PDA

View Full Version : Duty shotgun question

Triad
06-23-2011, 6:50 PM
Are any of you guys authorized to use semi-auto shotguns?

Our policy was just widened from ONLY an 870 to any semi automatic.

I have an 11-87 in my safe. Do any of you guys use the 11-87? Recommend it?

Falconis
06-23-2011, 7:14 PM
I wish. we're still with the 870's. On the bright side, a lot of our shotguns got upgraded with a aftermarket stock and ghost ring sights and we started using either the hornady or federal tactical loads that make the shot dispersion pattern look almost like one big hole. Still a lot of punch and a lot less kick.

hitman13
06-23-2011, 7:15 PM
we use 870s exclusively but they are looking to mod our policy to allow personal SA if the armorer signs off on it and you demonstrate proficency...

biochembruin
06-23-2011, 8:28 PM
We are allowed to use Benelli M4's and some units have Benelli M1's. Shotguns from the kit room are all 870's. The M4's work flawlessly with our low recoil buckshot and slug rounds.

ckim34
06-23-2011, 9:05 PM
we are allowed to use semi auto shot guns but only one guy has taken advantage of it and is using an M4

solanoshooter
06-23-2011, 9:58 PM
We only use shotguns for less lethal. They are all 870s.

emvampyre
06-23-2011, 10:22 PM
Hell, "we" (LASD) just upgraded from Ithaca M37's to 870's. Would love a program like LAPD's where individual deputies could take a course and qualify with the Benelli for duty use. But that ain't never gonna happen!

Notorious
06-24-2011, 9:43 PM
Are you guys selling off the Ithacas? I would love to get my hands on a bump-fire Ithaca with bottom ejection!

In other news, no semi-auto shotgun here. The 11-87 is a beautiful gun. I fired it a few times before but I own a Mossberg 930SPX.

emvampyre
06-24-2011, 10:52 PM
Are you guys selling off the Ithacas? I would love to get my hands on a bump-fire Ithaca with bottom ejection!

Stand in line brother! You and 10,000 deputies both retired and still 10-8 are just waiting for the word on that. I've been told "we" will be selling them sometime in the "near" future.

I have personally seen a number of brand "new" 37's still in factory marked packing paper and shipping grease stacked in a secure vault. I'm just waiting patiently!!!!

Ron-Solo
06-24-2011, 11:26 PM
Stand in line brother! You and 10,000 deputies both retired and still 10-8 are just waiting for the word on that. I've been told "we" will be selling them sometime in the "near" future.

I have personally seen a number of brand "new" 37's still in factory marked packing paper and shipping grease stacked in a secure vault. I'm just waiting patiently!!!!

Any that were ever NFA guns will not be sold. I think they should go by lowest employee number, with us retired guys going first. :) I should be ok with a 004*** employee number.

Vampyre, welcome to CalGuns.

Ron,

LASD Retired 1978-2011

emvampyre
06-24-2011, 11:32 PM
Any that were ever NFA guns will not be sold. I think they should go by lowest employee number, with us retired guys going first. :) I should be ok with a 004*** employee number.

Vampyre, welcome to CalGuns.

Ron,

LASD Retired 1978-2011

Thanks Ron!

Yeah, a good friend has spent the last 2 years going through all of the paperwork determining which boomers were originally 14" guns and trying to find them. As you know, barrels floated all around the county. Many NFA guns are know carrying 18" tubes. I only WISH this was the only thing slowing down sales of these guns to department members, past and present. I'll let you determine for yourself the other hurdles....

I guess it's only fair to let you old farts first pick of the good stuff! At just over 20 years on, I still should be able to get a decent shooter if we do the employee number route!

Notorious
06-25-2011, 10:24 AM
I think they should go the outside employees first who don't work for the County to avoid any appearance of impropriety for conflict of interest!

Pinned my badge on in late 1995, so I should be okay too if we go the PROPER route!:43:

BigDogatPlay
06-25-2011, 1:17 PM
Novato PD, in Marin County, put out Benelli semi-autos in their cars beginning in the 1990's, IIRC. They were the first I can remember locally that did. Not sure what they are putting out now.

SFPD is issuing semi-auto shotguns to their designated marksmen. Not sure of brand.

Notorious
06-25-2011, 1:55 PM
Novato PD, in Marin County, put out Benelli semi-autos in their cars beginning in the 1990's, IIRC. They were the first I can remember locally that did. Not sure what they are putting out now.

