PDA

View Full Version : my first FAL finally home. 06-26-11 range report

seronian
06-23-2011, 12:11 PM
she's a DSA SA58 tactical carbine sporting the AIMpoint PRO on a DSA scope mount...

http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a458/seronian/dsasa58.jpg

http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a458/seronian/dsasa581.jpg

http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a458/seronian/dsasa582.jpg

http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a458/seronian/dsasa583.jpg

bighead
06-23-2011, 1:13 PM
Beautiful

evidens83
06-23-2011, 1:13 PM
Gorgeous!

rareair
06-23-2011, 2:09 PM
Liking the fluted barrel :thumbsup:

mdhpper
06-23-2011, 2:10 PM
Good choice.

ZX-10R
06-23-2011, 2:12 PM
Beautiful rifle.

tacticalcity
06-23-2011, 2:13 PM
Nice! What I like about FAL is that I they always feel lighter than they look to me. Most .308 rifles are heavy as a tank. The FAL doesn't. It does make it so much easier to carry it all day long.

Ls1FALimpala
06-23-2011, 2:20 PM
shes a beaut!!!! you will have no regrets!!!

dellgsg5
06-23-2011, 2:31 PM
Very nice!!!

hchan42
06-23-2011, 2:36 PM
your FN FAL looks eeefffin aaawwwweeesssoommmeee!!! how much if you don't mind me asking??

Cruznegao
06-23-2011, 2:41 PM
Terrible... Ugly... Worst gun ever... Why would someone want "THAT"...

This is the mantra that I keep repeating to myself to keep me from spending hours looking at FALs and jealousy at bay...

motorwerks
06-23-2011, 3:29 PM
this is the first time I've caught myself thinking.... Hmmmm..... FAL's are kind of interesting. Whats it take to build/buy one of those. I've never seen one ANYPLACE in person.

seronian
06-23-2011, 4:02 PM
Thanks brutha's. So is it to scope or not to scope, just mounted the aimpoint for the hell of it. Any recommendations for bench use.

Sicarius
06-23-2011, 6:15 PM
The problem with the fal and a scope is that the rear sight really gets in the way. Idealy you would have the scope as low to the rifle as possible. that means you will likely have to mount the scope so it is in front of the rear sight. You will have to find a scope that will give you enough eye relief. Otherwise you are going to have to get some high rings for it...
Kevin

rorschach
06-23-2011, 6:18 PM
FALs are awesome rifles, you'll have a lot of fun with that.

Feeding it can be expensive though...

Richard Erichsen
06-23-2011, 7:13 PM
she's a DSA SA58 tactical carbine sporting the AIMpoint PRO on a DSA scope mount...

Nice weapon - I like the barrel flutes and the finish is pretty good. Please post you first range report, pretty is one thing, but can she shoot?

R

Richard Erichsen
06-23-2011, 7:19 PM
The problem with the fal and a scope is that the rear sight really gets in the way. Idealy you would have the scope as low to the rifle as possible. that means you will likely have to mount the scope so it is in front of the rear sight. You will have to find a scope that will give you enough eye relief. Otherwise you are going to have to get some high rings for it...
Kevin

There are a dearth of aftermarket sights for the FAL, but there are at least a couple choices that are a bit lower and/or flip down to get out of the way. If it really gets in the way, take the slotted screw out on one side and a brass drift and mallet and out it goes. Of course, if you go that far, the front sight isn't too useful either. DSA make a picatinny top gas block so you can mount BUIS type flip up sights that get the heck out of the way. The mount (DSA Extreme Duty top cover/picatinny scope mount) will mount whatever rings you want to use, extra low profile may require these modifications, but the low and medium height rings should allow clearance above the sights. High rings allow you to see under the optic to use the sights, but that's all on how you plan to use it.

R

tiger222
06-23-2011, 8:58 PM
Kevin

Buy a L1A1 rear flip sight, shorten it, and redrill the hole for a 50m/200m battle zero and you are set.
to the OP, NICE RIFLE mate!

smle-man
06-24-2011, 10:49 AM
I had to put a muzzle brake on mine because the recoil was beating me up too much from the bench. Shooting off the bench isn't too bad. Yours looks great!

Scott Connors
06-24-2011, 11:39 AM
I had to put a muzzle brake on mine because the recoil was beating me up too much from the bench. Shooting off the bench isn't too bad. Yours looks great!

Have you tried adjusting the gas system? The FAL was designed when ammunition standards were rather loose, so that even supposedly "Nato" 7.62mm, often manufactured by 3rd World countries, could be either underpowered or overpowered, which in turn caused interruptions in the firing cycle.

From http://tfrwiki.midworld.co.uk/wiki/index.php/FN-FAL_Gas_system_Adjustment

"With a magazine with a good follower that will dependably operate the bolt hold-open, load one round. Start with your gas plug at its highest setting. Depending on your plug, that's going to be "6" or "12." Fire the round.

"The bolt shouldn't move, and the round won't be ejected. Start moving your plug down two clicks (to "5" or "10") and repeat. Once you find a setting that gets the round eject but will not engage the bolt hold-open, add one click. Load two rounds into the magazine. The second round should chamber and the hold-open should engage. If not, add one click and repeat.

"Once rounds feed and the hold-open engages, you're done. [For a little bit of safety margin, you might want to go back one click.] Remember: work from the highest setting to the lowest.

"If you're at the lowest setting and a round still hasn't ejected, rotate your gas plug 180 degrees and start over; you probably had the plug in "grenade" mode."

Sometimes the gas plug isn't numbered, but you can usually visualize the relative sizes of the ports on each plug.

