PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Gets CCW. House just passed

05FLHT
06-21-2011, 3:17 PM
The bill just passed the House and is going to the Governor for a guaranteed signature.

Mstrty
06-21-2011, 3:18 PM
The House just passed. Senate already passed last week. Gov. is expected to sign. He has stated he supports the bill. Looks like Illinois will be the last donut.
Story (http://www.wbay.com/story/14951210/2011/06/21/assembly-begins-debate-on-concealed-carry)

BlindRacer
06-21-2011, 3:24 PM
CONGRATS!

Holding my breath til that signature is on the bill though.

kazman
06-21-2011, 3:24 PM
Do I really need to hear this? Me in Santa Clara where it's 'Shalln't Issue'?

Eat Dirt
06-21-2011, 3:28 PM
About Dang Time

I know they came close a few years ago ,,,But ,,, The Democrate Gov. at the time shot it down

Got wife's family in Fond Du Lac, Wic.

SA227driver
06-21-2011, 3:47 PM
Every little bit helps. Way to go Wisconsin!

Window_Seat
06-21-2011, 3:50 PM
Good for WISCONSIN!

Now Illinois is the lone doughnut hole.

Erik.

uyoga
06-21-2011, 3:55 PM
God Bless America!

CmpsdNoMore
06-21-2011, 4:20 PM
Heard this on the radio while driving home from work. YES!

They mentioned that it would probably go into effect in October or November. My birthday is in September, so I think that'll be a good time to buy myself a present. :D

G60
06-21-2011, 4:46 PM
This is exciting news. I wonder if people will finally shut up with the 'wild west' myth now. (I know the answer is no)

advocatusdiaboli
06-21-2011, 4:56 PM
Good for them. They live in a free state that honors our constitutional rights.

Decoligny
06-21-2011, 5:14 PM
Can't wait to see what kind of reciprocity it includes.

CmpsdNoMore
06-21-2011, 5:22 PM
Here is a .PDF from the assembly's website:
https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2011/related/lcamendmemo/sb93

I wish we would have had constitutional carry, but this seems to be good.

One thing I'm not happy about is that we STILL can't have long arms inside a vehicle unless it is unloaded and in a case. They changed the laws so only handguns are exempt.

Pat Riot
06-21-2011, 9:32 PM
Read an article that said permit holders from other states would be allowed to carry in Wisconsin. Not sure about non-res permit recip or non-res Wisconsin permits though...

Decoligny
06-21-2011, 9:43 PM
Just got my CA CCW call today, pick it up tomorrow a.m. so I should be good to go once this law takes effect.

Gray Peterson
06-21-2011, 9:44 PM
Read an article that said permit holders from other states would be allowed to carry in Wisconsin. Not sure about non-res permit recip or non-res Wisconsin permits though...

Though Wisconsin will not issue non-resident permits, they do not have a problem like in Colorado where they only recognize resident reciprocal licenses. The only non-resident licenses they will not recognize is that of residents of Wisconsin.

Window_Seat
06-21-2011, 10:15 PM
I spoke with the staff member for the author of the SB 93, and he stated that Utah permits will be recognized.

Erik.

The Shadow
06-21-2011, 10:17 PM
And while Illinois is leaning toward shall issue, our not so useful idiots in Sacramento continue to do what they can to restrict the Second Amendment in California.

Eat Dirt
06-21-2011, 10:18 PM
And while Illinois is leaning toward shall issue, our not so useful idiots in Sacramento continue to do what they can to restrict the Second Amendment in California.

AMEN................

$P-Ritch$
06-21-2011, 10:26 PM
Do I really need to hear this? Me in Santa Clara where it's 'Shalln't Issue'?

Haha, exactly what I was thinking, except I didn't think of the work "shalln't.":D

However, I am very happy the good people of WI and hope that one day we can follow the other states that don't feel the need to babysit it's populace.

ccmc
06-22-2011, 5:30 AM
Maybe if California, Maryland, New Jersey and New York voters really went for change and elected a republican majority legislature and governor the same thing could happen there. That's what it took in Wisconsin.

