PDA

View Full Version : CZ VZ58 7.62 rifle

949S_GP100
06-24-2011, 9:26 AM
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemDetail.aspx?sku=53563&utm_source=Weekly%2BEmail&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=FirearmSpotlight&utm_campaign=11-06-24EatNTool&utm_source=EmailDirect.com&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Camp+Stove+and+Sporks+Bulk+Priced+Cam paign

Does anyone have any range time with this rifle? Please share your experience.

Thank you

tujungatoes
06-24-2011, 10:24 AM
I shot a czechpoint vz58 a couple times. Nice gun. Milled receiver makes for a good solid feel, and dampens felt recoil some compared to a stamped receiver ak.

chicoredneck
06-24-2011, 10:25 AM
I've always thought vz58's were interesting rifles. I too am inteested in a range report. I wonder what their accuracy is like?

Farnsworth
06-24-2011, 10:37 AM
Never pushed my buddies but it hits 100 yard 12" gongs everytime you pull the trigger.

tujungatoes
06-24-2011, 10:59 AM
In my limited experience I thought it shot pretty much like an ak.

Z28
06-24-2011, 4:10 PM
If you get one try to get one manufactured by D-Technik. The manufacturer determines the quality ;)

wiki wiki
06-24-2011, 6:25 PM
I bought one from Czechpoint : http://www.czechpoint-usa.com/products/vz-58-rifles/sa-vz58-california-military/ Which may be a better deal than the cheaper than dirt offering, especially once you add in the FFL transfer fee.
I went with the military stocked version mainly because I liked the look better, but also because it has a 1" shorter length of pull when compared with the synthetic sporter stock.
To date I have about 1.5K rounds through it, it's functioning has been flawless. Shooting offhand with the iron sights and Wolf brand ammo, I typically get about 4.5" - 5" groups at 100 yards. The rifle is most likely capable of better accuracy, for me the AK type sights and trigger is a hinderance when it comes to accuracy since I'm more use to the AR platform plus I've only shot it at informal plinking settings. Compared to my friends AK or Saiga rifles, most of us agree the VZ58 seems to have slightly less felt recoil and muzzle rise, while accuracy appears to be about equal. I like being able to load with cheap SKS stripper clips instead of messing with the akward mag lock. When rapid shooting the barrel seems to heat up quicker than the AKs, almost like a Mini-14, but doesn't seem to string shots when hot like a Mini will.
Field stripping and cleaning is comparable with the AK, some differences with the striker design and takedown but overall it's fairly simple. While somewhat pricier than an AK, I like having a milled receiver and the compactness and light weight, plus it's something different than my friends "run of the mill" AKs.
Overall it's a well built, lightweight, and reliable rifle. It's also one of my favorite guns to shoot, right behind the AR and tied with the M1A.

1forall
06-25-2011, 1:14 AM
It's a very nice rifle. Solid, lower recoil, accurate, and fairly easy to clean. Mines has a issue with ftf(soon to be fixed by czechpoint) but it out-shoots my AK pass 100yds. I'm loving it so far.

SanPedroShooter
06-25-2011, 5:29 AM
Keep in mind that it takes proprietary mags and none of the main parts, if any, are interchangeable with your standard AKM.

That said, the Czech's design great weapons, it has milled receiver, and it looks cool. I would/will buy one eventually...:)

tujungatoes
06-25-2011, 6:42 AM
Not so much "proprietary", it just takes vz58 mags. And yes nothing will interchange with an AK because....it's not an ak.

SanPedroShooter
06-25-2011, 6:45 AM
Some people dont know that. It's also not made totally clear in ad. If someone thought they were getting an AK variant, I can see some confusion. The look, the caliber, the fact that they are constantly being compared to AK's could lead someone who didnt do their homework to think they were getting an AK variant.

But thats just my opinion, maybe it was obvious to everyone but me...

SanPedroShooter
06-25-2011, 7:06 AM
This a great video of the Vz set to Pavel's "Bolero"

7PqAk-qianA

It gets really good at 2:10

missiontrails
06-25-2011, 8:10 AM
I have the new CZ catalog... and the AK variants are not in there....

tjlayzer
06-25-2011, 8:30 AM
Cool video and very informative on how the VZ58 is different than the AK. Also great "3-D" shots of flying debris coming right at you.

PolishMike
06-25-2011, 8:33 AM
I have the new CZ catalog... and the AK variants are not in there....

They are not AK variants.

They are also no longer imported by CZ. They are imported by Czechpoint -
http://www.czechpoint-usa.com/

I have the military stocked ones in stock

smattenson
06-25-2011, 8:51 AM
The rest of the guys are right the vz58 is not an ak but a different animal. I picked up an ak first because of the availibilty of everything for an ak. But the vz58 is a joy to shoot. If you ever get down to rahagee's when they do that shooting fair czechpoint is usually down there and it's well worth it to try it out. Its a very nice gun.

NorCalK9.com
06-25-2011, 11:04 PM
I want one.

dshortone
06-26-2011, 10:46 AM
CZ actually got their examples from Czechpoint. Easier to just go straight to the source.

I love love love mine! It is my favorite semi-auto. My only complaint is that the barrel heats up a bit quickly (but it cools down fairly fast too!). Ever since adding the Troy fore end, it's easier to gauge how hot the barrel is getting, due to the fore end being metal. I'm seriously considering getting another one when the right deal presents itself.

There aren't a lot of accessories out there, but it's a slowly growing following. However, at this point, any basic accessory that you could think of, can be added in some form. I also purchased a parts kit ($180) from Apex for replacement parts, should the need ever arise.

Here's a picture of my vz.58:

http://i466.photobucket.com/albums/rr29/dshortone/DSCF0387.jpg

Hope you can join the growing ranks of vz owners. I'll leave my final thoughts as a quote from a former co-worker: "The vz.58 is everything the AK wishes it was."

smattenson
06-26-2011, 11:28 AM
That's a sweet vz58 man! I personally love both the ak and vz58....and ill tell you im getting really tempted to pick one up for my next gun.

Z28
06-26-2011, 12:09 PM
I ordered one from Czechpoint a few days ago with their receiver side rail and CSA short optic mount. I'm still waiting on the stupid 10 day cool off :( I can't wait for Friday so I can pick it up.

dshortone
06-26-2011, 3:13 PM
I ordered one from Czechpoint a few days ago with their receiver side rail and CSA short optic mount. I'm still waiting on the stupid 10 day cool off :( I can't wait for Friday so I can pick it up.

Did they ship the side rail installed? That's one of two things I'd like to change about my vz (or be a glutton and buy another one with the goods installed)!

Z28
06-26-2011, 9:06 PM
Did they ship the side rail installed? That's one of two things I'd like to change about my vz (or be a glutton and buy another one with the goods installed)!

Yes it did, I ordered it installed for $78 because I didn't want to take it to a guns smith to do the install. Its a great riffle, all the guys at the shop were drooling over it and telling me how beautiful the rifle is. I also want to change a few things on mine.

DNA
06-26-2011, 9:15 PM
This a great video of the Vz set to Pavel's "Bolero"

7PqAk-qianA

It gets really good at 2:10

That's one of the coolest videos I've seen made by a manufacturer, in fact if they made a 3d version, that'd be awesome.

Dam