PDA

View Full Version : Question about sandblasting a XD slide and hardware...

OutlawDon
12-24-2006, 10:55 AM
Anyone know what kind of steel the Springfield XD slide, slide stop, trigger, grip safety, etc. is made of? I am thinking about getting a XD9 5" Tactical model, but since they only come in black or green finish, I am considering refinishing the slide/hardware in a brighter silver/stainless color. I know that you can get the slide and hardware done professionally. Would there be harm such as rust, just by sandblasting off the original finish and leaving it as is bare metal with a good coating of protective lubricant?

tankerman
12-24-2006, 12:07 PM
I am pretty sure they make a stainless slide, not sure for which models.

OutlawDon
12-24-2006, 12:17 PM
I am pretty sure they make a stainless slide, not sure for which models.

They do for the 3" and 4" ones, but not the current 5" Tactical model which is the one I want.

Blue
12-24-2006, 12:42 PM
I'd be careful what you do, with the crappy factory finish that is on mine if I don't wipe it down every week with oil it'll grow rust barnacles in nothing flat. I can only imagine how bad it would be with no finish.

damon1272
12-24-2006, 2:49 PM
You may want to consider Robar NP3 for a silver permanent finish for your slide.

D1911
12-25-2006, 8:13 AM
How about a nice hard chrome finish from Tripp? They do excellent work.

avidone
12-25-2006, 9:42 AM
How about a nice hard chrome finish from Tripp? They do excellent work.

Yeah! Like this (not my P7). Of course the frame would still be black. I have had some work done by Tripp's and it was all great.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f364/Avidone/firearm%20related/TrippP7M8.jpg

cornholio1
12-25-2006, 10:47 AM
I'd be careful what you do, with the crappy factory finish that is on mine if I don't wipe it down every week with oil it'll grow rust barnacles in nothing flat. I can only imagine how bad it would be with no finish.

I don't think it has a crappy finish. Its actually pretty nice.

D1911
12-25-2006, 12:00 PM
Yeah! Like this (not my P7). Of course the frame would still be black. I have had some work done by Tripp's and it was all great.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f364/Avidone/firearm%20related/TrippP7M8.jpg

That's what I'm talkin' about, SWEET!

Davidoff
12-25-2006, 5:10 PM
From what I understand the newer XD's have a much better finish than a few years ago. Springfield listened to the problems lots of people had with the rust and wear on the slide and improved their process.

As far as a new finish, you really can't go wrong with any of the major companies doing refinishing. I'd go with Robar, but that's just beacause of the great job they did on my CZ-75B. I don't have any pics right now, but I will try to take some.

Davidoff