PDA

View Full Version : Best Glock?

jjperl
12-24-2006, 2:16 AM
Recently I've been interested in purchasing a Glock and have heard different things about the different models and calibers.

Personally I've been leaning toward the Glock 27 in .40 cal. for CC, but I'm also looking for a "full size" Glock.

What model and caliber do you think is the best for control, knock down power, ease of use, durability, reliability, and maybe concealability?

Stanze
12-24-2006, 2:41 AM
Best Glock?

The one in your hand when the S.H.T.F.!:D

Seriously, it depends on what you want to use it for, it sounds like you want something for self-defense and CCW. Most of them will fill that purpose fine, it boils down to lots of factors, that only you can decide. Buy whatever fits your hand the best and that you can handle confidently. You can alway's consider the GLOCK 30(sub-compact .45 ACP) and work your way down from there.

I wanted a full-sized combat handgun for range use that allowed for affordable practice ammo and easy follow-up shots so I went with the GLOCK 17. I can conceal it with a bit of effort and have it loaded with 9mm Winchester Ranger 124gr. +P "Talon" hollow-points for one potent defense round.

Cardinal Sin
12-24-2006, 2:54 AM
The one that fits your hand the best, and allows you to put lead on the target accurately. If you hit your target then you have solved 90% of the problem. The "Knock-Down" power is debatable. Try diff models of Glocks until you find the one that fits your hand the best. Then shoot it for a bit. Try diff calibers. You will eventually find one that has the right combination of size, recoil, (diff cals "feel" diff and this usually effects aim) and sight picture. Dont get fooled by the "this caliber is better than that" routine. Find that caliber this is right for YOU. Good luck and practice often:)

9mmdude
12-24-2006, 6:54 AM
I would go with the Glock 19. Perfect size, cheaper ammo.

cornholio1
12-24-2006, 7:27 AM
You should post this in the handgun section. Theres a lot of information there

Dont Tread on Me
12-24-2006, 8:00 AM
I would go with the Glock 19. Perfect size, cheaper ammo.

+1

I do have full size and subcompact models as well. All have there role and are different to shoot. The compact models strike the perfect size/usability point.

DW sent me this URL yesterday. It helped sway me on the .40 vs 9mm argument.

9mm vs 40 S&W (http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/docgkr/myhomepage/Handgun_gel_comparison.jpg)

I'm sticking with 9mm. The ammo is cheap, effective, and you can carry a lot of it. Some say that you can get follow up shots off quicker with 9mm. I think that is true with .45 but I find .40 just as simple to shoot.

YMMV of course. What is this with only wanting one Glock? You need at least three:-)

kicker72
12-24-2006, 9:39 AM
I have a glock 22, but I really like the way the 19 feels, that will be my next glock. If you have to get .40 and you want it compact get the 23. I don't like the grips too stubby.;)

norbs007
12-24-2006, 10:31 AM
I think the G23 would suit you well. It's small and compact for CCW purposes, yet it's not too small.

+1 on the G23. That will be my CCW piece in a Milt Sparks IWB :)

TonyM
12-24-2006, 10:37 AM
+1 on the G23. That will be my CCW piece in a Milt Sparks IWB :)

I love my 23's.

My first one is turning 15 years old in about 10 days and I've never had a problem with that pistol and it's been shot a lot.

TMC
12-24-2006, 11:25 AM
Glocks are cheap, get one for every situation like I did, sub compact 39 for warm weather carry (as if I could get a permit :D ), mid size 19 for carry in cold weather (see previous comment), full sizes (17 and 22) for the range and GSSF stock class and 34 & 35 for competition.

Oh yeah, and a 17L or 22L just because they make them.

D1911
12-24-2006, 11:28 AM
I carried a 19 for a number of years and loved it. I imagine the 23 would also be nice with a bit extra oomph. For an all arounder though, I'd go for the 17.

Archenemy550
12-24-2006, 6:35 PM
I would say 23 for full size, and the .45 Cal Glock 30 for sub-compact. :cool:

ocabj
12-24-2006, 7:20 PM
I owned the 23 and 27. Sold them both. Not a fan of the Glock grip angle. The G27 was an awesome subcompact pistol, though, and if I were able to get a CCW, I would have carried it.

If I were going to buy a pistol for CCW, it would be a 9mm subcompact XD. I'd go with one of the baby Para Ords in .45ACP, but there's always been controversy about the feeding reliability of the compact/subcompact 1911 variants (smaller than the 4" Commander design).

12-24-2006, 7:30 PM
I went with the 34 for an all around gun. I've never owned a Glock so I figured that their all out competition version would be a good place to start. If I like the 34 I'll see about getting some others.

Greg-Dawg
12-24-2006, 7:59 PM
Stick with the .40S&W family line in full size: G35
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/Gregdog/Pin%20Ups/Galco002.jpg

GW
12-25-2006, 12:43 AM
G-30 45 ACP It's compact but fills the hand nicely.
I never liked the feel of my pinky hanging in space on the G26 or 27

The G-30 is a great choice-- 10 rounds of 45 will get the job done

leelaw
12-25-2006, 12:49 AM
The best Glock? The one that acts more like a handgun than a hand grenade. ;)

jjperl
12-25-2006, 2:02 AM
The best Glock? The one that acts more like a handgun than a hand grenade. ;)

That's what I'm afraid of. Everyone says they are as durable as anyother quality pistol, but they sure don't look to durable.

I purchased a used Para Ordnance p13 over a year ago and have fired over a 1000 rounds through it with absolutly no problems. It's also taken a few nasty spills on hiking and biking trips with no subsequent problems. :D

Anyone have any info or stories on how durable Glocks actually are?

