PDA

View Full Version : Light primer strike on my AR, oh noez!

locosway
06-23-2011, 11:46 PM
Well, I had my first malfunction on my AR tonight. It was a light primer strike on PMC ammo. The gun has always run fine, so I don't know what the deal was. The primer wasn't set too deep, it looked fine, but the strike was just light. I checked the other spent brass and all the strikes were fine.

This was the first time out running the grease I'm using, so I might attribute it to that. I'll be moving over to Froglube the next time I clean it so I guess I'll just wait and see if it happens again.

760knox
06-23-2011, 11:47 PM
Pic of the strike?

locosway
06-23-2011, 11:52 PM
Pic of the strike?

Nah, I threw it aside... It was just a light strike, nothing special.

760knox
06-23-2011, 11:53 PM
eh, so everything else fired just a ok after

locosway
06-23-2011, 11:55 PM
eh, so everything else fired just a ok after

Yep, everything ran fine with the exception of one round.

760knox
06-24-2011, 12:02 AM
Yep, everything ran fine with the exception of one round.

oh well, it happens to everyone and everything. Did you load it back up and shoot it? :shifty:

r6raff
06-24-2011, 12:10 AM
Did you load it back up and fire it off? or toss it? I had a couple of those, also with PMC, single loaded them and all fired on the second strike.

locosway
06-24-2011, 12:11 AM
Did you load it back up and fire it off? or toss it? I had a couple of those, also with PMC, single loaded them and all fired on the second strike.

I just tossed it. I was trying to sight in my rifle and wasn't even thinking about trying it again.

NewbieDave
06-24-2011, 9:13 AM
It happens... mostly ammo. That's why we train malfunction drills ;o)

goodlookin1
06-24-2011, 9:16 AM
Do you have a lighter match grade trigger? If OEM, I didnt know regular 12lb pull triggers can have light primer strikes.....could just be a dead primer?

CHS
06-24-2011, 9:41 AM
Have you installed lightweight springs on the standard FCG? That can cause light primer strikes if you haven't chopped off the hammer "hook".

chicoredneck
06-24-2011, 10:19 AM
Sounds like either a dud round or that particular primer used thicker metal. If that was the only one you have nothing to worry about and it sounds like an issue with the ammo. If the problem continues with other ammo brands then you have reason for concern, but untill then, I wouldn't sweat it.

killshot44
06-24-2011, 10:30 AM
Don't get ANY lube on the firing pin or inside the bolt.

IPSICK
06-24-2011, 10:31 AM
Well, I had my first malfunction on my AR tonight. It was a light primer strike on PMC ammo. The gun has always run fine, so I don't know what the deal was. The primer wasn't set too deep, it looked fine, but the strike was just light. I checked the other spent brass and all the strikes were fine.

This was the first time out running the grease I'm using, so I might attribute it to that. I'll be moving over to Froglube the next time I clean it so I guess I'll just wait and see if it happens again.

Grease? Where? I don't like using grease in my AR because it tends to collect debris and powder which can affect function. If you have grease in the firing pin area or the trigger area, I could see it causing light strikes.

hnoppenberger
06-24-2011, 11:12 AM
ammo problem, obviously. everyone has heard of pmc stuff doing that. fine for shooting, run lake city for srs business