PDA

View Full Version : My pmag wont fit in my AR-15

ICONIC
06-23-2011, 1:21 PM
So I decided to drink the magpul kool aid and get a few pmags for 10/30 rebuild kits. So after conversion i tested the mags and they fit and locked into place just fine. Then I put ten rounds into the mags and now the mags wont lock into place.

Has anyone had any expierences like this. If so what did you do to remedy it?

KWB977
06-23-2011, 1:31 PM
I had this issue too...... it was like pushing out the top of the mag making it larger so it did not seat. I had to reload my mags, and was carefull when I loaded them and it fixed the issue.

Droppin Deuces
06-23-2011, 1:33 PM
Lock the bolt back then insert the mag. Why would you put a mag in on a closed bolt, anyway?

pyro3k2
06-23-2011, 1:36 PM
Perfectly normal issue. The tenth round doesn't have enough room to compress in the mag, there is no where for it to go and two objects can not occupy the same space at the same time. If you loaded it to 9 rounds you will find that the mags will work. If you want to keep them at 10 rounds simple lock the bolt to the rear and they will work.

Reductio
06-23-2011, 1:56 PM
Perfectly normal issue. The tenth round doesn't have enough room to compress in the mag, there is no where for it to go and two objects can not occupy the same space at the same time. If you loaded it to 9 rounds you will find that the mags will work. If you want to keep them at 10 rounds simple lock the bolt to the rear and they will work.

This.

All it means is that the block is just a little too high, which is to prevent an 11th round from fitting, and making some legal problems.

nick562
06-23-2011, 2:00 PM
Cut about 1/3 off the mag spring and it will work perfect

zfields
06-23-2011, 2:49 PM
will they lock in with 9?

thetaxman
06-23-2011, 4:20 PM
Lock the bolt back then insert the mag. Why would you put a mag in on a closed bolt, anyway?

Because its loaded?

THT
06-23-2011, 5:30 PM
Because its loaded?

Tactical reload is one of the few times you'll load against a closed bolt. Yes, PMAGs have enough room to fit 31 rounds however alot of people, myself included, download them to 28 anyway. Even with a full 30, you may or may not fight the rifle/mag when tac loading on a full 30rd PMAG.

Brown Rock
06-23-2011, 5:33 PM
I had the same problem with my c products mag. Then I got this advice
Slap that magazine into place... Don't be shy about it - unless you want to watch it hit the ground as you try to chamber a round of nothing...

Slap that ***** in there.:D

THT
06-23-2011, 5:36 PM
A slap may work however please keep mind that doing so can induce a double feed (type three) failure. The preferred method is to push the mag in and pull on it (push/pull) to verify it's locked in place.

Brown Rock
06-23-2011, 5:41 PM
A slap may work however please keep mind that doing so can induce a double feed (type three) failure. The preferred method is to push the mag in and pull on it (push/pull) to verify it's locked in place.

Interesting i'll keep that in mind. I don't actually slap my mag in, I push on it until I hear it click.

The Virus
06-23-2011, 6:22 PM
spit out the kool-aid.
I will buy them off you, cheap......

ICONIC
06-23-2011, 10:08 PM
Thanks for your help guys. I finally got it to load with an open bolt. But if i only use 9 rounds it will load with a closed bolt. Either way it works now and i will be hanging on to my pmags.

pyro3k2
06-23-2011, 11:31 PM
Thanks for your help guys. I finally got it to load with an open bolt. But if i only use 9 rounds it will load with a closed bolt. Either way it works now and i will be hanging on to my pmags.

This issue is solely with Pmags, every mag on the market will do this.

missiontrails
06-24-2011, 9:03 AM

^^^ this ^^^

Noonanda
06-24-2011, 9:19 AM

If I am going from a Condition 4 weapon to Condition 1 why would I lock the bolt to the rear before inserting the magazine? Not going to lock the bolt to the rear first when I can rack it after the magazine is inserted.

And why would the bolt be forward? Because every applicable weapon condition for the M-16/AR-15 Family of rifles is based on the bolt being forward.

killshot44
06-24-2011, 11:42 AM
The point is
You have to rack it at some point! Why not rack, insert the loaded mag and then send it home?

Seriously............

killshot44
06-24-2011, 11:45 AM
Of course, if you're rifle is operating properly, the bolt is going to be held open after you fired the last round of the previous magazine.

Get real.

Noonanda
06-24-2011, 12:55 PM
The point is
You have to rack it at some point! Why not rack, insert the loaded mag and then send it home?

Seriously............

You are adding another step/action to loading the rifle, you have to depress the bolt catch, then rack it to lock the bolt open. I can load a magazine and then just rack it in one step as the cycle of operations (minus the Firing/extracting and ejecting)was designed to work. But if it works for you rock out.

Of course, if you're rifle is operating properly, the bolt is going to be held open after you fired the last round of the previous magazine.

