PDA

View Full Version : Where does 'IM' choke fit in?

SAR_Squid79
06-22-2011, 11:10 AM
I just got my brand spankin' new FNH SLP MK1 shotgun for 3-Gun. I got it with I-Cyl, Mod, and IM chokes.

I've looked all over the internet, and looked at a bunch of shotgun pattern charts like this:

http://www.hunter-ed.com/images/graphics/ammo_pattern_spread.gif

None of these illustrations have the IM choke on them - so - My question is where does the Improved-Modified choke fit into the spectrum?

Thanks!

06-22-2011, 11:28 AM
IM is between modified and full choke

Turo
06-22-2011, 11:33 AM
"Improved" generally means a slightly tighter choke, so "improved-modified" means a little tighter than modified, but not so much that it's to the next tightest choke level.

003 is correct, it sits between modified and full.

Chris M
06-22-2011, 11:45 AM
Here's a decent breakdown of the different types:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun#Pattern_and_choke

POWG
06-22-2011, 11:57 AM
Between Modified and Full.

Likely one of the more useless chokes out there.

As previously posted if I had to use but one single choke for everything 12 Ga., forever, it would .015 constriction, commonly referred to as Lite-Modified and which is between Improved Cylinder and Modified.

By now many on this site may recognize me as one not too keen on "gadgets" ...add-ons, especially with respect to the shotgun. Anything more than the simple brass bead on the end of the barrel is pretty much a waste; and actually, it is more of an ornament anyway!

Rather, I am a proponent of first learning how to operate and shoot the gun. Best investment to be made early on is in quality instruction - not gadgets.

All of the above of course is IMO and in closing you are referred to my key to success in shooting that follows below.

POWG is off his soap-box and is out.

3GunFunShooter
06-22-2011, 12:58 PM
I have used a Light Modified in my Remington 1100 for 3 gun for over 6 years. I probably only changed to a full choke 3 times for long range steel.

SAR_Squid79
06-22-2011, 2:47 PM
By now many on this site may recognize me as one not too keen on "gadgets" ...add-ons, especially with respect to the shotgun. Anything more than the simple brass bead on the end of the barrel is pretty much a waste; and actually, it is more of an ornament anyway!

Rather, I am a proponent of first learning how to operate and shoot the gun. Best investment to be made early on is in quality instruction - not gadgets.

I couldn't agree with you more!

It always aggravates me to no end when I see people with guns that look like Christmas trees with all the lights, and lasers, and grips, and gadgets, and scopes hanging off of them.

But I can shoot! ...and I think anyone that shoots 3-Gun would agree that it is neccessary to choke down as the steel targets get farther away. I just wanted to make sure that I was crystal clear on where the IM choke fits in the equation.

POWG
06-22-2011, 6:57 PM
Yes you can bro ...and thanks for assisting in making my point.

Chokes are tools and if ya gotta shoot "far" why an IM and not a full ? Frequently it is difficult if not impossible to understand the manufacturers and rationale behind their quality control, or seeming lack thereof & packaging.

Sad to say but many shooters have absolutely no idea about "chokes" and the need to first understand with certainty the actual bore diameter of the given gun and also the choke tube; and that the resulting difference between the two is the "constriction" ...i.e., the "choke" [no matter what may be designated on the choke itself]. Who knows ...maybe your IM in your gun is actually some degree of a Full???

POWG has previously posted on the topic of bore diameter, factory choke diameter and the consistent discrepancies found with student's "new guns" from a wide list of manufacturers. If nothing else these validate the importance of the wide variety of quality after market choke tubes, which are really effective, and especially so when deployed by someone who "can shoot".

Bottom line in the hands of a well practiced experienced shooter, chokes, sights, muzzle brakes, lasers, red dot holo's and such all become tools and provide the "icing on the cake" for one who already has "game".

POWG is out ...again.

Revoman
06-22-2011, 7:22 PM
POWG -

While I partially agree with your logic, and really agree with the LM choke, I disagree with your assessment of the IM choke.

IM choke does have a place if you are shooting large steel shot. It will pattern better than traditional Mod chokes using that sort of a load. That is really the reason for the choke. Steel shot changed some of the conventional thinking in chokes.

BigDogatPlay
06-22-2011, 7:49 PM
FWIW a Carlson's Improved Modified fits in the end of my 1100 quite well and does a dandy job on trap from the 22 yard line and in. Farther back I go full. Call me contrarian, but it's the tube and gun combination that seems to perform the best at those distances.

bjl333
06-22-2011, 8:31 PM
Then there are Spreader, Skeet, Improved Skeet, Light Modified, Improved Modified, Extra Full missing from the chart!! :D

POWG
06-23-2011, 3:59 PM
And remember, similar to the rifle ...shotguns can at times burp when fed ammo inconsistent with its preference, such as large pellets whether steel or lead; if and when true bore diameter and choke diameter remain unknown quantities. I guess this is the point I am attempting to make, along with the following.

POWG remains of the opinion that within reasonable limits ... chokes don't kill targets ...execution does.

You could own and use 10 or 12 different chokes and shoot those "heavy loads" so you "got a lotta shot out there in the sky"; but if you don't put it where the target is going to be, no matter the choke or quantity of shot - it is still a miss.

Know your gun ...ammo ...technique ...to kill targets - consistently!

POWG is out - again and for the final time on this one.

Shoot well gang!