I used to own a Springfield SAR-48 (and I miss it, best rifle I ever owned), and once I had the gas system tuned to the ammo I was firing it had only a little more recoil than my AR HBAR

smle-man
06-24-2011, 12:36 PM
Have you tried adjusting the gas system?

Yes, I've been shooting FNs since I owned an FN49 in the early 70s, got the gas system adjustment thing down pat. I adjusted the gas system down until the cases were just dropping out of the rifle and still the recoil is a bit strong in this carbine. The lower is aluminum and with the plastic furniture the carbine is pretty darn light. For carrying all day and shooting sometimes I can't think of a better weapon but for hours long bench sessions it can be pretty tough. The muzzle brake helped but it sure is noisy even with plugs and muffs. I am an 'experienced' shooter (i.e. 57 years old) so maybe recoil is more of a factor now for me than when I was 25.

seronian
06-24-2011, 2:09 PM
Is there a standard setting I can use on the gas adjustment? Right now she's set at 2 will be using some American eagle 150.

762.DEFENSE
06-24-2011, 3:53 PM
:thumbsup:

17+1
06-24-2011, 4:40 PM
Liking the fluted barrel :thumbsup:

Me too. I usually hate the look of fluted barrels but this thing pulls it off.

Arnelcheeze
06-24-2011, 5:04 PM
sick man, always been a fan of the FAL.

Bikertrash
06-24-2011, 5:20 PM
Kevin I just removed the rear sight on mine (2 screws and slid right off) then mounted my Bushnell 3200 10x40 with a set of medium rings. Works great except i cant use the carry handle anymore.

TURBOELKY
06-24-2011, 5:24 PM
Dang, I really like that fluted barre. I want to put a scope on mine, we'll see.
Good buy man!

Scott Connors
06-24-2011, 7:01 PM
Yes, I've been shooting FNs since I owned an FN49 in the early 70s, got the gas system adjustment thing down pat. I adjusted the gas system down until the cases were just dropping out of the rifle and still the recoil is a bit strong in this carbine. The lower is aluminum and with the plastic furniture the carbine is pretty darn light. For carrying all day and shooting sometimes I can't think of a better weapon but for hours long bench sessions it can be pretty tough. The muzzle brake helped but it sure is noisy even with plugs and muffs. I am an 'experienced' shooter (i.e. 57 years old) so maybe recoil is more of a factor now for me than when I was 25.

You might be surprised at how many FAL shooters, even ex-mil who were issued it, don't know about adjusting the gas system. I guess that increased recoil is the price you pay to get a light-weight rifle firing a full-power cartridge. I haven't fired a .308 since I broke my proximal humerus at the ball joint of my right shoulder, so I don't know if I could handle it. I was thinking about building a FAL, but now I'm worried that the recoil might be too much for my own now-aged (54) condition.

smle-man
06-24-2011, 7:33 PM
You might be surprised at how many FAL shooters, even ex-mil who were issued it, don't know about adjusting the gas system. I guess that increased recoil is the price you pay to get a light-weight rifle firing a full-power cartridge. I haven't fired a .308 since I broke my proximal humerus at the ball joint of my right shoulder, so I don't know if I could handle it. I was thinking about building a FAL, but now I'm worried that the recoil might be too much for my own now-aged (54) condition.

A standard weight and length FAL isn't a problem for me and I have a screwed up shoulder with an impingement in the socket (ain't hold age hell?). I use a shooting jacket with an attached shoulder pad that helps spread the recoil and that helps with the kick. I recently sold an Entreprise FAL that had a six port muzzle brake that was really effective as is the brake on my M1A. I put a Wilson brake on the DSA carbine. It is made for an AR15 so I drilled the muzzle end out to 10mm for positive clearance for the exiting bullet. The barrel on the tactical carbine is threaded for AR15 muzzle accessories for some reason - FAL brakes won't thread up. I recently broke my collar bone on my shooting side and haven't been shooting big boomers yet but hope to soon.

straykiller
06-24-2011, 9:34 PM
beautiful

chino
06-25-2011, 9:58 AM
Is there a standard setting I can use on the gas adjustment? Right now she's set at 2 will be using some American eagle 150.

Sorry no standard setting, too many variables. Follow Scott Connors recommendatiosn for optimum gas setting.
When a FAL doesn't receive enough gas, the rifle will not eject and the bolt may be difficult to retract (rifle just chambered a fired/expanded case) you may have to perform a "pogo technique"
Pogo = pulling back on charging handle while striking the butt of the rifle on the ground at the same time.

Caution, FALs reproduce by themselves when placed inside a safe.

jyo
06-25-2011, 10:12 AM
EVERYBODY should have an FAL---certainly one of the finest rifles ever made---yours looks like a good one---enjoy!

seronian
06-25-2011, 10:49 AM
Thanks all. Range report tomorrow.

manuelcardenas77
06-25-2011, 10:57 AM
:Ivan:

Scott Connors
06-25-2011, 12:26 PM
A standard weight and length FAL isn't a problem for me and I have a screwed up shoulder with an impingement in the socket (ain't hold age hell?). I use a shooting jacket with an attached shoulder pad that helps spread the recoil and that helps with the kick. I recently sold an Entreprise FAL that had a six port muzzle brake that was really effective as is the brake on my M1A. I put a Wilson brake on the DSA carbine. It is made for an AR15 so I drilled the muzzle end out to 10mm for positive clearance for the exiting bullet. The barrel on the tactical carbine is threaded for AR15 muzzle accessories for some reason - FAL brakes won't thread up. I recently broke my collar bone on my shooting side and haven't been shooting big boomers yet but hope to soon.

Cool :) --there's life after an ORIF after all! (ORIF=Open Reduction with Internal Fixation, ie I've got a plate and screws in my shoulder.)