PDA

View Full Version : Drop-In Handguards, Carbine

Baga
06-22-2011, 6:01 PM
I have the plastic standard handguard on my AR. I told myself I would leave it like this because I like the look of the standard carbine. But now I'm starting to have a different vision.
I was maybe thinking of purchasing a Drop-In Handguard, carbine length. Which brand do you recommend? I listed a few below. What's your experience on reliability, quality, tight fit , not loose, etc. on those brands or any brands. These are probably all the same just different names.

Midwest Industries:
http://66.147.244.241/~aronefi1/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/midwest-industried-mctar-17g2-gen-2-drop-in-handguards-21.jpg

Daniel Defense:
http://www.cgwgun.com/images/products/DD-5010.gif

Troy:
http://www.rifleoutfit.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/r/srai-mrf-d7bt-00-1_2.jpg

xxINKxx
06-22-2011, 6:13 PM
I replaced my plastic handguards with the Midwest industries brand. Zero play or movement, Even with flashlight, and VFG or AFG I had on there. Fit is 100% perfect. I would purchase them again if I get another non railed upper that I wanted to add a quad rail.

The pic of the MI ones you posted look like standard free float rail and not the acual 2 piece drop in version your asking about.

This is what I got and am in love. I was scared they would wobble like the plastic ones, but nope..Solid

http://www.riflegear.com/p-38-midwest-industries-two-piece-forearm-carbine-length-mctar-17-gen2.aspx

tomd1584
06-22-2011, 7:24 PM
If you're willing to spend the $$ and want a drop-in FF, go with the Daniel Defense Omega or the Centurion Arms.

CK_32
06-22-2011, 7:27 PM
Daniel Defence omega 7 FTW!

Check out my YouTube channel at my AR I went from basic to tacticool

rareair
06-22-2011, 7:34 PM
I'm sort of partial, but oh well.......Troy gets my vote :D

CHS
06-22-2011, 7:39 PM
On a budget, the MI's are actually really nice.

I don't know what DD was thinking with the EZ CAR. It's really not that great, not what you would expect from DD.

Troys are heavy and sloppily machined I've found.

The best, if you have the money, is the DD Omega. Hands down.

Not on that list, but HIGHLY recommended are the Knights RAS. They're built like Swiss clocks. You can find pretty good deals on them occasionally.

Surefire's are nice, but weird to install and the top rail doesn't sit at receiver height (really not a problem for 99% of setups). Bonus: They come with Surefire rail ladders, which are easily the best in the industry.

dieselpower
06-22-2011, 7:47 PM
I have had; CAA, 1st Samco, DD, Troy, KAC RAS, GG&G, Plastic double shielded Carbine and Plastic DPMS Glacier M4 handguards.... I have plastic Carbine now.

I will be going to standard plastic A2 guards when I go dissy this summer. I will add a short VFG rail...thats all I need. for a flashlight and VFG.

Baga
06-23-2011, 10:07 AM
With the Daniel Defense Omega 7, is this a straight drop-in, no gunsmithing/modifications to the rifle for install (example: don't have to remove the Delta Ring assembly and don't have to punch out the front sight housing off)

What makes the Daniel Defense Omega rail more expensive than the Midwest Industries rail?

pch_331
06-23-2011, 10:14 AM
I have both the Daniel Defense Omega and Centurion Arms C4 rails. Both are rock solid with the Centurion Arms C4 costing less than the DD. The Centurion Arms C4 does require the removal of the delta ring assembly.

bombadillo
06-23-2011, 10:21 AM
On a REAL budget if you're wanting a great little railed handguard to hang goodies off of is KZ from Botach Tactical. They're $40 and built like a tank.

CHS
06-23-2011, 2:54 PM
With the Daniel Defense Omega 7, is this a straight drop-in, no gunsmithing/modifications to the rifle for install (example: don't have to remove the Delta Ring assembly and don't have to punch out the front sight housing off)

The Omega's are true drop-in's.

What makes the Daniel Defense Omega rail more expensive than the Midwest Industries rail?

Quality of manufacturing. The DD Omega's are magically light, as well. Seriously, they have magic or voodoo or something on the manufacturing floor to get them that light. The MI's are twice as heavy as the Omega's.

PEBKAC
06-23-2011, 3:14 PM
I can personally vouch for the Centurion C4 rails. Very solid, but not a straight drop in and are a bit pricy. You will have to dremel off the delta ring and snap off the front handguard cap, neither of which is amazingly difficult from what I can tell (there's a video on youtube), but is definitely a bit of extra work. So I can't speak to that aspect of the installation process personally but I can vouch for the end result. ;)

motorwerks
06-23-2011, 3:35 PM
Honestly on a budget I would look at the magpul, MOE's with the illumination kit. I LOVE mine, they weigh nothing and are rock solid (most of the time) and the are super comfortable to shoot.

Full Clip
06-23-2011, 3:43 PM
I have had; CAA, 1st Samco, DD, Troy, KAC RAS, GG&G, Plastic double shielded Carbine and Plastic DPMS Glacier M4 handguards.... I have plastic Carbine now.

I will be going to standard plastic A2 guards when I go dissy this summer. I will add a short VFG rail...thats all I need. for a flashlight and VFG.

I went though a few railed guards but after taking a couple carbine training classes, I went back to standard A2s and well, also with just a short bottom rail for a light if I wanted one. The metal guards are too heavy. And for me, pointless, as I don't want/need all the gizmos. I just want a good, light rifle, not a heavyweight Swiss Army knife-style do-all.

Vandal.
06-23-2011, 3:45 PM
:)
i get my KAC RAS tomorrow....
:D

tacticalcity
06-23-2011, 3:46 PM
I sell a lot of the MI drop-ins. They work great.

I personally run the Knight's Armament drop-ins. They too work great.

magic32
06-24-2011, 1:34 AM
Originally Posted by dieselpower

I went though a few railed guards but after taking a couple carbine training classes, I went back to standard A2s and well, also with just a short bottom rail for a light if I wanted one. The metal guards are too heavy. And for me, pointless, as I don't want/need all the gizmos. I just want a good, light rifle, not a heavyweight Swiss Army knife-style do-all.
^ yup. Magpul moe handguard is about as tacticool as I get . I'm diggin the plastic handguards. Very low drag.

bombadillo
06-24-2011, 8:35 AM
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l122/bombadillo08/guns/shot_1307418649230.jpg

$8.00 rail from midway. I got it here from a calgunner but they're less than ten bucks for steel rails all day. It bolted on the handguard from underneath. You have to take the head shield out with a screwdriver and snap it back in afterward but thats about it. Easy to do and agree with magic32, most people don't need the full quad rail setup.

glock_this
06-24-2011, 8:37 AM
On my very first build, I did this as well and went with YHM Carbine Tactical Handguards. Love them, very affordable little upgrade.

Plastic handguards :puke:

VacaDuck
06-24-2011, 9:15 AM
On a REAL budget if you're wanting a great little railed handguard to hang goodies off of is KZ from Botach Tactical. They're $40 and built like a tank.

Primary Arms has a drop in carbine quad rail at about the same price.

Botach sucks.

Zman11
06-24-2011, 9:30 AM
I have the MI Gen 2 drop-in rails on my S&W AR15 and they lock up solid and tight with no movement whatsoever. I have no problem suggesting them as a great option and have heard similar feedback from others who use these.

Troy and DD are well-known for their quality so go with whatever you prefer

In case anybody would like to see a pic installed, here you go- not the best pic but you get the point:

http://i51.tinypic.com/2sae1bt.jpg