PDA

View Full Version : SS vs. chrome lined barrels?

CJSdrftFlat
06-23-2011, 9:58 AM
Hey everybody, I was wondering what is better out of these is the better barrel.
Stainless Steel or Chrome lined.

Thanks

707electrician
06-23-2011, 10:11 AM
Stainless is more accurate but doesn't last as long I believe

sacshooter1
06-23-2011, 10:18 AM
Chrome lined is generally a bit less accurate because you just can't deposit the chrome lining evenly in the entire barrel. Chrome lined also lasts longer, is easier to clean, and holds up better to hard use. It really depends on what you are gonna be using the rifle for.

chicoredneck
06-23-2011, 10:19 AM
Barrel quality depends more on the manufacturer than the type. Chrome lined barrels tend to be a little less accurate because it is hard to get an even plating inside the barrel. That being said most of the modern chrome lined barrels will shoot very well. My personal AR with a chrome lined barrel will shoot sub MOA. Chromed barrels/chambers will clean easier and will last a little longer before the chamber/bore start to erode from firing and they also offer better corrosion resistance than either the SS or standar chrommoly barrels.

SS barrels are easier to cut because the metal is softer and offer a certain amount of corrosion protection. Because of the ease of tooling SS barrels they are often very accurate, however because the metal is softer than other barrel types they tend to wear out a little quicker. I have also seen SS barrels shoot poorly due to poor manufacturing. So, again, the manufacturer determins the quality of the barrel more so than the type of metal used.

RONIN.
06-23-2011, 10:25 AM
if you want a match weapon, get the stainless steel barrel.. if you want to put alot of rounds down range, then the chrome lined is the way to go..

the stainless barrels are known for being more accurate. but honestly, if you using off the self plinking ammo to shoot. the stainless / chrome lined thing is all in vain.. now if you goign to spend the coin, to get match ammo the stainless will have a slight edge over the chrome lined barrel.. but for most shooters that go out and just want to plink, a chrome lined barrel is the way to go, as they will last thousands and thousands of rounds.. as i said in the barrel life thread, my training carbine, has 25k down the tube.. a DD middy.. and has no accuracy loss.. there are weapons in the us inventory that have 35k down the tube.. and still out being used..

ronin.

xrMike
06-23-2011, 11:00 AM
My personal AR with a chrome lined barrel will shoot sub MOA.Who made your upper, or specifically, the barrel in it? (I'm looking for a chrome-lined carbine upper, but don't want to sacrifice too much in accuracy.) Thanks.

Dhena81
06-23-2011, 11:08 AM
Noveske claims his CL barrels are more accurate than some SS barrel manufactures who know though I haven't owned enough different barrels to tell you weather or not that claim is true.

RONIN.
06-23-2011, 11:11 AM
well my DD (daniel defense) will shoot moa with the lake city, pmc x-tac, if i do my part.. when i made the post before.. i didn't mean to make it sound like chrome lined barrels shoot 4" groups at 100.. by no means do they.. they will shoot sub moa with the right ammo.. but stainless is supposed to be more accurate.. but 99% of shooters could not tell the difference..

when it comes into play, is when your shooting long range..

chicoredneck
06-23-2011, 11:21 AM
Who made your upper, or specifically, the barrel in it? (I'm looking for a chrome-lined carbine upper, but don't want to sacrifice too much in accuracy.) Thanks.

That particular upper is a RRA factory light contour 16" barrel. I don't know if this one just happens to be a fluke or if they are all this accurate as this is the only RRA I have experience with. I do know that there are barrel manufacturers that claim to make MOA chrome lined barrels

tacticalcity
06-23-2011, 11:22 AM
It is all abut how you will be using your rifle.

