PDA

View Full Version : Self Sponsored Academy Gear Question

gotthelife4u
06-20-2011, 3:00 PM
I am going to start BAM level III academy in September. I need to buy my own gear and I wanted some suggestions.

I need to supply myself with a side arm. I am thinking of either a Glock 22 or Smith and Wesson M&P .40. I just don't know which one to pick.

I need to get all my own leather as well. Does anyone have any experience with Bianchi Accumold elite gear.

center_x
06-20-2011, 3:15 PM
Im sure some will disagree, but I suggest going with the glock. Its simple and reliable.

1911su16b870
06-20-2011, 3:38 PM
Glock 17 in 9 will be less expensive to shoot than the 22 IMO.

Bianchi Accumold is great stuff, cleans with a damp cloth, but that is the most it will shine. Some academies have their cadets use basket weave with the high gloss shine applied. Ask the Tac-staff or graduates what is expected.

ckim34
06-20-2011, 4:13 PM
Go to a range and shoot both guns. See which one is best for you.

The academy should provide you with a list of required gear.

PositiveInfluence
06-20-2011, 4:14 PM
Look at what your local departments carry and go from there. If they primarily carry Glock then you are golden with the 22. Bianchi makes an awesome product, but I would think basket weave is what you will need. Make sure to ask them what they prefer their cadets to have.

gotthelife4u
06-20-2011, 5:25 PM
The academy I am going to requires basket weave pattern. Almost all holders need to have hidden snaps. I am going to try and get on with San Jose or Santa Clara as a reserve. The guy at the gun store told me to get a glock because both departments are authorized to carry those. I have seen a few SJPD guys carrying the M&P. I was surprised the gun shop had a 22 in the RTF texture, but I heard those tear up clothing.

One other question, is it worth shopping for gear over the net or should I go to a uniform store?

Falconis
06-20-2011, 5:46 PM
If you know exactly what you want, the net. If you are unsure or just don't know, the store.

If you have to provide your own ammo, try the internet unless they are specific about the type of ammo you shoot. I know ammoman.com has some of the better prices.

9mmepiphany
06-20-2011, 9:38 PM
I used to wear Accumold, combined with a Safariland SLS holster (I'd go ALS nowadays) for duty, but many departments still require basketweave leather for dress functions.

I'd check with the academy to see if they have a requirement. If not, got with the nylon, your back will thank you and your classmates wearing leather will envy you

code33
06-20-2011, 11:25 PM
If you are already enrolled, LC Action in SJ has the best deal on Glocks.
http://www.lcaction.com/ikorb.php?func=catalog&category_id=543&product_id=1946
Since you are starting in September, buy one during their Glock Days event in July and they are slightly cheaper.

For the M&P, Adamson Police Products in Hayward has the best deal on them. Don't know if they will extend the LE pricing to recruits, though.

Can't tell you which one to get as it's a personal fit. Both are good and won't let you down.

Duty holster, Safariland 6360, which as the ALS feature that I'm a big fan of.

I know LC Action has a display with holsters to try out with dummy guns.

Milspec714
06-21-2011, 1:02 AM
http://www.uniformswarehouse.com/prostores/servlet/StoreFront

Great place and very good prices... got everything here for went i went thru academy back in day for half the cost everyone else paid elsewhere...

Notorious
06-21-2011, 1:31 AM
Glock. Never go wrong with a Glock.

Bianchi Accumold Elite is used by a lot of the guys here that stick with the B/W look. I use Bianchi Accumold Ergo-Tek. Solid stuff. Lasts a long time too.

SJgunguy24
06-21-2011, 7:45 AM
San Jose issues the Sig 226 in 9mm, approved manufactures are Colt, Beretta, S&W, Sig, and Glock. L.C. will give you the best deal with your paid POST receipt for the acadamy. LC and Summit are great shops, I've been to 10-8 once and the LEO's in there gave me the stank eye.
I'm not a LEO but I usually have to buy my shoes/boots from police supply stores because no place else has my size. I also get some of my gun stuff at those places and a few times I've gotten into conversations with LEO's about firearms and the law.
I know LC and Summit both will measure you up and taylor your uniforms. This could help you if you buy online. Whatever happens, don't quit and good luck.

gotthelife4u
06-21-2011, 9:01 AM
I will have to check out LC Action. I wonder if I can buy a Gen 4 this way. Thanks for the info.

ckim34
06-21-2011, 3:25 PM
The academy I am going to requires basket weave pattern. Almost all holders need to have hidden snaps. I am going to try and get on with San Jose or Santa Clara as a reserve. The guy at the gun store told me to get a glock because both departments are authorized to carry those. I have seen a few SJPD guys carrying the M&P. I was surprised the gun shop had a 22 in the RTF texture, but I heard those tear up clothing.

