View Full Version : Loose pistol grip 5901a1

06-20-2011, 12:16 AM
My pistol grip gets loose after shooting slugs and buck shot in my 590a1(#51670). The model is the AR style stock with pistol grip. I'm currently really happy with the way it's set up and don't want to replace the AR style grip and stock. I also really don't want to use anything on bolt like locktite since I want to be able to break it down for future maintence. I heard it's a hassle to remove bolts once you apply this stuff. Thanks in advance for your help!

06-20-2011, 5:04 AM
use blue Loctite, and just a little..

06-20-2011, 4:20 PM
Hello prc77,

Thanks for the advice. Just one more question. Have you experienced this before? I just think it's a little weird that this is happening when I shoot my shotgun.

06-20-2011, 4:38 PM
My mossy 500 just had it's wooden stock get super loose, even when shooting light birdshot.

two problems

1. wood stock was cracked (doubt this applies to you), but I fixed it

2. two washers were used on the bolt instead of 1, which didn't allow the bolt to grab as much of the threads in the receiver (check if the bolt has sufficient grab in the threads)

I also used the blue loctite, no problems since and to test it I've gone through 50rds of buck/slugs and 150 rds of birdshot

06-20-2011, 4:44 PM
+1 for both of the above. The stock bolt loosening even a bit will cause wobble, and blue Loctite used very sparingly can be your friend. Only a tiny drop will go a long, long way.

06-20-2011, 4:47 PM
Loctite that baby! If it's difficult to remove the bolt after you loctite it, just use a hair dryer to heat it up and it'll come off without a hitch.

06-20-2011, 6:32 PM
I use blue Loctite an anything with threads. Just a little bit. Keeps things from loosening and easy to remove if needed.

06-20-2011, 8:48 PM
prc77, repubconserv, BigDogatPlay, and FUBAR

Thanks very much for your guidance and tips. I will try the loctite sparingly and see how this goes. Maybe I'll test it out with sample bolt first and then try heating it up(blow dryer) for my peace of mind and see how easy it'll be to unscrew after.

I still would like to see how common it's for people with my pistol grip config to run into the same dilemma/defect. Again thanks for helping a fellow forum member.

06-20-2011, 9:00 PM
I had a collapsible stock on my FNH TPS that I wanted to replace andthat thing was on tight with red loctite. You could see the red stuff all around the threading. I used my wife's hair dryer on it for a coupleof minutes and it came off without a problem.

06-20-2011, 9:07 PM
There are different grades of Loctite and other threadlockers.
Look for one that says "Frequent Repair Type" or something similar.
Do not use "Stud and Bearing Mount", Loctite Red or other permanent type lockers.

06-20-2011, 11:08 PM
I've used blue loctite on a pistol grip ar-style stock before and removed the components later without any problem. That's the good thing about medium loctite, you can change your mind later. Oh yeah, if you do use it, let it dry overnight before shooting that shotgun.

06-21-2011, 7:59 PM

Did you have the same problem I did after shooting slug or buck?

06-26-2011, 10:06 PM

Did you have the same problem I did after shooting slug or buck?

No, I sold that gun, the mesa tactical stock I had on there was really solid though. My new shotgun has a Hogue stock which I'm really liking.

Is your stock all plastic? Like an ATI stock? I think some of the Mossbergs are sold that way, I could imagine that causing you trouble.

06-28-2011, 9:38 PM
Sorry for the belated reply, but yes my stock is from ATI. I'm looking at the Blackhawk Gen 2 Knoxx.

06-28-2011, 11:01 PM
I also have a 590A1. With the location of its safety switch, I actually like to have buttstock on my 590A1 so my thumb can operate the safety switch without moving my hand or fingers.

The original Speedfeed stock that came with my 590A1 has quite a long LOP, so I switched it with a 12" LOP Hogue stock (it came with a decent recoil pad) and I liked it a lot.

06-29-2011, 8:07 PM
+1 for the 12" Hogue stock, they're really nice (and grippy), and they'll never wobble or break on you. I also really like the Hogue forend.

06-29-2011, 8:27 PM
+ 2 for the Hogue 12" LOP stock and there forend too

08-07-2011, 12:49 AM
For now I don't care for traditional stocks on my shotgun. I understand why people don't like the pistol grip. It still doesn't worry me because my trigger finger is my safety.

08-07-2011, 1:14 AM
Try one of those washers that have teeth to stop the screw from coming loose. I forgot what it's called, but it looks like a bicycle sprocket.

08-07-2011, 1:50 AM
I had the same problem on my 870 and folding cop stock. I just used super glue. Still tight after several hundred rounds off bird, buck and slugs.