PDA

View Full Version : Patrol Car guns

erik_26
06-23-2011, 9:11 PM
Who cleans and maintains the shotgun and/or rifle in the patrol cars? I had one LEO I know say that no one does and that they have issues often.

Samuelx
06-23-2011, 9:17 PM
Depends on the department/agency.

solanoshooter
06-23-2011, 10:04 PM
Armorers inspect them once a year. And the armorers are supposed to clean them after they been fired in training. We're good about the inspections, they're tracked. Cleaning after training happens most of the time.

WILDMAN442
06-23-2011, 10:07 PM
Were a small agency.

Each guy has an issued AR and the shotguns are first come first serve.

I clean my AR once every few weeks. Just to make sure its functioning and lubed.

The shotguns only every month or so. They're 870's and have proven to be very reliable.

Justin

WILDMAN442
06-23-2011, 10:07 PM
Were a small agency.

Each guy has an issued AR and the shotguns are first come first serve.

I clean my AR once every few weeks. Just to make sure its functioning and lubed.

The shotguns only every month or so. They're 870's and have proven to be very reliable.

Justin

Helpful_Cub
06-23-2011, 10:11 PM
I was doing a ride along with an LA Deputy and I had to resist the urge to start cleaning the car. It was filthy and I'm guessing they don't get cleaned often. If the car looks like that, it wouldn't surprise me if the guns are rarely touch, if at all.

hitman13
06-23-2011, 10:16 PM
Where I work at in AZ we have take home cars / trucks, and issued guns. It's up to each LEO to maintain his duty gear and firearms (pistol, 870, AR).

emvampyre
06-23-2011, 10:18 PM
I was doing a ride along with an LA Deputy and I had to resist the urge to start cleaning the car. It was filthy and I'm guessing they don't get cleaned often. If the car looks like that, it wouldn't surprise me if the guns are rarely touch, if at all.

Yeah, our cars (LASD) are cleaned by trustees (read:inmates) and only when that vehicle is not in service. Most of our radio cars run 3 shifts per day, 24 hours a day. They rarely come off the line in any order or routine.

Each station has a deputy and a sergeant who's collateral duty is to maintain the armory. That includes ordering ammo, and supplies as well as the up keep for all of those weapons. So....that means most weapons are not maintained as well as they should be. At the stations I worked, I was the armory deputy, and I did my best to keep the weapons lubed and functional. It's a tough job and could only be done when my other shift duties allowed.

On the up side, the department sent me to several "line level" armorer classes, including a 3 day Beretta course, a 2 day AR-15 course, and an 8 hour Remington 870 course. So now I can fix my own personal weapons!

fullrearview
06-23-2011, 10:51 PM
Issued patrol rig and weapons... I maintain.

Roddd
06-24-2011, 9:39 AM
At my agency, SWAT handles maintenance of the shotguns. ARs are our personal ones and we are responsible for cleaning them.

1911su16b870
06-24-2011, 10:38 AM
The departments range staff (armorers) would clean the department guns. Personal guns is on you to clean and maintain.

jason514
06-24-2011, 11:05 AM
Where I work, we are issued our shotguns. It is our responsibility to keep them clean and in working order. Once a year they go to the armory for cleaning/inspection. I don't know anyone who has had any reliability issues with them.

BigDogatPlay
06-24-2011, 5:52 PM
I cleaned and maintained the agency long guns at my last department, largely because no one else wanted to and I'm the "gun guy". But it was in policy that it was the responsibility of the officer taking possession of an issued weapon, like any other agency property, to personally inspect it at the start of the shift and be satisfied that it was in good working order.

Triad
06-24-2011, 5:58 PM
I maintain my own weapons. I am issued a take home vehicle as well which I am anal about keeping clean too.

In fact at our yearly weapon inspection (armorer's break down) if your weapon is clean the rangemaster has been known to put laudatory remarks in peoples personnel files.

Ron-Solo
06-24-2011, 11:35 PM
When I was the armory sergeant at one of the stations I worked, I oversaw 125 shotguns and 4 AR-15s. I would break down easch AR monthly myself. Explorers would come in and clean the shotguns and bring them to me for inspection when done. Thet did an exceptional job cleaning them and did better than 90% of the deputies. They were test fired every year. These were Ithica model 37s and were bullet proof guns. My old department is switching to 870s but I don't have much experience with them. Until the day I retired, I took a model 37 with me.