Get real.

Yes if you just got done shooting the bolt locks to the rear, but that was not the question, nor was that the problem as stated.

Dont know if the "seriously" and "get real" comments are anger or sarcasm so I will just post the steps to take the M-16 Series rifle from condition 4 to condition 1

Execute "LOAD" taking the weapon from condition 4 to condition 3.
a. Ensure the weapon is in condition 4.
b. Withdraw the magazine from the magazine pouch.
c. Ensure the magazine is filled.
d. Fully insert magazine in the magazine well.
e. Tug downward on the magazine to ensure that it is held into the rifle by the magazine catch.
f. Close the magazine pouch.
g. Close the ejection port cover.

2. Execute "MAKE READY," taking the weapon from condition 3 to condition 1.
a. Pull the charging handle fully to the rear and release.
b. Check sights.
c. Close ejection port cover (if time and situation permit).

NOTE: To ensure that ammunition has been chambered, pull the charging handle slightly to the rear and visually inspect the chamber. (You may tap the forward assist to ensure the bolt closes after inspecting the chamber.)

CAUTION: Pulling the charging handle too far to the rear when inspecting the chamber may cause a double feed or ejection of one round of ammunition.

Have a nice Day:)

thetaxman
06-24-2011, 1:56 PM
You are adding another step/action to loading the rifle, you have to depress the bolt catch, then rack it to lock the bolt open. I can load a magazine and then just rack it in one step as the cycle of operations (minus the Firing/extracting and ejecting)was designed to work. But if it works for you rock out.

Yes if you just got done shooting the bolt locks to the rear, but that was not the question, nor was that the problem as stated.

Dont know if the "seriously" and "get real" comments are anger or sarcasm so I will just post the steps to take the M-16 Series rifle from condition 4 to condition 1

e. Tug downward on the magazine to ensure that it is held into the rifle by the magazine catch.

b. Check sights.

NOTE: To ensure that ammunition has been chambered, pull the charging handle slightly to the rear and visually inspect the chamber. (You may tap the forward assist to ensure the bolt closes after inspecting the chamber.)CAUTION: Pulling the charging handle too far to the rear when inspecting the chamber may cause a double feed or ejection of one round of ammunition.

Have a nice Day:)

:iagree: Except for the highlighted red part.

Prior to inserting the new magazine, visually or physically determine which side of the magazine the top round is - left or right. I would not press check an AR, but simply remove the magazine after charging it and again visually and physically confirm the top round is now on the opposite side. The round could only have gone one place.

You can't visually see the chambered round at night and we don't shine lights into the weapon. As such the method above will always ensure that a round has chambered without the need to visually inspect the weapon and removes the risk of the double feed.

luckystrike
06-24-2011, 2:01 PM

reload......

Noonanda
06-24-2011, 2:26 PM
:iagree: Except for the highlighted red part.

Prior to inserting the new magazine, visually or physically determine which side of the magazine the top round is - left or right. I would not press check an AR, but simply remove the magazine after charging it and again visually and physically confirm the top round is now on the opposite side. The round could only have gone one place.

You can't visually see the chambered round at night and we don't shine lights into the weapon. As such the method above will always ensure that a round has chambered without the need to visually inspect the weapon and removes the risk of the double feed.

I like that idea and have never heard that one before, but wonder if in the heat of the moment you might not think to do this. I Brass check during daylight and that is what we always teach/ are taught. Night time your method would definately work, but would need to be a muscle memory thing and would need to be contantly practiced.

At night I have had to TRB (tap, Rack, Bang) due to mag not being fully seated, but I was also switching from a full tracer mag to a 4-1 mag in the middle of a gunfight. So I immediately TRB'ed and got back into the fight.

killshot44
06-24-2011, 2:41 PM
I will just post the steps to take the M-16 Series rifle from condition 4 to condition 1

b. Check sights.

Sorry, I completely forgot about all the high-level operators needing to do tactical reloads.
:rofl2:

CK_32
06-24-2011, 2:54 PM

+1 never happened to me but this would make the most sence

Noonanda
06-24-2011, 3:11 PM
Sorry, I completely forgot about all the high-level operators needing to do tactical reloads.
:rofl2:

Again dont know what your angle is, trolling or trying to pick a fight or something else. Never said I was an "operator", never will claim to be. Just a Jarhead thats been playing with the M-16 series rifle for the last 18 years (2 years to retirement baby :) ) I also dont have a cool or clever screen name referencing killing or shooting so I could never be an operator:rolleyes:

Arnelcheeze
06-24-2011, 5:29 PM
just one of those things you have to deal with when dealing with the limited magazines, since it is so evil to have more than 10 rounds there is no room to slam the mag in if the bolt is closed, works fine on the unmodified pmags when you give it a good wack, not that i have any high caps, im just sayin...