PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 500 safety question

the_t0ny
06-21-2011, 4:11 PM
I have a mossberg 500 and I was at prado earlier today shooting some skeet, and half way throught the day, my safety go stuck on and wouldn't slide forward to disengage. I ended up having to use my friends 870. This isnt the first time that it's happened to me, other times, I was able to force the safety forward and it would work, or I'd tighten the screw on top with my knife and it'll work, but this time none of that worked. I'm looking into getting an aftermarket safety for it, like the vang comp one, but I wanted to see what some of you guys have done to fix this problem.

and btw, after shooting about 50 rounds through my friends 870, it did get me thinking about getting one. The only reason I didn't in the first place was because of the shell elevator blocking the bottom and how I would pinch my fingers sometimes. But after dealing with the safety issue, I'm starting to reconsider it.

glock_this
06-21-2011, 4:21 PM
I swapped out my 500's safety for an "enhanced tactical safety" button off eBay. Works smooth and easier to use with the thumb. The safeties on the 500 are notoriously hard to swap out as you have to disassemble and do it from the inside and they use a special nut head so you have to notch a slice to use a screw driver and blah blah.. but it was worth it.

Your issue is likely due to the detent spring and ball under the safety is binding.

the_t0ny
06-21-2011, 5:20 PM
just got done taking it apart and cleaning it, and you're kind of right on the detent ball binding, it looks like it came out of where it was supposed to be at and ended up in the red hole behind it and since there was no spring underneath the detent ball, it wouldn't let me push the safety forward. thanks for the help. I don't have an ebay account so I wont be looking the enhanced tactical safety up, but I will most likely be getting the vang comp unless I find something better out there.

ABN-RGR
06-22-2011, 11:24 AM
Tony-

I purchased a safety from Elite Tactical Advantage two weeks ago and love it (http://elitetacticaladvantage.com/products/shotguns/mossberg/safety.html). It's $5 cheaper than the Vang Comp oversized safety, but I have never done a side by side comparison.

Before you replace the safety, Google for instructions on how to do it - I didn't until AFTER I had the safety out (I was focused on whether ot not I could remove the security screw with a regular screwdriver - I could), and it was a PITA to replace.

The safety button's screw bites into the actual safety, and is held agasint the receiver with this screw only. When I removed the safety button's screw, the actual safety "fell" onto the trigger group and I had to remove the trigger group to fix it.

Good luck with whatever you do.