Stainless is softer metal. That makes it easier to cut so you get very precise rifling that helps increase accuracy. However, it also wears down a lot faster so you could end up shooting out your barrel. It is a great for plinking at the range or perimiter security, but it is not the smartest choice for things like CQB or a main battle rifle because the shear number of rounds going down the barrel make it impractical. Unless you baby it and never shoot it, you will need to replace the barrel within your lifetime. It does not make a good daily shooter or duty rifle for that reason. In a military or law enforcement enviorment, the barrel would likely need to be replaced every few years. So they only put them on Designate Marksman type rifles and they are typically only semi-auto. Everyone else gets a chrome lined barrel.

Chrome-lining typically hurts accuracy a little bit because it is not uniformly applied. Plus it is applied to chrome-moly barrels which are not as easy to cut and typically do not have as perfect rifiling as stainless barrels would. However, they last FOREVER. Even if it is a CQB or main battle rifle, odds out it will out last your lifetime, your kids lifetime and their kids lifetime. In a military or law enforcement enviorment it would last 10+ years easy. Usually barrels get replaced because of new technology that leads to new ammo requiring a new twist rate. The barrels are rarely completely shot out. And those rifles get fired on full auto and three round burst. So there is no way you will shoot it out.

I own one of each.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh183/tacticalcity/Tactical_Collection.jpg

motorwerks
06-23-2011, 3:14 PM
LOL I own a few of each, and as a normal Joe, I can't tell that ether cleans or shoots better. :D

Noonanda
06-24-2011, 9:29 AM
How do Chrome moly barrels that are not crome lined hold up? Neither one of my AR barrels are CL, but I am not using them ITLOD (in the line of duty) one is my Coyote slayer and one is just for fun

HK Dave
06-24-2011, 10:14 AM
I once asked Larue about his stainless barrels... and whether i could buy replacements when i shot mine out... their response, "We don't sell replacements, if you shoot it out, give us a call, we'll just replace it for you."

;)

IPSICK
06-24-2011, 11:10 AM
I don't have much experience with chrome lined barrels, but my stainless 18" JP can shoot less than 0.5 MOA @ 100 yards.

chicoredneck
06-24-2011, 11:14 AM
How do Chrome moly barrels that are not crome lined hold up? Neither one of my AR barrels are CL, but I am not using them ITLOD (in the line of duty) one is my Coyote slayer and one is just for fun

It will last a very long time especially in 223. Cl barrels have a little more life in them than non CL, but really not that much. Non- CL barrels are more sensetive to rust/corrosion, but if you clean your rifle it's not a big deal. Really, unless your dumping large quantities of corrosive ammo down your tube and don't plan on cleaning, live in a very humid and/or salty environment and don't oil your barrel, or planning on doing full mag dump after mag dump after mag dump, you don't need to worry about it.

Noonanda
06-24-2011, 11:18 AM
Really, unless your dumping large quantities of corrosive ammo down your tube and don't plan on cleaning, live in a very humid and/or salty environment and don't oil your barrel, or planning on doing full mag dump after mag dump after mag dump, you don't need to worry about it.

I live in the desert and dont shoot corrosive through my Ars so these will probably last forever LOL

Thanks

missiontrails
06-24-2011, 11:23 AM
That particular upper is a RRA factory light contour 16" barrel. I don't know if this one just happens to be a fluke or if they are all this accurate as this is the only RRA I have experience with. I do know that there are barrel manufacturers that claim to make MOA chrome lined barrels

RRA is not my personal choice, but the Wilson barrels they use are apparently damn accurate.

chicoredneck
06-24-2011, 11:28 AM
RRA is not my personal choice, but the Wilson barrels they use are apparently damn accurate.

Just curious, any reason you have been displeased with RRA. I picked mine up simply because I received a screaming deal on it and so far it has been great. But, like I said this is the only RRA I have experience with.

mif_slim
06-24-2011, 11:30 AM
It's not which is better it's who's making it and the QC they take to make a barrel is what makes accuracy.

A chrome-line made by a good barrel turning company will be better then a stainless steel bbl turned by me... Haha