PDA

View Full Version : Questions for LEOs pertaining to Parole Officers

P.W.
06-19-2011, 7:32 PM
I searched through threads on CG and other websites pertaining to these questions and I'm still trying to wrap my head around some things. I have a few questions if you all don't mind.

1. Do they have peace officer powers 24/7 or only while on duty ?
(I know CDCR Parole Officers are considered Peace Officers under "830.5", however I've seen contradicting reports on this subject throughout my searching.)

2. Is the academy put on by CDCR for Parole Officer recruits considered a POST basic academy ?

3. Lets say a POST basic academy graduate were hired on by CDCR as a Parole Officer. Could they later on Lateral to a Department without having to attend a basic academy again ?

smkqbns
06-19-2011, 8:14 PM
I searched through threads on CG and other websites pertaining to these questions and I'm still trying to wrap my head around some things. I have a few questions if you all don't mind.

1. Do they have peace officer powers 24/7 or only while on duty ?
(I know CDCR Parole Officers are considered Peace Officers under "830.5", however I've seen contradicting reports on this subject throughout my searching.)

2. Is the academy put on by CDCR for Parole Officer recruits considered a POST basic academy ?

3. Lets say a POST basic academy graduate were hired on by CDCR as a Parole Officer. Could they later on Lateral to a Department without having to attend a basic academy again ?

1. While on duty only, according to the letter of the law.
2. No- and I would not count on any future PA academies.
3. Not sure about this one, I would think it would depend upon how much time had passed since the completion of the basic academy.

Notorious
06-20-2011, 1:00 AM
Not sure what the course subjects would include because every department runs it a little differently. I heard LASD used to run a 4 month academy and get their deputy recruits out to the jails to do custody and then when they go to a patrol assignment, they go back to the academy to finish up the patrol course. So the question would be if the initial custody portion would suffice for lateral purposes? I would also presume the parole agent academy does not focus much on patrol tactics either, not that the state minimum does either but it is up to the department.

Can any LASD deputies confirm this?

Watchur6
06-20-2011, 3:46 AM
1. Peace officer powers are on duty only.

2. It is not a POST basic Academy. 832 powers of arrest/firearms only.

My answer pertains to Probation not parole. Essentially the same thing though. Both are 830.5.

Marty33
06-20-2011, 5:55 AM
CDCR does not hire "parole officers". That is an assignment you move into after working the line in a prison for some time.

Bryan16
06-20-2011, 9:02 AM
Parolees/inmates will refer to you as a parole officer, the correct title is actually parole agent (in CDCR). Not being smart, just trying to help you out so you use the correct title when contacting the department :)

SoCalDep
06-20-2011, 9:30 AM
Not sure what the course subjects would include because every department runs it a little differently. I heard LASD used to run a 4 month academy and get their deputy recruits out to the jails to do custody and then when they go to a patrol assignment, they go back to the academy to finish up the patrol course. So the question would be if the initial custody portion would suffice for lateral purposes? I would also presume the parole agent academy does not focus much on patrol tactics either, not that the state minimum does either but it is up to the department.

Can any LASD deputies confirm this?

The LASD academy is a full POST academy, patrol and all...In fact, several participating police agencies send their recruits to train at the LASD academy (Burbank and San Fernando PDs are two I know off the top of my head). Following the academy LASD deputies are sent to custody training. Following their custody assignment they are sent to a patrol school to refresh patrol-related training from the academy.

P.W.
06-20-2011, 11:02 AM
Thank for the insight into this stuff guys, I really appreciate it.

BigDogatPlay
06-20-2011, 1:01 PM
CDCR does not hire "parole officers". That is an assignment you move into after working the line in a prison for some time.

^^^ This ^^^, parole agent is not an entry level position. Everyone I know has walked a tier or a SHU as a CO more than a few times.

tom2
06-20-2011, 5:06 PM
Questions 1 and 2 were answered.

In regards to your question #3:

CDCR is not a POST agency. Your POST academy certificate will not "freeze" once you start at CDCR and you will not get a "Basic Certificate" after your one year / 18 months on with CDCR.

hope this helps...

hansen
06-20-2011, 6:38 PM
1. Peace officer while on duty, not 24 hour. A recent assembly bill was introduced, but it did not go through.

2. CDCR Parole academy is POST certified but limited. You get enough POST courses to be a peace officer. I instruct at the parole academy and had to be certified by POST as a proctor.

3. Police departments will not accept CDCR POST or CDCR Parole POST certificates. Agents/officers are given just enough POST training to be recognized as peace officers. The only thing you will not have to retake is the POST test as long as you do not have a year break in service.

There was testing for parole agents about a year ago. It was open to anyone who met the minimum requirements. It was open to other departments and some PD, SO, and probation officers were recently hired. Applicants do not have to have state service to be eligible for employment.

deadcoyote
06-20-2011, 7:00 PM
^^^ This ^^^, parole agent is not an entry level position. Everyone I know has walked a tier or a SHU as a CO more than a few times.

This is innaccurate. I know many Parole Agents who never set foot in an institution and it was an entry level job for them. If you dont have a bachelors degree then you can start as a CO in CDCR and later move to parole.

smkqbns
06-20-2011, 9:40 PM

Crap, I am so screwed, I'm going to need to turn in my badge and gun in the morning...I came into my position from outside of CDCR (and outside of law enforcement for that matter).

All jokes aside, CDCR employment is not necessary. In fact, DAPO (Division of Adult Parole Operations) was moving away from the staffing model that drew mostly from CO's. In going to a more, "case load experience base" (read: social worker) work force, the department is trying to move away from the costly notion of "re-incarcerate for any violation."

Regardless, all future PA academies have been canceled, and the future of CA State Parole is sitting in the pile o' crap known as AB (California Assembly Bill) 109.

Feel free to PM with any questions, I may be unemployed soon, enjoying a nice cigar, and will have ample time to respond.

five.five-six
06-20-2011, 9:46 PM
This is innaccurate. I know many Parole Agents who never set foot in an institution and it was an entry level job for them. If you dont have a bachelors degree then you can start as a CO in CDCR and later move to parole.

juvenile officers, but that sounds like a real crappy job to me

Watchur6
06-20-2011, 9:59 PM
It can be a "crappy job"sometimes, like anything else it's what you make of it.