PDA

View Full Version : Stag Arms AR-15 plus package

Smoothshifter41
06-22-2011, 4:49 PM
I am set on a Stag Arms Model 3 but I am unsure if I should go with the plus package for an extra $100. Their website lists the differences:

Standard carbine:
- Carpenter 158 shot peened Bolt with black extractor spring
- Shrouded full circle AR15 bolt carrier with side staked carrier key
- 5.56 NATO chambered barrel with chrome lining, 1/9 twist, double lead lapped, and parkerized under the front sight base
- F marked front sight base with taper pins
- Double heatshield handguards
- Mil-Spec size 7000 series aluminum receiver extension with staked receiver nut (also known as castle nut)
- One Magazine

Plus Package includes the above plus:
- 4150 barrel steel chrome lined
- 1/7 Twist rifling
- M4 feed ramps
- Individually MP & HP tested and marked Bolt & Barrel
- M-16 Bolt Carrier
- Heavy (H) buffer assembly
- Two Magazines

How much more reliability am I going to get. Furthermore, what differences will I experience with a 1:7 twist rifling instead of a 1:9 twist?

FourLoko
06-22-2011, 4:52 PM
RE: barrel twist rate, this was just posted, search:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=447504&highlight=twist+rate

as for the rest, you'll never shoot enough to notice a difference in reliability but $100 isn't much, guess it comes down to what ammo you'll be shooting but you probably don't know that either

dieselpower
06-22-2011, 4:57 PM
Its worth $100 if you want that stuff...its not necessary stuff.

762.DEFENSE
06-22-2011, 5:43 PM
If you have the funds for it, go for it. If you dont, thats fine it isnt a deal breaker. Youre good either way honestly.

ArkinDomino
06-22-2011, 6:15 PM
Might I suggest the super secret option of "evading this stag purchase"?? :D

Smoothshifter41
06-22-2011, 6:35 PM

Why?

CK_32
06-22-2011, 6:35 PM
Its worth $100 if you want that stuff...its not necessary stuff.

+1

+10 go BCM you will thank us later

ArkinDomino
06-22-2011, 6:40 PM
+1 for BCM. FTW!

To the OP: buy what you want brother I was just stirring the brew for the weekly stag thread. :)

Arnelcheeze
06-22-2011, 6:48 PM
+1 go stag you will thank us later.
:44: sorry i had to!

Smoothshifter41
06-22-2011, 6:53 PM
Wow guys, thanks. Now I have to get both! FML

Droppin Deuces
06-22-2011, 6:53 PM
+10 go BCM you will thank us later

Why?

Arnelcheeze
06-22-2011, 7:00 PM
Wow guys, thanks. Now I have to get both! FML
the Stag guys and BCM guys always have to battle, both are great.
But you had your mind set on the stag, so stick to the plan!:cool2:

CK_32
06-22-2011, 8:50 PM
Why?

BCM is just BCM they are all over this thread for a reason. Stags are good rifles too but BCM uses DD barrels now have great quality controle and is just a well trusted company. I was into stags too until I read about BCM. I saw like a huge article on both of them side by side and did a ton of research and BCM was just so widely recommended I had to and I havnt looked back. My first upper 1000 rounds in one day not a single malfunction.. Bump firing rapid fire slow fire everything. My new one I have now has about 200 total and still no malfunctions.

And BCM will have a better resale value around here if you decide to sell. Stag is great but I have out standing results in my BCM and only shot a stag once. So bragging for stag would pretty much be all bs or a lie from my mouth. But BCM I can talk about all day and night with my personal experience.

Joe
06-22-2011, 9:07 PM
Stag makes a quality product and I doubt you'd be disappointed. I have a stag upper and it works great. Mine could be considered the "standard" option above. Read the link about twist rates. If you want a 1/7 after that and can justify is costing $100 then buy that. You'd be getting slightly more hypothetical reliability with the m4 feed ramps. The other "upgrades" are good too I guess but definitely not needed.

I say spend the extra $100 on $500 rounds of ammo.

Vandal.
06-22-2011, 9:13 PM
advice...

if you can, get M4 feed ramps. that is useful.
H buffer will help with recoil.

all that other stuff dosent really matter all that much unless your putting 15000+ shots thought the barrel

1:9 = light bullets
1:7 = heavier bullets

hope that helped.

i have a stag upper.. 1:9 i put 1300 rounds 1st day... no issue what so ever... still on issues with it... i had it "dirty" (1500 rounds) and put another 800 though it... no jams no nothing. still hit the 6x6 steel plate @100 yards.

its "clean" now... only 200 though it. ;)

CK_32
06-22-2011, 9:52 PM
And the 1:7 can shoot light bullets also my BCM is 1:7. The 1000 rounds were fed xm193 55gr and that's pretty light. And they fired great. I'm just saying look at BCM and stag both about the same exact price both will wOrk.

Droppin Deuces
06-22-2011, 9:58 PM
BCM is just BCM they are all over this thread for a reason. Stags are good rifles too but BCM uses DD barrels now have great quality controle and is just a well trusted company. I was into stags too until I read about BCM. I saw like a huge article on both of them side by side and did a ton of research and BCM was just so widely recommended I had to and I havnt looked back. My first upper 1000 rounds in one day not a single malfunction.. Bump firing rapid fire slow fire everything. My new one I have now has about 200 total and still no malfunctions.

And BCM will have a better resale value around here if you decide to sell. Stag is great but I have out standing results in my BCM and only shot a stag once. So bragging for stag would pretty much be all bs or a lie from my mouth. But BCM I can talk about all day and night with my personal experience.

Congrats. Your gun works the way it's supposed to.

nikonuser
06-23-2011, 7:26 AM
My first EBR was a STAG and never gave me any problems. It shoots all ammo brands.

CK_32
06-23-2011, 8:56 AM
Congrats. Your gun works the way it's supposed to.

Exactly that's why I bought it. Some other companies can't even do that.

Droppin Deuces
06-23-2011, 10:09 AM
Exactly that's why I bought it. Some other companies can't even do that.

Like which ones? Seriously, dude..help me avoid the wrong brands on my next purchase. I don't want my gun to not work because I didn't buy a BCM this or that.

Vandal.
06-23-2011, 11:32 AM
BCM.... its a good upper. i wouldnt call it the BEST but it is what it is...
just like stag.

here is something to think about the BCM upper...
MAGPUL uses the BCM ARs dose that mean they are the "best"?
(no they are not.)

oh yeah dude your "gun" will work.. as long as it dosent say "hi point" on the side.

:rofl2: