PDA

View Full Version : Seating/crimping

Blue
12-22-2006, 1:48 PM
You guys have two seperate dies for seating and crimping right? Isn't that the right way to do it? Seat first and then crimp?

MisterDudeManGuy
12-22-2006, 2:18 PM
You guys have two seperate dies for seating and crimping right? Isn't that the right way to do it? Seat first and then crimp?
If you think about it a bit, you couldn't really do it in the reverse order, since a crimp closes the neck a bit, and relies on the bullet to be in place to establish the crimp. Depending upon the crimp die, you may also have to have a bullet with a cannelure.

Now if you're asking if it has to be a two step process, then no, it doesn't have to be. I have a single die that does seating and crimping at the same time.

Find the instructions for the die set you're using for the answers. If not set up correctly, the crimp can be under or over done, resulting in a dangerous situation. Hope this helps.

tankerman
12-22-2006, 2:40 PM
Crimping works better as a seperate step if you do not trim your cases frequently, or on big medecine loads where you really need a nice good heavy, properly placed crimp, or target rounds where uniformity makes a difference. Single step is fine for light loads, trimmed cases, plinking etc..

Californio
12-22-2006, 2:45 PM

Depends Rifle NO, Pistol yes and it depends on if you are using taper or roll crimp.

example .45acp I seat with the seating die a group of reloads and then taper crip by kissing the reloads in the sizer die, works great.

.44 mag, seat the bullet for a group and then turn the die down and the seater up or use a Lee crimp die to put in a roll crimp.

30Cal
12-22-2006, 3:37 PM
For revolver or lever action loads, I would use a the roll crimp you get with the seating die. Other than that, I would go with a separate die.

Most competition shooters do not crimp bottle necked rifle loads.

Ty

Bing
12-22-2006, 6:04 PM
I have a Dillon 3 pc die set and it comes with the seating die and crimp die. And to answer the question yes ...seat first then crimp.

Blue
12-22-2006, 6:38 PM
OK I have the 3 die RCBS 45acp pistol set. I've been having problems getting the seat/crimp die to work properly. I spent like an hour on the phone earlier with Ivan and we decided that since I'm using cast bullets I need to get a second die. Either a seater die or a crimp die because I have the double function one but just need to use it as a single. Using both functions at once just isn't working. If I seat the bullet, then take the seating stem out, and adjust the crimp the bullets come out perfect. If I try doing it like the instructions say, I get a bullet that won't chamber. Anyone have problems with cast bullets like this? I think the crimp is mashing the bullet as it's trying to seat it.

Californio
12-22-2006, 7:42 PM
OK I have the 3 die RCBS 45acp pistol set. I've been having problems getting the seat/crimp die to work properly. I spent like an hour on the phone earlier with Ivan and we decided that since I'm using cast bullets I need to get a second die. Either a seater die or a crimp die because I have the double function one but just need to use it as a single. Using both functions at once just isn't working. If I seat the bullet, then take the seating stem out, and adjust the crimp the bullets come out perfect. If I try doing it like the instructions say, I get a bullet that won't chamber. Anyone have problems with cast bullets like this? I think the crimp is mashing the bullet as it's trying to seat it.

Yes,

I have RCBS .45acp steel and carbide die sets. Never have been able to get the double function to work. Just seat your bullets, then put the sizer die back in place and run the cartridge so it just kisses the sides of the die, instant taper, works for jacketed and plated bullets either 1911 or revolver. No need for another die.This works for a .45win mag 1911, Grizzly, as well and they recoil, with no bullet movement. I have used swaged lead in the 1911 using the same process.

Blue
12-22-2006, 8:00 PM
Yes,

I have RCBS .45acp steel and carbide die sets. Never have been able to get the double function to work. Just seat your bullets, then put the sizer die back in place and run the cartridge so it just kisses the sides of the die, instant taper, works for jacketed and plated bullets either 1911 or revolver. No need for another die.This works for a .45win mag 1911, Grizzly, as well and they recoil, with no bullet movement. I have used swaged lead in the 1911 using the same process.

Alright cool so I'm not the only one that has had this problem. I'm going to pick up another die anyways then because I'm trying to run this in a progressive press.

Bing
12-22-2006, 8:06 PM
I originally had Lee 45 ACP dies on my Dillon 550 but it never crimped it properly either. I ended up replacing all my RCBS & Lee dies to Dillon dies. It was rather expensive but definitely worth it for me. I don't have any issues with lead or SWC bullet heads with the Dillon dies.

Blue
12-22-2006, 8:10 PM
I don't have any issues with lead or SWC bullet heads with the Dillon dies.

But the Dillon dies do the seating/crimping in two stages right? The RCBS one I have is "supposed" to do it in one step.

Bing
12-22-2006, 8:20 PM
The RCBS dies and Lee dies are supposed to do that but the Dillon dies crimp the case better. If you don't want to spend the $$ on a complete set then I suggest getting their crimp die @ $19.45.

tankerman
12-23-2006, 4:38 AM
Yes,

My carbide RCBS work fine. You may want to try putting the die farther into the press first, then put the seater in all the way, seat a bullet, take out the seater plug back the die almost all the way out. Then pull the handle and leave the seated bullet all the up and screw the die in with the seater plug still out. Once you feel solid contact with the neck of the case lower the bullet and put another quarter turn(approximately) on the die. Raise the bullet fully then check the crimp, and adjust the die if necessary. Tighten die,raise bullet again and put seater plug back in until it touches the top of the bullet.

Californio
12-23-2006, 8:18 AM
My carbide RCBS work fine. You may want to try putting the die farther into the press first, then put the seater in all the way, seat a bullet, take out the seater plug back the die almost all the way out. Then pull the handle and leave the seated bullet all the up and screw the die in with the seater plug still out. Once you feel solid contact with the neck of the case lower the bullet and put another quarter turn(approximately) on the die. Raise the bullet fully then check the crimp, and adjust the die if necessary. Tighten die,raise bullet again and put seater plug back in until it touches the top of the bullet.

I will give it a try, need to load 500, 230gr plated for falling plates real soon, I will make some dummies and see how they work with moonclips and cylinder lineup.

Thanks