Somebody posted in another thread that gun control isn't high on the list of priorities of most California voters compared to good public schools (which in much of California is an oxymoron - UC campuses excepted), good roads (many aren't great) and certain personal freedoms (abortion, drugs, gay marriage, etc). My answer to that is gun control doesn't have to be a high priority in California as it's already in place.

yellowfin
06-22-2011, 5:53 AM
Do I really need to hear this? Me in Santa Clara where it's 'Shalln't Issue'?I seem to recall the evil witch of Santa Clara being sued and/or brought up on corruption charges some time ago. Any progress on that?

cineski
06-22-2011, 6:03 AM
Hoorah for the good guys. Although it's a shell of the original intention, it's a definite step in the right direction. Is it possible to sanction Illinois to oblivion?

Luieburger
06-22-2011, 7:13 AM
Should have been constitutional carry, but politics happened. At least Wisconsinites can carry now.

Illinois and DC are the last! HR822 will take care of DC, and Illinois is coming round the mountain. Only 2 votes short last time.

Window_Seat
06-22-2011, 7:56 AM
Should have been constitutional carry, but politics happened. At least Wisconsinites can carry now.

Illinois and DC are the last! HR822 will take care of DC, and Illinois is coming round the mountain. Only 2 votes short last time.

How so? I'm still confused about that because DC doesn't issue.

Erik.

IGOTDIRT4U
06-22-2011, 8:12 AM
Haha, exactly what I was thinking, except I didn't think of the work "shalln't.":D

However, I am very happy the good people of WI and hope that one day we can follow the other states that don't feel the need to babysit it's populace.

Probably because you were thinking of the proper contraction of "shall not",... "shan't". :rolleyes:

Window_Seat
06-22-2011, 8:15 AM
I just spoke with Rep. Stearns' office, and confirmed that HR-822 WILL NOT make it so that we can CCW in DC.

DC has no CCW issue (just like Illinois), so I would NOT carry in DC if I were anybody with a head on their shoulders because of how the DC authoritarians like to make international incident cases out of a lawful citizens.

Erik.

J.D.Allen
06-22-2011, 8:52 AM
Just got my CA CCW call today, pick it up tomorrow a.m. so I should be good to go once this law takes effect.

Sure...rub it in you lucky dog...of course if I ever visit Wisconsin (I have no reason to) I'll be able to carry with my AZ permit, but still not in CA where I spend a lot of my time due to work...

ccmc
06-22-2011, 8:55 AM
Sure...rub it in you lucky dog...of course if I ever visit Wisconsin (I have no reason to) I'll be able to carry with my AZ permit, but still not in CA where I spend a lot of my time due to work...

I keep pounding the drum on this, but this (to me anyway) is the worst thing about CA gun laws ie that there's no way a non-resident can legally carry a loaded firearm.

Glock22Fan
06-22-2011, 8:57 AM
Though Wisconsin will not issue non-resident permits, they do not have a problem like in Colorado where they only recognize resident reciprocal licenses. The only non-resident licenses they will not recognize is that of residents of Wisconsin.

And that's what Colorado should have done, and what I told the Governor at the time - not that he listened. That would have fixed the problem they were trying to fix, without spoiling things for the rest of us.

Glock22Fan
06-22-2011, 9:00 AM
I just spoke with Rep. Stearns' office, and confirmed that HR-822 WILL NOT make it so that we can CCW in DC.

DC has no CCW issue (just like Illinois), so I would NOT carry in DC if I were anybody with a head on their shoulders because of how the DC authoritarians like to make international incident cases out of a lawful citizens.

Erik.

Is that all the news you got :( Though I presume that if you'd gotten more, you would have posted it here and in the HR-822 thread.

I'm on the edge of my chair waiting for this, and nothing seems to be happening.

ccmc
06-22-2011, 9:03 AM
And that's what Colorado should have done, and what I told the Governor at the time - not that he listened. That would have fixed the problem they were trying to fix, without spoiling things for the rest of us.

Now if only someone would tell the governor of California - not that he'd listen either :)

Bigtime1
06-22-2011, 9:12 AM
Congratulations to the cheese heads!

