ade's and Emily was working a Deal, he had a S&W 29, most likely a 29-2, it was his service revolver,Ade's was telling him, she would have ahard time selling it and offered $400, for the gun and leather, also at 500-700 rds of factory ammo they would be more than happy to dipose for him as he can't just throw them away... these have bills to pay, so they need to make money wherever possible...

Scott Connors
06-24-2011, 10:02 PM
Well sadly, I didn't get to buy it...Stockade did...

In all fairness, these guys had to pay for the overhead as well as rent for the business, a couple of years ago, at that time I didn't say anything, a retired Cop was at Ade's and Emily was working a Deal, he had a S&W 29, most likely a 29-2, it was his service revolver,Ade's was telling him, she would have ahard time selling it and offered $400, for the gun and leather, also at 500-700 rds of factory ammo they would be more than happy to dipose for him as he can't just throw them away... these have bills to pay, so they need to make money wherever possible...

A dealer typically will only pay 1/3 to 1/2 of the going price for a given firearm, unless he knows someone who will buy it readily. (Same with rare books, also.)

Omil
06-24-2011, 10:22 PM
Stockade's is only good for checking out items:D. That's it!

CK_32
06-24-2011, 11:16 PM
Stockade's is only good for checking out items:D. That's it!

+1. I was thinking of heading to them and field time just to fondle the guns they have it ordered and sent to or just get it at rifle gear :rolleyes:

Cant get any better than that. I think thats sig worthy. Someone if not everyone should sig that :D

MrPlink
06-25-2011, 2:33 AM
Good I hope they get caught up in some sh*t for it or take a loss

does not always work out that way. If they follow proper procedure with paperwork, taking ID, etc etc they wont catch anything for it, unless the seller admits to them (or they had prior knowledge) that the items were stolen, they will be protected by pawn broker rules.

Obviously, I cant say for sure in this case, as I wasnt there, but I spent several years dealing in off the street purchases, and 9 times out of 10 when you have a young guy selling old gear and either-or they want very little for it or dont know much about it, it is stolen.

Sanderhawk
06-25-2011, 5:40 AM
I believe Fowlers and Stockade are owned by the same people. I had asked Fowlers if they price matched and they wouldn`t do it either.

Rob454
06-25-2011, 6:59 AM

So if its got a cheap price tag it must be stolen?:confused: LOL The kid probably thought it was just some old rifle so it can't be worth much. No different than getting that "old" painting at a garage sale and finding out its a Rembrandt or some old item and finding out its worth 30K and you paid $5. When buying OR selling old stuff do some simple research to check its value.
Buyer and seller beware works both ways. It's nobody's job to protect you when you are selling OR buying something . Sure I've stepped in when someone is about to get royally screwed ( this older lady and gentleman that a auto repair shop was trying to screw over on some repairs and they were in front of me and the guy was telling them that they did work that on the car they had was impossible to do) but I usually keep my mouth shut and stay out of someones business deals..

I went to The Stockade one time in my life. It was when I was looking for a gun for my wife. The guy really did not look interested in helping us out AT ALL. he was fidgety, did not want to answer our questions and since my wife wanted to look at 3-4 guns that really must of been too much for him cause by the second one he was already getting pissed off. So at that point I just told him that he basically lost a sale on his overpriced gun which i would of bought even if it was overpriced. getting my wife to go into a gun store was literally a act of god. So he would of had a for sure sale if he wasn't that much of a d**khead. I have not stepped foot in that place since then. I do like going to Field Time. Ended up getting it at Turners cause at the time I did not know about Riflegear and Field Time was not around

Steve1968LS2
06-25-2011, 7:14 AM
sounds like some people around here.

Wow.. do you ever stop crying about people around here? Makes one wonder why you stick around. lol

As for the Topic I pretty much just pretend the Stockade isn't in business any longer.. crappy store.

socal44
06-25-2011, 7:28 AM
Sell, not sale

smle-man
06-25-2011, 7:32 AM
A gunshop isn't going to pay retail prices for something that they have to then turn around and resell. $400 for a run of the mill M1 rifle that they will resell for $800 makes sense. They're in business to make money not to give it away.

CK_32
06-25-2011, 7:52 AM
I believe Fowlers and Stockade are owned by the same people. I had asked Fowlers if they price matched and they wouldn`t do it either.

They are. Both run the same both suck the same

HK Dave
06-25-2011, 9:59 AM
Stockade is complete FAIL.

MrPlink
06-25-2011, 2:13 PM
So if its got a cheap price tag it must be stolen?:confused: LOL The kid probably thought it was just some old rifle so it can't be worth much. No different than getting that "old" painting at a garage sale and finding out its a Rembrandt or some old item and finding out its worth 30K and you paid $5. When buying OR selling old stuff do some simple research to check its value.

Not just that its cheap. Re-read my post. Not always the case as I said, but more often than not when the seller meets those criteria its def a red flag.

its completely different from a garage sale, in a retail environment the seller is seeking you out, not the other way around, which fosters a completely different dynamic.

Im not saying there arent honest to god good deals out there, more so than firearms my real passion is for vintage guitars, and I have quite a few pieces that given the amount of money I make on average makes no sense for me to own, its all thanks to those storybook opportunities.

But try working in any business that does street purchases, you will quickly see what I am saying.

yoitsbruce
06-25-2011, 3:03 PM
fieldtime has barely any guns. last time i was there they had only 5 1911's, inswear they had the
most amount xd's ive ever seen. the ar section is laughable at first, then upon closer inspection you realize that riflegear is really better. stockade n fowlers
prices might be higher but the amount of guns they have is impressive. i always haggle with them and they always throw me a box of pmc when i buy a firearm
from them. but field time does have arrows and it seems that the girls that do work there are
some how related to them. oh i have never been undersold by anyone before i was looking into a layaway for an eotech 522
but they kept on insisting on truglo red dot. who does that, ft does