PDA

View Full Version : Repeaters in Range at Panoche?

stator
12-24-2006, 11:51 AM
Does anyone have any experience with 2m/440 repeaters that are within range at Panoche?

BigMac
12-24-2006, 6:36 PM
No experience here... don't even know what it is.

Although I think I know where it is.

bwiese
12-24-2006, 6:56 PM
Stator,

Good point. There is a non-ARRL repeater coverage map book I've seen (awhile back at Ham Radio Outlet), dunno if coverage maps online at all. Time to Google a bit.

I'm sure you could hit an out of area 10M FM repeater at the right time of day :)

Oh - RKIs - do digital cellphones work in Panoche reliably? (Verizon analog fallback may work but for those of us w/Cingular, TMobile, etc. that's not too useful.)

BigMac
12-24-2006, 8:24 PM
I get cell reception there with my nextell.

Almost every ridgeline has a good connection.

edwardm
12-24-2006, 9:30 PM
Does anyone have any experience with 2m/440 repeaters that are within range at Panoche?

Been a while since I checked, but I think K6RDJ up on Mt. Oso is reachable on 70cm if you're not down in a "bowl". KD6FW should work on 2m, as well.

I've seen tons of 70cm boxes listen in the vicinity of Fresno/Firebaugh, some on Mt. Bald, others actually on Oso.

stator
12-27-2006, 11:57 AM
Thanks, I will check for Mt. Blad and Mt Oso locations for repeaters. I plan on taking some people shooting soon so they can learn, have fun, and vote approriately.

Last outing was with my nephew at Metcalf Field Sports Park. He took the target and a couple of spent shells into school for show&tell. The target had his first every X-ring shot. He marked it with the day/date, caliber, and rifle used ("SKS"). Hell almost broke loose at the school. They took away the spent shells and debated about the target. They eventually let him keep the target even though it had the evil words, "SKS" on it.

Darn, things are far different when I back when I was in grade school. We use to walk all over the neighborhood with our rifles and shotguns and nobody thought anything about it.

bwiese
12-27-2006, 12:18 PM
Last outing was with my nephew at Metcalf Field Sports Park. He took the target and a couple of spent shells into school for show&tell. The target had his first every X-ring shot. He marked it with the day/date, caliber, and rifle used ("SKS"). Hell almost broke loose at the school. They took away the spent shells and debated about the target. They eventually let him keep the target even though it had the evil words, "SKS" on it..

Oh Stator I love it. Keep him doing this.

edwardm
12-27-2006, 1:01 PM
Last outing was with my nephew at Metcalf Field Sports Park. He took the target and a couple of spent shells into school for show&tell. The target had his first every X-ring shot. He marked it with the day/date, caliber, and rifle used ("SKS"). Hell almost broke loose at the school. They took away the spent shells and debated about the target. They eventually let him keep the target even though it had the evil words, "SKS" on it.

Darn, things are far different when I back when I was in grade school. We use to walk all over the neighborhood with our rifles and shotguns and nobody thought anything about it.

Were the spent shells returned to him? I can't see how they would be contraband, and they certainly are not forfeit merely by taking them onto school grounds.

Perhaps you could use this as an opportunity to start or push for a school-affiliated rifle club. Get the kids out there plinking with .22's, teaching them good manners, good habits, and proper safety and marksmanship.

stator
12-27-2006, 4:49 PM
Were the spent shells returned to him? I can't see how they would be contraband, and they certainly are not forfeit merely by taking them onto school grounds.

The school confiscated the spent shells and would not give them back. They stated that guns and ammo are prohibited on school grounds. He took a spent shell of 7.62x39 (Wolf polymer), a 7.62x51 NATO that I had fired in my M1A, and a spent 12 gauge. He should have reminded the principle to recycle the brass! :)

I am debating on whether to install the 10m rig in the truck.