SFPD is issuing semi-auto shotguns to their designated marksmen. Not sure of brand.

Something sounds kind of weird with issuing shotguns of any type to designated marksmen, aka snipers....

Triad
06-25-2011, 2:21 PM
I went and bought an 870 in case the 11-87 doesn't work out.

1911su16b870
06-25-2011, 10:20 PM
I have two of the old 66-67 CHP wingmasters...I love those old 870s.

My personal M4 rocks, but will not cycle the low-recoil stuff. I wonder how they make the M4 work with those low-recoil loads?

We had M2s as duty guns but transitioned back to 870s.

biochembruin
06-25-2011, 10:29 PM
I have two of the old 66-67 CHP wingmasters...I love those old 870s.

My personal M4 rocks, but will not cycle the low-recoil stuff. I wonder how they make the M4 work with those low-recoil loads?

We had M2s as duty guns but transitioned back to 870s.

How old is your M4? Ours regularly have problems with bird shot when new, but after putting about 100 rounds of full power buck or slug through the gun, they will cycle pretty much anything. I think it's one of the few guns that needs a legitimate break-in period.

BigDogatPlay
06-26-2011, 10:04 AM
Something sounds kind of weird with issuing shotguns of any type to designated marksmen, aka snipers....

Except thats not what SFPD's use of them is. Not as I understand it anyway.

The officers, there are supposed to be at least one or two on duty in a company at all times, get heavier firepower to take out with them, both in terms of arms and ammo. They don't take the place of SWAT and snipers. They are patrol resources who can respond with firepower somewhat above that of the regular radio car crews.

And, FWIW, the current designated marksmen billets in infantry units in both Army and USMC are not snipers. Their role is the intermediate distances between where the soldier with an M4 loses effectivty and a sniper with a dedicated weapons system takes over. The military DM's are using,to great extent and good effect, re-manufactured M14s.

Notorious
06-26-2011, 9:16 PM
Except thats not what SFPD's use of them is. Not as I understand it anyway.

The officers, there are supposed to be at least one or two on duty in a company at all times, get heavier firepower to take out with them, both in terms of arms and ammo. They don't take the place of SWAT and snipers. They are patrol resources who can respond with firepower somewhat above that of the regular radio car crews.

And, FWIW, the current designated marksmen billets in infantry units in both Army and USMC are not snipers. Their role is the intermediate distances between where the soldier with an M4 loses effectivty and a sniper with a dedicated weapons system takes over. The military DM's are using,to great extent and good effect, re-manufactured M14s.

Irvine PD calls their concept, the "PRO" or Primary Response Officer. They are patrol guys with extra training, ballistics shields, carbines, external armor and some other doodads that is not yet SWAT but more than patrol. They are on every shift so they always have that intermediate response level available without having to wait for SWAT.

I know of the military designation as well due to the intermediate engagements they are facing in the current theatres of deployment where the average infantry M4 might be lacking but you don't need the extra long range capability of snipers. I think the M14 with a good optic is one of the most awesome individual weapons you can field.

It just sounds weird to call someone a designated marksman but give them a shotgun. Maybe if you called them breachers or assault troops or storm troopers? That's what a shotgun conjures up more.

Patrick Aherne
06-26-2011, 10:53 PM
SFPD had Beretta 1201FPs when they transitioned to 96g Centurians. They sucked for duty use. The sights broke and no one maintained them. They have switched back to 870's and now have pool patrol rifles. I don't work for them, but my brother does.

Triad
06-26-2011, 10:55 PM
I feel like if I stay on top of the gas ports and keep them clean, the 11-87 will treat me well.

I have a couple 1100's and if I neglect to clean them after running them heavy the gas ports are the first thing that give me fits.

BigDogatPlay
06-27-2011, 7:35 PM
I feel like if I stay on top of the gas ports and keep them clean, the 11-87 will treat me well.

I have a couple 1100's and if I neglect to clean them after running them heavy the gas ports are the first thing that give me fits.

It might be worthwhile for you to drop a PM or an e-mail to aippi in the shotgun forum. He builds custom LE and tactical 870's for a living and has shared some good knowledge on the 11-87P as well over time.

And FWIW the 1100s I've owned have always benefited from keeping the gas ports scrupulously clean and the O ring fresh.

jerkyg
06-29-2011, 4:14 AM
I bought an 870 because it would be abused and used...and still shot fine. Been shooting it duck hunting for over 25 yrs...no malfunction. If it isn't broke...why fix it?

Stay safe...