One other question, is it worth shopping for gear over the net or should I go to a uniform store?

SJPD has their own academy but I'm not too sure if reserves are allowed to be from other academies.

jgorman
06-21-2011, 5:53 PM
I had some SJPD instructors in my academy and they were always giving the self sponsored recruits the number to there reserve hiring office. If I remember right one instructor was saying that SJPD hasn't had an academy class in two years, and weren't planning on having one anytime soon. Good luck at the academy, I graduated almost three months ago and it was tough.

bridgeport
06-21-2011, 9:15 PM
Glock. Never go wrong with a Glock.

Bianchi Accumold Elite is used by a lot of the guys here that stick with the B/W look. I use Bianchi Accumold Ergo-Tek. Solid stuff. Lasts a long time too.

In the past two years, I have seen three glock pistols self destruct, a .40 and two 9's, one of which was in my hands.

code33
06-21-2011, 9:48 PM
Nope, unless you're already sworn in, it has to be a rostered gun and they will swap the large caps with 10-rounders.

I will have to check out LC Action. I wonder if I can buy a Gen 4 this way. Thanks for the info.

NorCalPatriot
06-21-2011, 10:18 PM
I attended both BAM II and III at South Bay within the last 2 years. When you register and pay your fee's, they will provide you with documentation that lists all required gear. Pay attention to what the paperwork says... you will soon learn that attention to detail begins immediately. Attend the academy orientation (I think it's mandatory) in business attire and take notes. If you have questions, ask the staff before your class starts.

Go to LC action, Summit, or 10-8 police supply and check out the different types of leather/synthetic leather gear. Get to know it as you'll be wearing it for the entire duration of your academy attendance. I prefer a real leather garrison (under) belt and duty belt (Sam Browne) and the rest of the gear from safariland. It's really your personal preference, but I think the safariland stuff is more rugged and looks better then the accumold stuff.

Your sidearm purchase should also be based on what feels best when you do some test shooting at a local range. Most of the recruits in my classes used a glock 17 or 22, with a good number of sig 226 9mm/40cal, with the occasional smith m&p 9/40, Berreta 92 in 9/40, or random HK. All ammo will be supplied by the academy so you dont have to purchase your own unless you want to practice on your own time. There are a ton of holsters out there to choose from as well. I used a safariland 070 level III throughout the academy and when I was finally hired this year, was issued a safariland 6365. Which ever holster you choose, you absolutely have to practice drawing from it. The range staff is excellent. RO's Hooper, Nolen, Mendiola, and other assorted SJPD rangemasters are top notch and will teach you the basics. Pay attention to ALL of the safety rules. The quickest way to get booted from the academy is to f*ck up during range and violate a safety rule. Listen to everything and do what you're told to do.

The academy at south bay is no joke. The staff wants you to be successful and will "motivate" you. They will instill the basic core framework for you to become an officer. You have to want to be there. You will be challenged academically, mentally, and physically. The TO's are hard for a reason, and director Bradshaw is a hard charger.

You need to remember a few things; The academy is a team environment but also an individual one. Stand out as a team player as well as an individual. You need to show up every day prepared for anything. Your uniform should be ironed (with creases), boots and leather gear polished, and firearm clean. You should be prepared for a suprise inspection at ANY time. When the TO's tell you to study something or you "might want to know" something you can count on being asked. The team or squad you are with will be inspected as a group. If you have screw-off's in your group, they will be singled out at first, then the entire team will become accountable as well. Study hard and be willing to help out other recruits that struggle. Be accountable for your actions. Integrity and honesty are the core values of law enforcement. Remember, you are being watched, evaluated, and critiqued the minute you pull into the parking lot until the time you drive off. This information will be passed onto your background investigator in the event you are lucky enough to reach that phase of the testing process.

Law enforcement is a great career. I was lucky enough to be hired as a level II reserve officer for an east bay city a few months ago and can honestly say it's one of the greatest accomplishments in my life right up there with becoming a parent, getting married, and graduating college.

Feel free to IM me offline if you have any specific questions. Good luck!

NCP