Aldemar
06-22-2011, 9:36 AM
Did they copy our may-issue or jump directly to shall-issue? I couldn't find out either way by reading it. It would seem to me that they went shall-issue as there doesn't seem to be any language giving the power to county or city authorities.

ccmc
06-22-2011, 9:42 AM
Did they copy our may-issue or jump directly to shall-issue? I couldn't find out either way by reading it. It would seem to me that they went shall-issue as there doesn't seem to be any language giving the power to county or city authorities.

Pretty sure it's shall issue. I don't think shall issue has anything to do with whether it's a state or local agency that issues. In may issue Maryland it's the Maryland State Police. In neighboring shall issue Pennsylvania it's the county sheriff.

CalBear
06-22-2011, 9:42 AM

Erik.
Doesn't DC still have some CCW regulations on the books?

http://www.dcregs.dc.gov/Gateway/RuleHome.aspx?RuleNumber=24-2304

Luieburger
06-22-2011, 9:51 AM
How so? I'm still confused about that because DC doesn't issue.

Erik.

I could be spreading FUD, but I thought that 822 in its current form would apply to DC even though it doesn't issue permits because it isn't a state, and DC residents could get out of state permits to allow carry everywhere but Illinois (if Walker signs Wisconsin's bill). After re-reading the full text of the bill, I don't see how that idea came about. It's probably somewhere on the long 822 thread that's been floating around the forum.

I'll put up a FUD sign for myself and call it good :fud:

CmpsdNoMore
06-22-2011, 2:07 PM
A few nice things about the Wisconsin law:

You can use completion of a hunter's safety course as your "training" requirement.

License cannot cost more than $37, not including $13 for the background check. Renewing the license cannot cost more than $12 and requires a background check, but it doesn't mention a charge for the background check.

From the looks of it, all personal information won't be made public unless it's needed for a court case or checking to make sure the person carrying is doing so legally.

Window_Seat
06-22-2011, 2:26 PM
I could be spreading FUD, but I thought that 822 in its current form would apply to DC even though it doesn't issue permits because it isn't a state, and DC residents could get out of state permits to allow carry everywhere but Illinois (if Walker signs Wisconsin's bill). After re-reading the full text of the bill, I don't see how that idea came about. It's probably somewhere on the long 822 thread that's been floating around the forum.

I'll put up a FUD sign for myself and call it good :fud:

(a)Notwithstanding any provision of the law of any State or political subdivision thereof, related to the carrying or transportation of firearms, a person who is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm, and who is carrying a government-issued photographic identification document and a valid license or permit which is issued pursuant to the law of a State and which permits the person to carry a concealed firearm, may carry a concealed handgun (other than a machinegun or destructive device) that has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce, in any State, other than the State of residence of the person, that--

`(1) has a statute that allows residents of the State to obtain licenses or permits to carry concealed firearms; or

`(2) does not prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms by residents of the State for lawful purposes.

`(b) A person carrying a concealed handgun under this section shall be permitted to carry a handgun subject to the same conditions or limitations that apply to residents of the State who have permits issued by the State or are otherwise lawfully allowed to do so by the State.

`(c) In a State that allows the issuing authority for licenses or permits to carry concealed firearms to impose restrictions on the carrying of firearms by individual holders of such licenses or permits, a firearm shall be carried according to the same terms authorized by an unrestricted license or permit issued to a resident of the State.

`(d) Nothing in this section shall be construed to preempt any provision of State law with respect to the issuance of licenses or permits to carry concealed firearms.'.

(b) Clerical Amendment- The table of sections for such chapter is amended by inserting after the item relating to section 926C the following:

`926D. Reciprocity for the carrying of certain concealed firearms.'.

(c) Severability- Notwithstanding any other provision of this Act, if any provision of this section, or any amendment made by this section, or the application of such provision or amendment to any person or circumstance is held to be unconstitutional, this section and amendments made by this section and the application of such provision or amendment to other persons or circumstances shall not be affected thereby.

(d) Effective Date- The amendments made by this section shall take effect 90 days after the date of the enactment of this Act.

I asked, and they said DC is the "political subdivision thereof".

In this case, the provision of law of DC is that no permits are issued.

Erik.

cineski
06-22-2011, 2:30 PM
Can't wait to see how many WI sheriffs blatantly refuse to obey this law like they have in the past.

