PDA

View Full Version : outlawed ammo

nine mil thrill
06-19-2011, 4:56 PM
while cleaning out my gun safe, i discovered some black talon ammo. i understand that this is outlawed. is there a list that i can to refer to ??

rromeo
06-19-2011, 5:10 PM
It's not outlawed.

nick
06-19-2011, 5:13 PM
It's not outlawed.

Cokebottle
06-19-2011, 5:29 PM
Send it to me.

I will legally dispose of it.

One round at a time :D

Seriously... it's not illegal. It is nearly identical to the Ranger SXT, but the Ranger lacks the black coating (which does nothing).

760knox
06-19-2011, 5:30 PM
Ill take it:D

Uriah02
06-19-2011, 5:31 PM
So will I! Ranger SXT = Same Exact Thing in reference to Black Talon.

erik_26
06-19-2011, 7:23 PM
Totally legal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_talon

Look into the Winchester PDX1 as a modern day replacement. You might be able to sell your Black Talon for a good chunk of change (compared to what you initially paid for it).

Notorious
06-20-2011, 1:48 AM
It's only unavailable as far as new sales but it is totally the same as the non-evil SXT which is not considered evil.

I have a few boxes as well but just not in pristine condition as they have been loaded and chambered but swapped out when the new stuff was issued.

Andy Taylor
06-20-2011, 8:32 AM
Back in the day Di-Fi tried to make it illegal. Winchester pulled it from the market before she could, so she had better things to worry about I guess, like how many rounds in a mag.
There is a lot of FUD surrounding Black Talons, I've even heard it from a firearms instructor.

Ron-Solo
06-20-2011, 1:41 PM
Ranger SXT = Super Expansion Talon

The poitically correct name, same ballistics

BigDogatPlay
06-20-2011, 1:58 PM
It is nearly identical to the Ranger SXT, but the Ranger lacks the black coating (which does nothing).

^^^ This ^^^

Winchester pulled BT off the shelf. No one banned it.

Notorious
06-20-2011, 6:30 PM
^^^ This ^^^

Winchester pulled BT off the shelf. No one banned it.

More accurately, Winchester pulled the product off the market amid all the controversy and fake data before the government stepped in to ban it on bad data. Winchester proactively changed the looks and name and remarketed it to be more consumer friendly.

However, there is no doubt that had Winchester not done what they did, the government would have done something.

BigDogatPlay
06-20-2011, 6:31 PM
Both true.... particularly at the time that it was all going down.

nine mil thrill
06-22-2011, 5:14 AM
on searching for RANGER SXT, i am finding that this is for LEO only ?? this is like the ban on non LEO from purchasing a ruger lcp.

Notorious
06-22-2011, 5:33 AM
on searching for RANGER SXT, i am finding that this is for LEO only ?? this is like the ban on non LEO from purchasing a ruger lcp.

They are so restricted that you can find them on cheaper than dirt for general civilian sale.

G-Man WC
06-22-2011, 6:04 AM
They were never outlawed. I have boxes of them...some where! Back in the day the media with dubious distinction called it cop killer ammo.
In cahoots with the brady bunch no doubt, it was a tactic used my the left
to futher or cement laws on gun control. -g

Merc1138
06-22-2011, 8:15 AM

There is no ban on non-leo from purchasing a ruger LCP. Plenty of non-leo have them in California, and plenty of shops in CA will sell them to you(you just need to go through the single shot exemption process, at the end you'll have a fully functional LCP). Regarding the ammo, they wrote it on the box but it doesn't mean anything. There is no restrictions at all on black talons or ranger sxt ammo.

Cokebottle
06-22-2011, 4:01 PM
+1

And the great thing about the LE boxes... 50 rounds for the price of 20 in the "civilian" pack.

The manufacturers intend them for sale to LE. Supposedly Federal is pretty strict with their dealers and will pull the line if they see them for sale to the general public, but I've never had any problems getting Winchester or Speer Gold Dot LE packs from http://www.ammunitiontogo.com

It's not a legal issue at all, it's an issue with the manufacturer and dealer.