PDA

View Full Version : California Travel

johnbeaver
06-21-2011, 2:31 PM
We are taking a family vacation to California this month. Traveling with family in an SUV. What is the proper way to transport my handgun when we cross the border? I do have a Tx. CHL. I know I am not allowed to carry there, but was wondering about having the handgun in the vehicle. I believe Ca. also has a mag. capacity restriction. Any advice would be appreciated. By the way, is a TX plate cause to look for guns? Thanks.

Coded-Dude
06-21-2011, 2:44 PM
must be in a locked container and unloaded(empty chamber and empty magazine/or no magazine inserted). you can have 10 round magazines(with bullets in them) in the same locked container.

Roddd
06-21-2011, 6:50 PM
Texas plates isn't probable cause to look inside your car. If they ask to, you can either say yes or no. It's up to you. I know this will be contrary to the belief of many on this forum, but LE isn't looking to line a family up in handcuffs on the side of the road and confiscate your guns.
What parts of California are you guys visiting? Enjoy your stay!

Notorious
06-22-2011, 8:22 AM
Stay out of CA and take your money elsewhere. This state sucks the big one and I am buying as much as I can online to starve them of their tax revenue. But if you must come, try to not buy anything here and just find it online and have it shipped to your home in Texas so you don't pay taxes here. It's almost 10% sales tax and our gas taxes are the highest in the country at 18.4 cents a gallon and yet they are broke?

Whatever. Rant over. Have a good time here. Whereabouts are you going to be?

johnbeaver
06-23-2011, 5:22 PM
Thanks for the info. guys. Coded-Dude, thank you. I'll get a locking case before we go. Roddd, Anytime I travel out of state, I think about the columnist from Houston who's car was the only one searched at a crossing into Canada. When he finally asked why the agent told him, "because we know all Texans carry guns." Notorius, my wife said we're going to California, so that's that. We have talked about taking the kids there for several years and since two of them just graduated high school it looks like this is the year. We plan on starting at San Diego and working north. Coast to S. F. then the wine country and back down the middle to the big trees. You have a beautiful and wealthy state. No reason it should be in the shape it's in. But that a whole other conversation. Thanks again.

Dutch3
06-23-2011, 6:20 PM
You might consider a divert after the wine country and come up to visit Lake Oroville. It is the principal reservoir on the State Water Project, and is actually full right now (within 1 foot of capacity). That doesn't happen very often, and is a beautiful sight. About an hour north of Sacramento on SR70.
Also in the area is Huntington's Sportsmans' Store, adjacent to the original RCBS manufacturing facility.

chadrish
06-23-2011, 9:28 PM
Find a way to visit Yosemite, I promise you it will be the highlight of your trip. If you only get a day there at least you will know where to go first when you come back. It has became a tourist attraction, but it is still an amazing site to see. As far as your gun, there is a lot of confusion even within the law enforcement community on how you can legally transport guns. I have watched fellow officers tell people completely wrong information on where it was legal or illegal to have ammunition. The biggest thing is keep the gun in a locked container. The ammo doesn't necessarily have to be separate container, but it can't be touching the gun. For example in California a shotgun with no ammo in the chamber, but a round in the sleeve on the stock is considered loaded. The biggest thing is that don't give anybody a reason to search you. Which means just go about your life as you normally would anywhere else.

Librarian
06-23-2011, 10:20 PM
The ammo doesn't necessarily have to be separate container, but it can't be touching the gun. For example in California a shotgun with no ammo in the chamber, but a round in the sleeve on the stock is considered loaded.

This is incorrect.

jeep7081
06-23-2011, 10:25 PM
We are taking a family vacation to California this month. Traveling with family in an SUV. What is the proper way to transport my handgun when we cross the border? I do have a Tx. CHL. I know I am not allowed to carry there, but was wondering about having the handgun in the vehicle. I believe Ca. also has a mag. capacity restriction. Any advice would be appreciated. By the way, is a TX plate cause to look for guns? Thanks.

Longguns:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_California

Handguns:
http://www.wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Transporting

By states:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_the_United_States_(by_state)

Roddd
06-24-2011, 8:42 AM
You'll love San Diego. The coast is a beautiful drive and the redwood trees are humbling.