Window_Seat
06-22-2011, 4:20 PM
Can't wait to see how many WI sheriffs blatantly refuse to obey this law like they have in the past.

I doubt seriously that at all. If they were to do such things... Nevermind, because it's just not going to happen.

Erik.

bulgron
06-22-2011, 4:27 PM
Does anyone know the particulars of the Wisconsin bill yet? In particular, what about carry on school grounds or in restaurants that serve alcohol? Also, did they add a "guns not welcome in this business establishment" mechanism to the law?

CmpsdNoMore
06-22-2011, 6:45 PM
Does anyone know the particulars of the Wisconsin bill yet? In particular, what about carry on school grounds or in restaurants that serve alcohol? Also, did they add a "guns not welcome in this business establishment" mechanism to the law?

Here is a .PDF from the assembly's website:
https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2011/related/lcamendmemo/sb93

This is a direct link to a pdf from the assembly's website. ;)

yellowfin
06-22-2011, 6:53 PM
So what will be the official pro-2A celebratory cheese?

cineski
06-23-2011, 6:27 AM
You must not remember the open carry debacle that happened in WI? There were sheriffs literally stating that they didn't care what the law was and if they saw someone open carrying they would lay them out. Of course with concealed it's a little different....until those sheriffs see you printing.

I doubt seriously that at all. If they were to do such things... Nevermind, because it's just not going to happen.

Erik.

Gray Peterson
06-23-2011, 6:49 AM
You must not remember the open carry debacle that happened in WI? There were sheriffs literally stating that they didn't care what the law was and if they saw someone open carrying they would lay them out. Of course with concealed it's a little different....until those sheriffs see you printing.

With the new statute, the one part which takes effect immediately, is that the Disorderly Conduct statute has been completely rewritten to specifically prevent this.

66.0409 (6) Unless other facts and circumstances that indicate a criminal or malicious intent on the part of the person apply, no person may be in violation of, or be charged with a violation of, an ordinance of a political subdivision relating to disorderly conduct or other inappropriate behavior for loading, carrying, or going armed with a firearm, without regard to whether the firearm is loaded or is concealed or openly carried. Any ordinance in violation of this subsection does not apply and may not be enforced.

Wisconsin Carry will likely engage in an education campaign. Now that the statute is made extraordinarily clear, any arrests will not have qualified immunity for the officers involved.

cineski
06-23-2011, 7:44 AM
You can't rewrite the un-Constitutional mentality of certain sheriffs. You can only fire them.

Hopalong
06-23-2011, 7:53 AM
Wow, to go from no issue to shall issue is a huge step.

Hard to believe, really.

Have they really leap frogged California to shall instead of may?

Plus the fees seem a lot more reasonable than Ca.

ABN-RGR
06-24-2011, 12:56 PM
Although the accessability of a CCW permit varies greatly by state (and by county, as evidenced in CA), Illinois is now the only state that does not allow/permit its citizens to CCW.

http://armsandthelaw.com/archives/2011/06/wisconsin_passe.php

http://hotair.com/archives/2011/06/23/wisconsin-residents-finally-regain-their-second-amendment-rights/

CCWFacts
06-24-2011, 1:14 PM
You know what's sad about this? If 2,000 more Illinois gun owners had gotten off their lazy azzes and VOTED (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illinois_gubernatorial_election,_2010) last election, Illinois would also be going shall-issue this year.

2,000 lazy gun owners couldn't be bothered to check a box on a ballot and drop it in the mail and that's why Illinois will have to wait for years of court cases to go shall-issue.

yellowfin
06-24-2011, 1:21 PM
You know what's sad about this? If 2,000 more Illinois gun owners had gotten off their lazy azzes and VOTED (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illinois_gubernatorial_election,_2010) last election, Illinois would also be going shall-issue this year.

2,000 lazy gun owners couldn't be bothered to check a box on a ballot and drop it in the mail and that's why Illinois will have to wait for years of court cases to go shall-issue.We have the same problem here in New York. It arises from people being too used to having the political status quo maintained regardless of how they vote, so they see their vote individually as a futile act.