D1911
12-25-2006, 9:20 AM
There have been a number of articles on torture testing Glocks. The few I have seen have been with the G-17, which included burying it in mud/dirt, running it over, and all kinds of other nasty things and they kept on running. Chuck Taylor has done a couple of articles on his G-17 and I believe it has well over 250,000 rounds with little or no problems. I have seen a few that were shot extensively and had little care that were completely reliable. They're tough!

Dont Tread on Me
12-25-2006, 9:35 AM
You can call Glocks ugly. You can say they feel like toy tupperware. You can argue that they need an external safety. But, you cannot call a Glock unreliable or fragile!

Here are some torture tests:
Chuck Taylor (http://membres.lycos.fr/shooter/glock/glock4.html)
http://www.theprepared.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90&Item

I've been to many shooting matches and if a Glock malfunctions it has always come down to bad hand loads or "custom" parts.

Personally, I shoot about 5k rounds a year and have never had a problem. I have to setup malfunctions to practice my tap and racks.

Ratters
12-25-2006, 9:53 AM
That's what I'm afraid of. Everyone says they are as durable as anyother quality pistol, but they sure don't look to durable.

I purchased a used Para Ordnance p13 over a year ago and have fired over a 1000 rounds through it with absolutly no problems. It's also taken a few nasty spills on hiking and biking trips with no subsequent problems. :D

Anyone have any info or stories on how durable Glocks actually are?

I have several thousand rounds through my G23 and it still goes bang every time. And lets just say maintenence is not my strong suit. ;)

Most Glock Kbooms are ammo related or due to shooting lead in the 22/23 series which have an unsupported chamber and the lead builds up and creates bad pressure problems. There are many replacement barrels out there that will allow you to shoot lead if you must. The Glocks are one of the most reliable and durable firearms you can own.

If I didn't think so I wouldn't have just bought myself a G35 for Christmas. :D

califcowboy
12-25-2006, 10:05 AM
I've got 4 Glocks and the G30 is my favorite. It's also the most accurate out to 15 yards for me.

gloxter
12-26-2006, 7:53 PM
It is an excellent size (for me) to CCW. As mentioned above, it is really cheap to shoot. 1,000 rounds of FMJ can be had, delivered, for just over $100. Buy a thousand rounds a year and you should be fairly proficient with your shot placements, etc.

The gun is extremely durable, is lightweight, fits my hand well, and I've put somewhere in the neighborhood of 5,000+ rounds through it without a hiccup. It's a fine pistol. I'd bet my life on it...then again, I do.

-gloxter

kilword
12-26-2006, 8:17 PM
the one with CZ stamped on the side :P

dk6
12-27-2006, 6:43 PM
I own 3 Glocks but the G30 is the one in my IWB holster more than the others. It is truly a great pistol. I've shot several thousand round through it and have never experienced a malfunction.
If you can find a range that rents guns try a few of them out and see what you like.

Corbin Dallas
12-27-2006, 9:31 PM
I just bought my 3rd glock and I'll never go back to any other handgun. I'm just bummed that the 21SF might not make it to Cali due to lame regulations as of 1.1.07

Durable? Hell yes! Dependable? Fuggin-A!

Call it whatever you want, I'll call it mine. Also, you can't beat the simplicity of this weapon, carbon steel barrel and teardown/cleaning is a SNAP!

Current inventory is G26, G23 and soon to arrive G17.

When my next 30 is up, I'll be looking for a G27 or maybe a G30.

chiefcrash
12-28-2006, 7:38 AM
http://www.counter-strike.de/content/general/strategie/images/Glock18.jpg

G18

mike100
12-28-2006, 11:16 AM
I would never get a regular glock model...been there,done that. Maybe the super compact model in a different caliber(like g29 in 10mm) or the singlestack 45 model they have.

I did a side by side with the springfield XD and a glunk 35 and I admit that the austrian made gun felt a little better. not to mention the aftermarket support. I don't care for glocks, but wouldn't care to own any other kind of tupperware just because of the aftermarket support and reliablity.

proraptor
12-28-2006, 11:45 AM
I dont want to start a war here or anything but I think the springfield XD is a lot better than the glocks...It offers a lot more for the money

Sirius
12-29-2006, 9:52 PM
I have owned about every Glock and sold them all except the G31. Guess I am partial to the 357 sig.

tenpercentfirearms
12-30-2006, 8:37 AM
I have carried a Glock 27 for the last 6 years. It is very comfortable and concealed if you carry it in the waistband. What I do with my 27 is I carry it with the grip extension and have a standard magazine in my pocket. If I ever need to carry it in tighter quarters, I will take out the grip extension mag and put in a standard magazine. I can shoot that Glock 27 pretty darn accurate because I practice with it.

I sell XDs out of my shop too and if you ask me, I think they are really top heavy and bulky. I would pick a Glock over an XD anyday. That is just me.

Incitatus
12-30-2006, 9:03 AM
G21 full size .45 ...........I'm 6'4, big hands.
4 years and thousands of rounds later, not a single hiccup. Accurate as hell once you learn how to shoot it.

Got Stuff?
12-30-2006, 10:50 AM
I love my Glock model 30!

The Glock 26 is also good for the ladies.

In my dreams though, I dream of a Glock 18:D

The biggest reason I like Glocks, they work every time. And that's #1 on my list.

...Robert...
www.OutfittersSurplus-Gifts.com

loneeagle308
12-30-2006, 7:10 PM
Glock 34 or 35 is the way to go for target shooting.

12-30-2006, 7:52 PM
FInally got my new model 34 out to the woods today. I'll be keeping this one! Fired about 500 rounds through it just to make sure it got broken in and it is boringly reliable so far. My hands from loading the mags over and over are somewhat the worse for wear though.